Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2011, 07:48 AM

393 posts, read 1,203,113 times

Advertisements

Does anyone know where can I buy a stained glass panel for a transom window?
Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 09:25 AM

5,014 posts, read 6,610,335 times
Paynes Stained Glass

Give him your measurements and the sorts of colors you're looking for, and he can send you pictures of what he has in stock that will fit your space. I've known him for 10+ years and he's a great guy, very reputable dealer.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:11 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,736,049 times
There is a place that sells stained glass in the industrial park across from the COSTCO in Chantilly. You can see the storefront from the intersection at Route 50.

Old 05-10-2011, 06:51 PM

274 posts, read 709,422 times
Nice rec, but I think it's closed! I drive by there frequently and admired what was in the windows, but I think it's gone.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
There is a place that sells stained glass in the industrial park across from the COSTCO in Chantilly. You can see the storefront from the intersection at Route 50.

Old 05-10-2011, 07:43 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,489,966 times
Although it seems that he sometimes does, it doesn't look like Mr. Payne will be making any craft or antique shows in the area this year. That's too bad, as that would have been my advice -- go see and touch his glass and his work. Sugarloaf Craft Festivals are done for the summer I believe, but they'll be back in Timonium, Gaithersburg, and Chantilly (Expo Center) starting in October. Worth the (pleasant anyway) trip. Shows will typically have tons of interesting stuff, including up to half a dozen stained glass artists, some traditional, some more modern and free-form. As stained glass admirers, we have several pre-built lamps and clocks from such folks as well as four major custom works we commissioned from those whose display work impressed us. Kind of like dealing with an architect, but fortunately less expensive. The last piece was an insert for a diamond-shaped window. It was made in New Hampshire. We described to the artist what we felt we wanted and some color ideas we thought would be effective. Also provided precise measurements (by folding and taping newspaper to fit the window exactly). Then we got back several sketches and three or four samples of each color of glass along with a blank frame to test the fit. The frame fit, we described what we liked best in the sketches, and we chose some beautiful glass. And the next time they were in the area -- poof! One magnificent insert was turned over. We were so excited by it when we saw it that we bought an extra lamp to boot, and both have been delighting us ever since. At the worst, it wouldn't cost much more than gas to go check some of these people out when they are here. Might well be worth it.

Old 05-11-2011, 06:30 PM

274 posts, read 709,422 times
Love your description. I have been enchanted with stained glass for decades, have yet to commission a piece.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Although it seems that he sometimes does, it doesn't look like Mr. Payne will be making any craft or antique shows in the area this year. That's too bad, as that would have been my advice -- go see and touch his glass and his work. Sugarloaf Craft Festivals are done for the summer I believe, but they'll be back in Timonium, Gaithersburg, and Chantilly (Expo Center) starting in October. Worth the (pleasant anyway) trip. Shows will typically have tons of interesting stuff, including up to half a dozen stained glass artists, some traditional, some more modern and free-form. As stained glass admirers, we have several pre-built lamps and clocks from such folks as well as four major custom works we commissioned from those whose display work impressed us. Kind of like dealing with an architect, but fortunately less expensive. The last piece was an insert for a diamond-shaped window. It was made in New Hampshire. We described to the artist what we felt we wanted and some color ideas we thought would be effective. Also provided precise measurements (by folding and taping newspaper to fit the window exactly). Then we got back several sketches and three or four samples of each color of glass along with a blank frame to test the fit. The frame fit, we described what we liked best in the sketches, and we chose some beautiful glass. And the next time they were in the area -- poof! One magnificent insert was turned over. We were so excited by it when we saw it that we bought an extra lamp to boot, and both have been delighting us ever since. At the worst, it wouldn't cost much more than gas to go check some of these people out when they are here. Might well be worth it.

Old 05-12-2011, 01:45 PM

4,697 posts, read 6,452,003 times
My wife is a stained glass artist, and she does a bunch of different things with stained and fused glass. If anyone is interested, send me a direct message, and I'll send you the URL for her website.

Old 05-15-2011, 08:06 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,096,021 times
There is a stained glass shop in Winchester:
Home (http://oldtownstainedglass.com/default.aspx - broken link)

They have a few samples under their "classes" link.

If you want something fancier, this guy is an Architectural Stained Glass Artists. Incorporates painted stained glass and techniques of Old England. He is up in NJ but does do commissioned work. These are just the "Nature" samples (more on his Home page):

Projects: Nature Themes

Old 05-15-2011, 08:34 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,489,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlyles View Post
Love your description. I have been enchanted with stained glass for decades, have yet to commission a piece.
Something to keep in mind. My impression is that most artists produce for the "middle of the market" so as to maximize chances that what they create will actually sell, and on that account are just delighted to have someone ask them to work on something a little more interesting or eclectic. If you find an artist that you're sort of on the same wavelength with, you may find yourself tapping into all sorts of ideas they've had over the years but wouldn't risk investing in without a known buyer. There are all sorts of amazing glasses out there (and also some weird ones), but they cost more, so they don't often get used in pre-produced pieces. Speaking of cost, people hear "commissioned work" and they think of Michaelangelo being commissioned to paint the Sistine Chapel. From our experience at least, all stained glass is a little pricey, but a commissioned work isn't a lot more than what a similar off-the-shelf piece would be. It's as if the artist is taking partial payment in the chance to get the creative juices flowing and work with materials they've always wanted to work with outside of normal market-based requirements. Anyway, all of our experiences have been just as positive as the results -- and well worth the fairly small additional cost.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:10 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,096,021 times
Something to add if you're commissioning a stained glass window:
There is a difference between copper foil technique and the framing of glass using U- and H-channels. These are the metal "frames" that the pieces of stained glass are inserted in, soldered with lead at the joints.

The U- and H-channels are thicker, stronger, better quality, and will cost more than a window made with copper foil. Take a look at the Payne's web site and notice that these windows utilize U- and H-channels (no surprise since they are antique) are made this way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia