Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 11:41 AM

1,418 posts, read 3,459,475 times

Advertisements

well it's a bit of a drive from where you are but the French Hound in Middleburg is such a place...

I have to agree that the lack of mom and pop restaurants and the quality of the food in general, is a major hole here in NOVA. Coming from the NYC metro area, the food even in the burbs was MUCH better. Here it's all about chains, which is unfortunate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 12:03 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,100,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
well it's a bit of a drive from where you are but the French Hound in Middleburg is such a place...

I have to agree that the lack of mom and pop restaurants and the quality of the food in general, is a major hole here in NOVA. Coming from the NYC metro area, the food even in the burbs was MUCH better. Here it's all about chains, which is unfortunate.
Maybe that's true in Loudoun, where you live.

I don't mean to be snippy, but it simply is not all about chains in Eastern Fairfax, Arlington or Alexandria. I eat out regularly in these parts of NoVa, and can't remember the last time I've set foot in a chain (other than McD's).

Or perhaps you have a particular type of "Mom and Pop" in mind, in which case you may need to sponsor a few ethnic whites from the Northeast to move down here. To me, a family-owned Indian or Thai place can be a "Mom and Pop" place every bit as much as some Italian place with checkerboard tablecloths.

Old 04-12-2011, 05:05 PM

1,753 posts, read 2,410,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arielmina View Post
I agree with JEB. There are LOADS of small hole-in-the-wall restaurants around here but they are not European. I can think of many small three to four table restaurants that specialize in Korean, Thai, regional Chinese, Salvadorean, Peruvian, Ethopian, Middle-Eastern, Caribbean, etc. As for quality - I think it depends on individual notions of what is good "home-style" comfort food. Many of these little restaurants are dirt cheap.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:33 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,520,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Maybe that's true in Loudoun, where you live.

I don't mean to be snippy, but it simply is not all about chains in Eastern Fairfax, Arlington or Alexandria. I eat out regularly in these parts of NoVa, and can't remember the last time I've set foot in a chain (other than McD's).

Or perhaps you have a particular type of "Mom and Pop" in mind, in which case you may need to sponsor a few ethnic whites from the Northeast to move down here. To me, a family-owned Indian or Thai place can be a "Mom and Pop" place every bit as much as some Italian place with checkerboard tablecloths.
I'd argue that Sterling and to a lesser extent, Leesburg (especially inside the bypass) are as non-chainy as anywhere in Eastern Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria. Ashburn or Leesburg outside the bypass probably trend chainy.

As for Mom and Pop Italian that my wife and I frequented: Paradiso (Springfield), Mom's Pizza (Arlington), Tutto Italiano (I got delivery a LOT while in Arlington), Mama Lucci's (Leesburg), Rocco's (Leesburg), Venice (Winchester) ... you also have the small (2-15 restaurant) chains like Anthony's or Castiglia's out in Winchester/Front Royal. Not sure why folks are saying there's a shortage of mom and pop places.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:54 AM

5,391 posts, read 7,238,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stpickrell View Post
I'd argue that Sterling and to a lesser extent, Leesburg (especially inside the bypass) are as non-chainy as anywhere in Eastern Fairfax, Arlington, and Alexandria. Ashburn or Leesburg outside the bypass probably trend chainy.

As for Mom and Pop Italian that my wife and I frequented: Paradiso (Springfield), Mom's Pizza (Arlington), Tutto Italiano (I got delivery a LOT while in Arlington), Mama Lucci's (Leesburg), Rocco's (Leesburg), Venice (Winchester) ... you also have the small (2-15 restaurant) chains like Anthony's or Castiglia's out in Winchester/Front Royal. Not sure why folks are saying there's a shortage of mom and pop places.
I agree, and you've listed a good sampling.

Chain restaurants certainly have a noticeable presence here. Maybe that's why some people think that's all we have available, because they see them at major intersections, from the major roadways, in front of strip malls, and in the indoor malls.

But I can think of countless little strip malls, the ones with the usual assortment of Hallmark, CVS, nail salon, etc, that each have at least one little family owned restaurant - it may be Chinese, Italian, Indian, Salvadoran, or other. These places are all over! They are often in little shopping malls, though, not in a downtown business district (since NoVA isn't characterized by that for the most part).

Old 04-13-2011, 06:58 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,115,788 times
Also, Herndon has a surprising number of good hole-in-the-wall restaurants. All sorts of ethnic specialties, and you find them in the most unexpected places. The best Thai restaurant in Nova (IMO) is Thai Luang in Herndon, and you have to look for it because it's hidden away in a commercial park.

Old 04-13-2011, 07:11 AM

1,652 posts, read 3,883,935 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
FWIW, I think this recession is going to result in the creation of a lot more cafes with specialized cuisines. I also think it will lead to a lot more local artists and musicians.

Here's why--so many people are moving here because one person in the family had a job, but the spouse and maybe the kids also need to find work. Some of them are bound to be foodies, artists, and musicians. People from Louisiana will want cajun cuisine, those moving here from California will want more fusion dishes, those from New Mexico will look for southwestern dishes, etc. At first they may be disappointed to see what's available here--but many will be inspired and see what a great opportunity awaits them if they think about starting their own place. Or even just supplying food to local stores/restaurants.

Nova is a good place to start a business, we have a lot of people who like to eat out and who have money to spend, and a need has been identified (i.e. we could use more foodie restaurants). Sounds like a good combo for entrepreneurs.
I agree - and you've already seen that happen to some extent in a place like Del Ray (in Alexandria city), for instance, which tends to attract a lot of younger people (as opposed to harried, well-established families) and newbies generally: the Dairy Godmother and Cheesetique were opened by a Wisconsinite and a Chicagoan, respectively (you'd think a place with a name like 'Cheesetique' would've been opened by the Wisconsinite.. hee hee). The guy who owns Old Town Coffee, Tea, and Spice (also in Alexandria) is from the Chicago area, too, but I think he came here a decade or so ago, so I dunno if he counts. No idea where the Lost Dog (in Westover, N. Arlington) people are from, but they have quite a few hot subs on the menu, so it could be from someplace closer.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:00 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,459,475 times
actually, I guess my point is that there are very few GOOD mom and pop restaruants. I know you named Mamma Lucci's in Leesburg and Anthony's which is in Lovettsville and Purcellville...I have been to both and consider both horrible Italian food if you are actually accustomed to good Italian food (my husband is Italian). I understand that you don't agree with me, but in my opinion, and it is just that, MY OPINION...there is a real shortage of good independent restaurants compared to the NYC Metro area. There is a serious lack of diners, good breakfast spots, mom and pop bakeries, Italian food etc. I will clarify I am in western Loudoun so can't speak to closer in to DC. I also know I'm spoiled coming from where I do, but again it's my opinion and I'm sticking to it. I have yet to find a quality Italian family cooking (not fancy schamzy Italian like Palio's in Leesburg) anywhere around here (except in my kitchen). I get that it's because of the ethnic makeup down here, totally get it...but it is what it is.

No point arguing because obviously everyone has different likes and dislikes, but moving here recently, i can tell you that is the one thing we don't like about this area - the food. Well the good news is that it causes us to eat home more often which is saving us money.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:00 PM

128 posts, read 413,967 times
I agree with arielmina and Alicia. One of the things that my husband and I are continuingly disappointed with is the food in NoVA. For such an affluent area, we just don't get it! We keep trying places that people recommend and they are mediocre to awful. Like arielmina, we are saving money by eating at home more . We're in Herndon, and the only two places that we have been going back to are more "fast food"-type places; The Deli, Santini's, and Five Guys. Maybe we're spoiled too...coming from NYC, New Orleans, Austin and Chicago . On a positive note, I am enjoying cooking more.

Old 04-13-2011, 01:03 PM

128 posts, read 413,967 times
Thanks, Caladium! We've been meaning to try Thai Luang.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia