Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-06-2011, 02:11 PM

95 posts, read 421,160 times

Advertisements

I need to install 4 ceiling fans in 4 rooms upstairs. All rooms have roof access through Attic.

None of the rooms have any existing mounts for the fans. So, Electrician need to install the mount, run the wire to an existing switch in the room.

I got couple of quotes ranging $225-$250 /fan for installation. Obviously, the rate does not include the ceiling fans itself.

Is this the going rate or is it too high ?

Thanks
Ramesh
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-06-2011, 02:19 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,777,481 times
The new switch is the tricky part. 100 each for Labor is plenty. They could do all four in one day. Electricians don't like to do drywall work.......use the mount that straddles the ceiling joist--they are much better than the expansion type. You do not need a licensed contractor for this job--but a reputable handyman.

Old 06-06-2011, 04:03 PM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
That's in the ballpark, assuming it's a non-complicated installation of the switch. My SIL just put five into the bedrooms in her new house and the installation was just under $200/ea. for new mounting, with no existing ceiling fixture/fan in the room. I believe they received a discount on labor because the contractor is performing additional electrical work for them in the basement. The installation price would have been a little less, except they were using more complicated switches that control the fan speed and light from the wall.

The switches they used were not a standard on-off with use of pull chains for the speed and light, but the speed and light are controlled by the wall switch, which is an electronic dimming switch with LED panel. I think the switches were about $70/each, though I don't remember as I literally ran out the door when I finished a conference call to buy the fans/switches and get them to the house, as the contractor was marking them up about $100 more/each for having to shop for them, not to mention charging a wait fee if I could not get there within an hour and a half.

You can get a remote installed when the fan is installed, and that is wall mountable, like a switch. The only reason they did not is children <> successful remote retention in their household. More than likely the dog and cat would find them and use them for hockey pucks, necessitating replacement. I know other people who have the remote since it does not require wiring a switch. That way, you can still have a room light controlled by the main switch, as opposed to the overhead fan light.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-06-2011, 04:47 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,777,481 times
The Home Depot Builders grade fans are quite good, and perfect for a bedroom. About 60 each. A good quality fan will work very well on slow speed, and quiet, too. You could get 10 years plus out of the builders grade, and the next one will be a snap to put in. If your ceilings are only 8 ft--beware of the light kits over the bed.

Old 06-07-2011, 07:42 AM

1,848 posts, read 3,725,256 times
Interesting that the topic of ceiling fans came up. I was talking to a neighbor who was a home expo in our featuring contractors etc, and was informed that to install/replace ceiling fans in Fairfax county you needed a permit. The other neighbors and I thought that was nuts, but he is generally well informed (on the HOA committee)

Is this true?? And if so how can they inforce it?

Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 AM

10,915 posts, read 31,388,802 times
Your neighbor is correct. In Fairfax County, for a first time installation, of a ceiling fan, you do need a permit, just as you would for a first installation of an overhead lighting fixture where one did not previously exist. I have an electrician that I use who is above-board, and will not perform work without the proper permits, and that's what he told me. I also found a list on the county's website that indicates when a permit is required. You do not need a permit to replace a fan, or to replace a lighting fixture, just as you do not for a replacement dryer, ice maker, etc., provided it uses the same connections.

When a Permit is Required*- Fairfax County, Virginia

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 06-07-2011, 09:11 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,088,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slduvall View Post
... in Fairfax county you needed a permit.
This is a good question. Requirements of an electrical permits vary by city/county. When we were buying our old/historic house in Winchester, the previous owner added central air and installed many GFI outlets and I had to check with the city regarding electrical permits and inspections.

Old 06-09-2011, 01:18 PM

61 posts, read 112,548 times
Any good recommendations for companies that do this kind of work?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:15 AM

95 posts, read 421,160 times
Thanks all for your inputs

Planning to go with pedestal fans. Cannot spend $1000 to install 4 fans.

Old 06-14-2011, 08:32 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,885,186 times
^ ask around.
I wish I still had my electricians name. He work for a company but did work on the side... He installed mine for $75/each. ceiling mount box in attic and dual light swiches included!

Don't give up...I am sure someone out there knows someone who wants work on the side. If I find the guys card...I will PM you the info. We lived in Leesburg and did ALOT of work for us.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia