Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 02:15 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,137 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Your neighbor is correct. In Fairfax County, for a first time installation, of a ceiling fan, you do need a permit, just as you would for a first installation of an overhead lighting fixture where one did not previously exist. I have an electrician that I use who is above-board, and will not perform work without the proper permits, and that's what he told me. I also found a list on the county's website that indicates when a permit is required. You do not need a permit to replace a fan, or to replace a lighting fixture, just as you do not for a replacement dryer, ice maker, etc., provided it uses the same connections.

When a Permit is Required*- Fairfax County, Virginia
But if there is a light fixture already and it is replaced by a ceiling fan, there is not need for a permit, right?

What about adding more recessed cans? Say there are 3-4 recessed cans and adding 6 more?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 02:24 PM

3,852 posts, read 4,151,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrame View Post
Thanks all for your inputs

Planning to go with pedestal fans. Cannot spend $1000 to install 4 fans.
That's a shame -- allegedly ceiling fans improve efficiency (and bills) year-round, you just switch the direction for the summer vs winter months.

I have a weird situation with one of the ceiling fans in the house I'm renting -- it runs clockwise (winter setting) and I cannot for the life of me find any switch to change the direction. At least it's in the little-used guest bedroom, but it still drives me crazy. I've never seen a ceiling fan without a directional switch, at least, not one that defaults to clockwise.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:31 PM

251 posts, read 933,641 times
Why can't you install a mount yourself? Get a how-to manual or ask at Home Depot. My husband did it himself when we installed ceiling fans in our home.
Or am I misunderstanding the question? Are there no overhead lights there already? You said they had attic access...

Old 07-17-2012, 03:39 PM

12,905 posts, read 15,653,338 times
My husband is an electrician (commercial) and he hasn't done an fans in awhile. Most electricians have to spend a LOT of time in the attic to do these fans and, on a hot day, not fun. If there are no overhead light fixtures (as most new homes don't have) it's even more labor intensive.

You may bet a better rate if you look for someone to do it in the winter.

Old 07-17-2012, 06:48 PM

231 posts, read 455,562 times
I had ceiling lights placed in three rooms, and a chandelier replaced in the dining room with a modern light. In the three rooms, a hole had to be drilled in the ceiling and a light switch had to be placed on the wall. This indeed required a permit. The work was done by a licensed electrician for $500. He also did a cable drop into our living room for free.

Old 07-17-2012, 07:37 PM

314 posts, read 400,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndiaLimaDelta View Post
But if there is a light fixture already and it is replaced by a ceiling fan, there is not need for a permit, right?

What about adding more recessed cans? Say there are 3-4 recessed cans and adding 6 more?
No need for permit if you change the fixture.

You need to get permit for adding new fixtures. That's for the inspection to make sure electrical work meet the codes. If not, your house may burn down.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:05 PM

17 posts, read 43,536 times
When you install a ceiling fan it needs to be installed to a ceiling fan rated box, if there is an existing light fixture, you can't just take it down and install a fan unless the box is rated for a ceiling fan.

Old 07-17-2012, 08:07 PM

17 posts, read 43,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CapsChick View Post
That's a shame -- allegedly ceiling fans improve efficiency (and bills) year-round, you just switch the direction for the summer vs winter months.

I have a weird situation with one of the ceiling fans in the house I'm renting -- it runs clockwise (winter setting) and I cannot for the life of me find any switch to change the direction. At least it's in the little-used guest bedroom, but it still drives me crazy. I've never seen a ceiling fan without a directional switch, at least, not one that defaults to clockwise.

If you come over to the darkside and become a Bruins fan I can help you find that switch.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:22 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,150,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by finecognac View Post
No need for permit if you change the fixture.

You need to get permit for adding new fixtures. That's for the inspection to make sure electrical work meet the codes. If not, your house may burn down.
So, even if the new recessed cans are drawing power from the same source as the existing cans and located nearby, I have to have a permit?

Is it possible to get permits retroactively?
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrose View Post
When you install a ceiling fan it needs to be installed to a ceiling fan rated box, if there is an existing light fixture, you can't just take it down and install a fan unless the box is rated for a ceiling fan.
Yup. That's the first thing my electrician told me. That all my fixtures had plastic boxes incapable of supporting ceiling fans.

Old 07-17-2012, 11:38 PM

20,126 posts, read 16,147,530 times
If you do your own work can you still get a permit? I mean, do you have to hire a "professional" if you know what you are doing? My husband has installed ceiling fans, along with other things on that permit list, at every place we've lived. He does a better job than some of the same jobs we've seen at other people's home who have hired a professional - not to mention that he is significantly cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia