Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 11:26 AM

3 posts, read 5,848 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Has anyone used a reliable, honest tax attorney in the area who you'd recommend?

Thanks much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2011, 02:37 PM

2,462 posts, read 8,929,579 times
Do you need a tax ATTORNEY or a tax advisor/accountant?

Old 04-20-2011, 03:09 PM

3 posts, read 5,848 times
Default thanks

yes, a tax attorney

Old 04-20-2011, 05:31 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,861,738 times
That sucks. Hope someone on here can recommend a good one. Check online of course and see if you find any reviews, etc. - that would be a start.

Old 04-21-2011, 05:06 AM

2,462 posts, read 8,929,579 times
The best federal tax firm in the country, Caplin & Drysdale, is in DC. If there is a lot of money at stake, this would be your best bet.

Old 04-21-2011, 08:34 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,872,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by claremarie View Post
The best federal tax firm in the country, Caplin & Drysdale, is in DC. If there is a lot of money at stake, this would be your best bet.
Caplin & Drysdale is a fantastic firm for tax litigation and white collar defense. They are not known for their transactional tax practice and their client base is mostly corporations and very wealthy individuals.

If your issue is more small business related, IRS audit related, transactional, or involves less high stakes issues, my guess is that there are probably plenty of ex-IRS, DOJ employees in smaller firms in the area that can deal with those issues. I'd probably call or email the chair of the tax committee of a local or state bar association (i.e. Fairfax County, Arlington, Bar Association of the District of Columbia, the DC bar, the VA bar) briefly describe what you need, and they should be plugged in with that community to get you a good referral.

FYI, I've found this to be a very good source of referrals for any area of law that doesn't involve big dollar law firms that mostly cater to corporations and extremely wealthy individuals.

Another great source for tax attorneys in smaller firms are local CPAs that work in smaller firms or as sole practitioners. Those guys and gals know a ton of tax attorneys.

Last edited by slim04; 04-21-2011 at 08:43 AM..

Old 02-22-2012, 05:16 PM

1 posts, read 2,150 times
how do I know if a tax attorney is going to help me before I pay out $2,600.00 to him

Old 02-23-2012, 10:59 AM

1,624 posts, read 4,872,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjhartman7 View Post
how do I know if a tax attorney is going to help me before I pay out $2,600.00 to him
Is that a retainer or a non-refundable upfront fee? Or worse, an installment contract to agree to pay that amount in the future.

If it is a retainer, your lawyer should explain what he or she will do and the expected costs. If you fire him or they don't spend that much time on your case, you will be refunded the appropriate amounts. You need to make sure it is a retainer kept in a client escrow account regulated by the bar or state supreme court. An upfront fee with a promise to refund your money if not satisfied is NOT the same and doesn't afford you the same protections.

If the fee is non-refundable or part of an installment contract, it's probably an IRS offer in compromise scam. Do a google or BBB search, type the name of the firm and the word "scam" to learn more. Anyplace that advertises in a general publication, billboard, radio, or TV is probably a scam too, or anyplace that promises reducing your tax liability pennies on the dollar are tell tale signs of scamsters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia