Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2011, 02:17 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,961,642 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahg2011 View Post
We never even knew there was an HOA! I'm from a small town in California, I didn't even know what one as until I moved out here...All I can say is lesson learned and NEVER AGAIN. And yes, someone will be held accountable. Oh, and to add even more horror to our story..the storage unit booked up the day I called so we have a "reserved" spot with no guarantee for an opening anytime soon.. and NO WHERE to park the truck STILL...
I am assuming, since you had a Realtor, the standard lease agreement was used. On page 3, paragraph 11, it states that the home is subject to a HOA, states the name of the HOA, and says that the HOA documents are available to the tenant.

If the name of the HOA was entered you should have asked for the HOA documents for review. If there was no name entered or you were refused acces to the documents both the owner of the home and the agent are at fault. If this is the case I advise you to call the agent's broker and ask for help resolving this problem. If you do not know the name of the agent's broker, DM me and I will get that info to you privately.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2011, 04:40 PM

87 posts, read 210,506 times
With all due respect, I do not agree with the responders who are trying to help you get out of the HOA rule. Here is why I write that, and here are some suggested regresses for you. I know that a man's home, family and job are important and people should help you out. You certainly were NOT helped, from what I read, by the HOA.

While I understand your concern and do not live in your HOA area, I think the truck has to find a new home. When trucks are allowed to park anywhere that the owners feel like putting them, they can bring down the value of the entire neighborhood. Let one park and it is like the introduction of a virus into a neighborhood. Look around Fairfax County to see examples.

Right now, when I leave my driveway and turn right, the first thing I see is this guy's TWO panel trucks and his home-made trailer. They seem to rarely move. Around the corner he parks a school bus most of the day, during the day. Next door, another group (I guess) uses the double garage for auto repairs that have been going on for five years. Next door, the jerk had a tree taken down and for the past six months the front "lawn" has been a large dirt pile where the tree is down. Obviously, he is clueless because he "parked" toy trucks on the dirt pile. He apparently thinks this is funny. Interestingly, this is the only area of our HOA where this is happening. The spreading of the virus.

When people are trying hard to keep up their homes and property, during these difficult times, nobody wants to see a neighborhood go down; and down they go wherever commercial trucks are allowed to be parked.

If I were in your HOA area, and noticed you big plumbing truck overnight parking, I would also report it to the HOA.

Now, what are you going to do. (1) wish that YOU had put in the lease that you would be allowed to park the truck on the street, garage or ? and the damages you could get if you were forced to move to move. (2) Go to the HOA and ask where other people park trucks legally. Ask the County or find out for yourself where your husband can legally and safely park the truck. Maybe he or the company will have to pay and it will involve some getting back and forth to the truck, but it beats moving. (3) Go back to the Agent that led you to this rental property and ask them to find you a new place and pay all your moving costs, since they lied to you when they signed the contract with you. This latter might be the best way and you can ask the County consumer protection agency to help you. While I am not a lawyer, I do know that real estate agents would have been required to divulge this information to you and be liable, if they did not do so, as would the homeowner. A lawyer, or even another non-involved agent probably will tell you for free.

Whatever you chose to do, find out what might happen, when, if the truck is left in the street or driveway, overnight. Then get it out before you suffer more damages.

I hope this is not too harsh, and it is only my humble opinion, not a legal opinion. Good Luck Neighbor.

Old 05-23-2011, 11:38 AM

15,427 posts, read 25,795,620 times
Do you have evidence that your property values are down because of all that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia