Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2011, 04:25 PM

4 posts, read 13,583 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I just got a job with a company located at McLean, Vienna, VA and they are paying me a salary of 80k . I don't know what would be the living expenses (housing, grocery, utility etc) ? Could anyone help me out?

I am looking for a safe/decent single apartment ( I am open to the idea of sharing but haven't found a roommate right now), below 1000$/month. I am not a great fan of partying every night, maybe once in a week would do for me.
I don't mind a commute of 20-30 mins one way to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 04:54 PM

8,982 posts, read 21,177,929 times
Generally speaking, I feel that $1200 is the baseline for an "okay" 1BR apartment in an area that's moderately convenient to DC or other job centers. Within the area between McLean and Vienna, you're probably looking at more like $1400. Without knowing your financial aspirations, I'd say you have some wiggle room on an $80K salary.

It's good to know that you don't mind a half-hour commute. With such intense traffic around, that's a dream for many people here. Depending on where in McLean (Tysons Corner?) you're headed during rush hour, it can take a half-hour just to move a few miles.

By Northeast/Mid-Atlantic standards, groceries in NOVA are probably more expensive than, say, Philly or Baltimore but less than NYC or Boston.

NOVA overall is very safe, particularly in the McLean/Vienna area. If there are particular apartment complexes you are interested in, others here may be able to give you their thoughts on the property and/or surrounding neighborhood.

Old 04-25-2011, 05:44 PM

4 posts, read 13,583 times
Thanks Tone509. I am from Atlanta (which I guess is much cheaper than Vienna )
My office is located near Tysons corner.
Regarding financial aspirations, I was planning to save some money so that I can go to a business school after working for 2-3 years. That's the main reason I was looking for cheaper housing options. I don't have any apartment complexes in mind, so to say.

Old 04-25-2011, 06:53 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,487,419 times
If you're basically planning to go the grunge route for a couple of years while you scrape up cash, you might want to consider the idea of just renting a room instead of an apartment. There is usually a steady stream of them out there, and you could have decent-for-a-young-guy quarters in the Falls Church/Vienna area from the $500-$550 range. There's spiffier too. Check out Craig's List among other sources. Overall, $80K is a respectable salary for a single. Plenty of people are getting by fine on half that.

Old 03-29-2012, 05:44 PM

12 posts, read 20,973 times
okay ...the apts in Vienna/Mclean are pretty expensive.....ex: 1400/mo for 1 room... so that is out of the question I guess. There are other "cheaper" apts in Falls church/annandale area but are kind of ghetto. I currently live in vienna. and was on the same situation as you ..looking for an apt close to where I live now...and I could not find anything affordable at all ! .. maybe basements or rooms but I did not want that .. I used to rent a BIG one bedroom apt at Seminary Towers for 1140.. it's in alexandria city the commute from alex city to vienna ( where my parents live) .. is about 15 to 20 mins in rush hour. Not bad !

Old 03-29-2012, 05:55 PM

2,772 posts, read 4,319,617 times
Get a room mate and you can live within a mile of your work.

Commons of Mclean has 2brs for 1600. (800 each) and they are very nice and spacious

1 br are a luxury of privacy. You will not find many for less than 1400.

Old 03-29-2012, 06:07 PM

9,879 posts, read 14,139,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by norseman123 View Post
Regarding financial aspirations, I was planning to save some money so that I can go to a business school after working for 2-3 years. .
Most large companies have pretty good tuition reimbursement programs. You may not have to save as much (specifically for grad school) as you thought.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia