Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 09:39 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,280,934 times

Advertisements

I have two friends that have lived in Fairchester over 10 yrs. There are a number of houses that have had additions put on and some really nice updates. A number of homes are on fairly large lots in comparison to other areas. The downside is the ES is not that well regarded and the lack of sidewalks curtails a certain amount of kid activity. This time of year the neighborhood does look beautiful.

I second the advice to look in the 22031 zip
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 01:23 PM

837 posts, read 1,802,779 times
So I know this is the VA forum and all, but you should consider Tenleytown/AUpark in DC too. The commute from there to Tysons is really not bad since its a counter commute - it takes me about 25 minutes - and is of course a lot better for getting to downtown DC than fairfax or somewhere out in VA would be. A lot better.

You may be surprised to find that you can get a pretty decent place for similar money. (I know I was). $700K will buy you a small single family with a yard even. For instance: 4305 38TH St NORTHWEST, WASHINGTON, DC 20016 | MLS# DC7606834

The finishes wont be the same, but thats stuff you can do over time.

Some people have noted the lack of a yard already and as someone with a 2 yer old I have to jump on that too - you are going to want a yard once you have kids. I'd also suggest you consider whether you really need 2800 sq ft. Thats a LOT of space and the expenses are going to pile up: heating, AC, elec, etc... Go big enough but dont fall into the trap of getting the biggest house you can just because its big. We bought something that was probably bigger than we needed and although I love it, I recognize that it was perhaps a bit foolish - and we aren't even close to 2800... and we have a kid and plans for one more and we'll still have plenty of space.

A few other (sold) examples:

http://www.redfin.com/DC/Washington/...6/home/9968645
http://www.redfin.com/DC/Washington/...6/home/9948354
http://www.redfin.com/DC/Washington/...6/home/9949238

Last edited by chicagotodc; 06-03-2011 at 01:40 PM..

Old 06-05-2011, 08:03 PM

200 posts, read 562,004 times
Once again, thank you for wonderful information you guys provided!

@chicagotodc: thanks for the recommendations, I will check those out.

Btw, I 've just been informed by the builder (of the $670K townhouse) that they are offering some incentives by lowering the price around 6-7%!

Last edited by Natthapol; 06-05-2011 at 08:27 PM..

Old 06-06-2011, 12:11 AM

2,879 posts, read 7,806,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chicagotodc View Post
So I know this is the VA forum and all, but you should consider Tenleytown/AUpark in DC too. The commute from there to Tysons is really not bad since its a counter commute - it takes me about 25 minutes - and is of course a lot better for getting to downtown DC than fairfax or somewhere out in VA would be. A lot better.

You may be surprised to find that you can get a pretty decent place for similar money. (I know I was). $700K will buy you a small single family with a yard even. For instance: 4305 38TH St NORTHWEST, WASHINGTON, DC 20016 | MLS# DC7606834

The finishes wont be the same, but thats stuff you can do over time.

Some people have noted the lack of a yard already and as someone with a 2 yer old I have to jump on that too - you are going to want a yard once you have kids. I'd also suggest you consider whether you really need 2800 sq ft. Thats a LOT of space and the expenses are going to pile up: heating, AC, elec, etc... Go big enough but dont fall into the trap of getting the biggest house you can just because its big. We bought something that was probably bigger than we needed and although I love it, I recognize that it was perhaps a bit foolish - and we aren't even close to 2800... and we have a kid and plans for one more and we'll still have plenty of space.

A few other (sold) examples:

3819 VEAZEY St NORTHWEST, WASHINGTON, DC 20016 | MLS# DC7449407
4516 WINDOM Pl NORTHWEST, WASHINGTON, DC 20016 | MLS# DC7479672
4409 FARADAY Pl NORTHWEST, WASHINGTON, DC 20016 | MLS# DC7466921
I lived in FFX County for 25 years, and I couldn't agree with you more. That is a great area--especially for those, who work in DC. I would take it over Arlington, any day of the week. DC Cops are cool, west side of Rock Creek is possibly safer than the City of FFX. For Style Tenleytown gets an 8 on a 1-10; FFX City gets a 2, and you better hope the smart kids are working at Applebees. Great beer stores in upper NW. People walking are not suspects like they are in NoVa.
http://www.walkscore.com/score/4305-38th-st.-nw-dc Gets an 83--the first one you listed. VERY WALKABLE.

Old 06-06-2011, 02:41 PM

I got a price quote from the project metro west at Vienna Metro station today!

Not surprisingly, the prices are on the high side... I was hoping that it would be a bit more affordable..

Townhome:
1,400 sf 3BR 3.5BH : $500K - $530K
1,942 sf 3BR 3BH : $625K - $655K
2,470 sf 3BR 3BH : $730K - $766K

Here is the floor plan of the 1,942 sf one.
http://www.liveatmetrowest.com/eblas...lan_Stuart.pdf

Old 06-06-2011, 02:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by khuntrevor View Post
I lived in FFX County for 25 years, and I couldn't agree with you more. That is a great area--especially for those, who work in DC. I would take it over Arlington, any day of the week. DC Cops are cool, west side of Rock Creek is possibly safer than the City of FFX. For Style Tenleytown gets an 8 on a 1-10; FFX City gets a 2, and you better hope the smart kids are working at Applebees. Great beer stores in upper NW. People walking are not suspects like they are in NoVa.
Walk Score of 4305 38th st. nw dc Gets an 83--the first one you listed. VERY WALKABLE.
Those houses look really nice actually! I still have to wrap my head around the thinking of raising kids in DC.. Maybe, I have bee misinformed?
FFX city address (whitehead st) does get a really good walk score though -- 89!

Old 06-06-2011, 04:29 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,806,332 times
That's good Nat, I see you are doing your research. I don't think you would be competing with a new Toll Brothers neighborhood in DC, like you could be in Fairfax and Vienna. Vienna is high value because of it's proximity to both DC and high paying tech jobs at Tyson's. They have managed to zone out a lot of riff-raff. Otherwise, it is a very boring place, with few really good restaurants. Expensive, bland Greek.

Let me show you what you can get in Montgomery County for 429K.
1607 Ballard St Silver Spring MD - Home For Sale and Real Estate Listing - MLS #MC7600444 - Realtor.com®

5 minute walk to Metro. I know the owner, and will give you his mobile number if you are interested. He speaks Thai pretty well, too. He sold a house in the Alexandria part of FFX County a few months ago, for a similar price, and we both agree that this one in MD is way, way better for many reasons--and we are both Virginians.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia