Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2011, 03:42 PM

384 posts, read 1,030,553 times

Advertisements

Consider getting a industrial fan to divert the smoke from your air intake.

Old 06-03-2011, 05:05 PM

4 posts, read 18,376 times
I agree with Reebo as I have neighbors further down my street who burn and it does get into my house. Usually the nicest days, too. I have to shut windows and doors and use an air purifier. We love camping but due to campfires had to quit because of health problems such as heart disease and COPD which aggravates these conditions and has sent me to emergency room. Wood smoke is pollution and can be a cancer cause and other problems such as triggering asthma attacks in children. Even indoor fireplaces have now been found to be a health problem.

When we were camping, it was really aggravating to have someone in a big motorhome go out and start a huge bonfire and then go back in the camper and watch TV. What is the point of that? I really really love smores and the smell of the campfire but not when someone goes inside and does not stay outside with it and then the only thing it is doing is polluting the air.

Good luck, Reebo and do try an air purifier or air cleaner since that may be your only choice.

Old 06-26-2011, 01:02 PM

6,470 posts, read 16,431,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I know but normally a fire doesn't produce the amounts of smoke I am imagining.... I have stayed in a lot of campgrounds where everyone has a fire going and I'm not noticing THAT much smoke. Maybe the wind is always blowing the same way and they are using wet wood???
Could be. People are dumber than you think. The neighbors could be burning improperly seasoned wood, wood with toxic materials in it or using inordinate amounts of fuels not recommended for burning such as gasoline.

Old 06-27-2011, 06:48 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,745,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I agree with you. Everyone in the suburbs has moved into these neighborhoods with not-so-big yards and want to act like they live on a ranch. I've got all kinds of weirdness in my neighborhood. For 16 years, my neighbor has been the biggest PITA for EVERY.SINGLE.HOLIDAY. Illegal fireworks, drunken parties, you name it. At the HOA he had the nerve to complain about his neighbor who puts up a light show every Christmas which attracts lots of cars. He's pissed and wants the HOA to hire a cop to direct traffic. Never once thinking about HIS irritating behavior to others.

Then my next door neighbor runs a BIG daycare. Thank God I work outside the home all day because when I stay home I feel like I'm living inside of Chuck E. Cheese. We have 1/2 ACRE lots and it's not enough of a buffer.

I would call the HOA about the "daycare". It is ILLEGAL to run most businesses like this out of your home.

Old 06-27-2011, 07:42 AM

166 posts, read 363,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinm View Post
I would call the HOA about the "daycare". It is ILLEGAL to run most businesses like this out of your home.
No it's not. It's possible that they are running an illegal daycare, but it's equally possible that it is a licensed daycare out of their home. Why would you think it's illegal?

Old 06-27-2011, 08:25 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,687,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trm5507 View Post
No it's not. It's possible that they are running an illegal daycare, but it's equally possible that it is a licensed daycare out of their home. Why would you think it's illegal?
Actually, kevinm has a point.

Our HOA covenants strictly forbid running any businesses out of the home. However, it's not enforced unless someone complains. Certainly, if you are running an on-line business that doesn't interrupt the neighbors, then they won't care or won't even know. The covenant was put into place to stop any type of business traffic that would cause disruption to the neighbors because of increased auto or foot traffic.

My neighbor's daycare is licensed and the HOA is fully aware of her operating this business. They will not prosecute it unless they get a complaint. Actually, in one meeting another resident did complain about the amount of cars going in and out but this resident did not ask to have it shut down.

Old 05-24-2021, 02:05 PM

2 posts, read 814 times
If you want, they make invisible smoke shields and they sell them at Great Falls Landscaping:

https://www.greatfallslandscapes.com

(jk)

Old 05-24-2021, 03:31 PM

7,670 posts, read 14,267,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reebo View Post
I totally love the smell of a wood fireplace, when it's vented 30 feet over my head. When the smoke is filling up my house, not so much. Neighbors five doors down have commented on the overhwhelming smell and the smoke.

I agree there's not much I can do.
You have a decent attitude about it so that's good. Not having neighbors anymore is the best thing ever but I realize not all can move out to the Shenandoah Valley. Have you ever spoken to them? (Didn't read all the responses). Maybe they can reduce the frequency if they know what it is doing. One thing I learned about being an LEO is that neighbors rarely talk to each other about their concerns. You never know unless you try it.

Old 05-24-2021, 04:41 PM

4,458 posts, read 8,152,801 times
Not sure about your hoa, but mine required me to submit an application which included my neighbors signatures before committee would approve it.

Maybe try one of those fans that at a mist of water asking with the air. The mist might absorb that smoke smell.

Oh and last Saturday I had a fire going in our fire pit. Kids enjoyed roasting marshmallows

Old 05-24-2021, 06:25 PM

22,511 posts, read 12,057,887 times
This thread is now almost 10 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia