Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-25-2011, 06:32 PM

27 posts, read 36,769 times

Advertisements

My husband, baby, and I are moving to NoVA in 2 months. My husband works for Prince William County and is currently stationed in Woodbridge so we have many areas to choose from (Kind of narrowing between Centreville to Woodbridge, don't want to go any more west of Manassas or South of Dumfries or north of Reston or East of Arlington). Unfortunately, we can't decide where would be the best for us to live. We are currently working with a realtor but still have a lot of time so haven't met him and are just being sent random listings. Unfortunately, just pictures of the fronts of houses can be misleading.

Criteria:

Really can't afford more than $1,300 plus utilities ($1,400 if we push it)
Need at least 2 bed
Have a small trained 8 yr old dog so would like "yard"
We are young(ish), yupster types (that's a yuppy hipster ) with child that enjoy:
Live music, Cool bars (love wine and good beers), Vintage stores, Bistros, Trendy areas good for shopping, parks, and we are both Vegan

With that said, is there any safe, neighborhood that is in a decent proximity to these types of extracurricular activites that doesn't cost and arm and a leg? I am a stay at home mom, too.

Thanks! Any advice is HUGELY appreciated.

FYI: Again, just want advice on wholesome, reasonably priced areas. Don't need listings. We can search that on own..THanKs!

PS I love Wegman's and Organic Food Markets (unsure what's in VA)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-25-2011, 07:19 PM

9,779 posts, read 15,797,090 times
$1300 for a 2-bedroom is going to push you pretty far out there. You can forget Arlington and Reston or pretty much anything in Fairfax County. Personally, I'd go to downtown Fredericksburg if I were you.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:58 PM

722 posts, read 1,924,040 times
I agree with Michgc that you won't be able to find 2bd + yard on that budget in Arlington, etc.
Woodbridge/Dumfries you should be able to find a selection of 2 bedroom townhomes under $1400/month....and there is a Wegmans in Woodbridge! However, I wouldn't call the Woodbridge area "Yupster", at all.

Old 05-25-2011, 07:59 PM

4,437 posts, read 8,134,874 times
Your child enjoys Bars and Wine? kewl...

You can probably find something in Lake Ridge (22192) for that much. The schools in 22192 seem well rated according to other posters. There's a Wegman's near the NVCC Woodbridge Campus. There are Farmer's Markets near Dale Blvd and Minnieville, also another one at Occoquan. I don't think any part of Woodbridge is really "trendy", but it's close to Potomac Mills Mall. It's a huge outlet mall that you can find pretty much anything. Occoquan has some local shops, also Old Time Manassas has some trendy shops.

Old 05-26-2011, 04:18 PM

Thanks, everyone!

Yeah, we considered Fredericksburg but I forsee wanting to partake in more activities closer to DC so that's where my hesitation lies. Also, we are concerned there wouldn't be enough restaurants that would cater to our eating habits being that far south. Another reason being slightly closer to DC piqued our interest more. BUT, we still need to check it out!

Lake Ridge is a definitely a consideration. Thanks for the zip code!

Gonna go check some places out.....

Old 05-26-2011, 05:30 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,620,226 times
You can find a 2 bedroom townhouse with yard in the Newgate neighborhood here in Centreville. It will have a SMALL yard but is nothing fancy. The only problem is you have to find one listed. When I was looking for places in Centreville I went and looked at one for $1300 but I have since seen them listed for less. A wegmans is close enough as well as I-66 for access to metro station or D.C. It is not a trendy/hip neighborhood but has a neighborhood pool and seems to be family oriented. I passed on it because I am single and find that the condo I found suits my needs better. Other than that you MIGHT be able to find a 2 bedroom condo for that price in other areas of centreville but no yard. I will tell you though I have been in my condo for 9 months now and love living in Centreville much more than I did my year in Herndon. Good Luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by VAVeg View Post
Thanks, everyone!

Yeah, we considered Fredericksburg but I forsee wanting to partake in more activities closer to DC so that's where my hesitation lies. Also, we are concerned there wouldn't be enough restaurants that would cater to our eating habits being that far south. Another reason being slightly closer to DC piqued our interest more. BUT, we still need to check it out!

Lake Ridge is a definitely a consideration. Thanks for the zip code!

Gonna go check some places out.....

Old 05-26-2011, 06:40 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,506,760 times
Boy are you going to be out of place here - nothing is trendy or hip in any of the areas you can afford - everything is suburban and conservative dullsville unless you can afford Arlington or so where the young singles hang out.

Old 05-26-2011, 07:41 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,620,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Boy are you going to be out of place here - nothing is trendy or hip in any of the areas you can afford - everything is suburban and conservative dullsville unless you can afford Arlington or so where the young singles hang out.
lol

Old 05-27-2011, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fairfax Mom View Post
Haha! We were worried about that! We are originally from SoFL and lived in Center City Philadelphia last year before my husband landed this job in PWC. We were excited to be near another metropolitan city, DC....until we learned we can't really afford it right now, lol.

@Teebyrd86 Thanks! The funniest thing is that a property in Newgate LITERALLY came up on the new listings our realtor sent us last night! Unfortunately, it says no dogs allowed but we will go look at it anyway! Thanks, again!!

Old 05-27-2011, 05:35 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,858,780 times
There is an end unit townhome for rent on Rainwater Circle in Blooms Mill in Manassas. It is not far from the PWC Parkway.....about 20 minutes to get to Wegmans and Whole Foods...and there is a 24 hour Harris Teeter within about 6-7 minutes. It's got a landscaped nice yard in the back with a deck. I believe it is listed by Prudential... There is a small neighborhood pool. I live on this street so that's why I know You wouldn't be too far from Gainesville (20 minute drive) that has a lot of trendy places including The Cork and Fork. We like dogs here (not sure if they are allowing it in their place) and cats and birds and all animals It is a very dog friendly area!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia