Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 12:43 PM

4 posts, read 18,193 times

Advertisements

I'm applying for a job in Tyson's Corner and would be moving across the country if I got it. I've been looking around at information on the internet and I'm debating between Reston and Vienna. I'm married with four kids, and it looks like I could get a lot more space for my money in Reston, but I'd be driving to work on a toll road every day instead of riding my bike, so that would cost some money. With four kids, we don't have much night life and schools are very important. We'd also like to walk, bike and use public transit for as much as possible. I also think my wife would like going into DC on the metro with the younger kids while I'm at work sometimes, so Vienna might save me money in that regard. So let's say rent+Commuting cost, I could cover $3000/month. Maybe a bit more. Which of these towns would you folks recommend? Are there better options I'm neglecting?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2013, 12:51 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,624,272 times
This is a tough call. I commuted from North Reston to Tyson's Corner via Route 7 due to my inability to afford the toll road and detested it. I'm biased in favor of Vienna because you could easily bike to work, AND it has a traditional "downtown" whereas Reston's downtown is a "lifestyle center". I'd choose Vienna, personally, or maybe even the City of Falls Church. I didn't like that Reston was as large as it was (pop. 65,000ish, I think?) yet didn't feel like it had a cohesive "sense of place" in the same manner as Vienna or Falls Church.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:57 PM

162 posts, read 359,210 times
I think you can get everything you mention wanting in either location. In Reston, you will need to be a bit more selective, but it is very possible. Cost wise, $3k in Vienna will not get you nearly as much. Does each kid need their own room or can some of them share? While it sounds great to hop on the metro and head to DC, I don't think living in Vienna makes it that much easier to do. Metro will soon come to Reston so the ride will be just a little longer.

There are no bike lanes that I know of in Vienna, so you might not do as much biking (to work) as you think; I guess this depends where in Vienna you end up and where in Tyson's you work. You don't have to take the toll road from Reston to Tyson's. Your work schedule, though, will probably play a factor in this.

Old 05-23-2013, 12:57 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,317,332 times
Not that there's any truly terrible schools in Northern Virginia, but Reston's aren't looked upon that highly. Whereas Vienna's are. If schools are very important I'd look at Vienna.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:25 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,994 times
I've just checked out all the rentals in homesdatabase.com for Reston and have selected this one as your best option. Great elementary school district, near some of my favorite trails in the Glade Stream Valley, and the nearby swimming pool has a 20 foot slide.

11812 TRIPLE CROWN RD, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Reston Pools
https://www.reston.org/ParksRecreati...MHnbuuiw%3D%3D

Here are some photos I took that are all taken in the area just to the east (~1 mile) of where the above house is located.
https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...uth-lakes.html

Make sure you include the tolls in your budget - they are well worth it for not sitting in traffic.

Let me know if you have any specific questions about Reston.

Old 05-23-2013, 01:38 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,092,213 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Not that there's any truly terrible schools in Northern Virginia, but Reston's aren't looked upon that highly. Whereas Vienna's are. If schools are very important I'd look at Vienna.
You have to be careful speaking in such broad terms since Fairfax County has a county-wide system with boundaries that can be bewildering both to newcomers and current residents. Without getting into comparisons among schools, I'll simply note that, by way of example, you can live in Reston and still be assigned to a middle and high school in McLean, or you can live in Vienna (in Fairfax County, not the actual Town of Vienna) and be assigned to a middle and high school in Reston. FCPS allows you to check the school assignments for a specific address on this site:

FCPS Boundary Locator

Old 05-23-2013, 01:52 PM

Thanks everyone. The fact that the metro's about to open in Reston actually makes a big difference. I could maybe ride my bike to the Metro and take that the rest of the way. My kids already share rooms. I've got 2 boys and 2 girls, so a 3 bedroom is fine.

Old 05-23-2013, 02:43 PM

947 posts, read 1,402,419 times
If taking Metro to work in Tysons is a possibility for you (depending where in Tysons you'll be working), you actually might have a better commute from Reston than Vienna, even though Vienna is closer to Tysons. Metro's Silver Line that is scheduled to open at the end of this year has its terminus at Wiehle Avenue in Reston; the next four stops inbound are all in Tysons. If you live in Vienna, the terminus of the Orange Line, you'll have to go three stops inbound to East Falls Church and connect there with the outbound Silver Line to backtrack to Tysons. As a general rule in the Metro system, you're better off if your commute does not include switching trains.

I can't speak for bus to rail connections in Vienna, but in Reston the Fairfax Connector has an extensive network of bus routes (eight, by my count) that as of December will feed into the Wiehle Avenue terminus.

Hope this helps, and good luck with the move.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:04 PM

ICS67, Thank you very much. It does help. Reston is certainly pulling ahead based on the information here.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:30 PM

2,090 posts, read 4,247,994 times
When I searched before I wasn't thinking that a 3 bedroom would be enough bedrooms - but here are two 3 bedroom homes I would recommend you check out.

11916 MOSS POINT LN, RESTON, VA 20194 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com
10902 HOWLAND DR, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | MRIShomes.com

Also note that the Reston pools and other Reston Association (RA) amenities are included in the annual RA fee of $590 - that if you are renting will be paid by the landlord. If you choose Vienna you will need to buy into a community pool - check it out as the expense could be considerable.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia