Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2011, 07:47 AM

32 posts, read 122,358 times

Advertisements

After my husbands recent trip to NoVA for his interviews and our research we think we want to live in Ashburn Vs. Leesburg. Now it's a matter of what neighborhood. Our price range is up to $2800 so we could rent a townhome or a single family home. We are in our mid-30's, have two young children that will be in daycare(also need a good daycare) and I work from home full time. We want a social nieghbordhood since most of how we will make friends will be through the neighborhood. Is the area friendly and any opinions on the best, family & friendly neighborhoods in Ashburn (including Broadlands & Brambleton)? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 11:08 AM

I just got some local feedback from my cousin, she has co-workers that suggest South Riding... I wonder how bad that would be driving to Leesburg each day....

Old 06-09-2011, 11:38 AM

738 posts, read 2,956,800 times
Not much personal feedback on the other neighborhoods in the area, but Ashburn Village has the nice Sports Pavillion complex as a part of the community. Typically that can be passed down to you from the homeowner if you rent there (we are including it with our townhouse we're renting out to our tenants there). I've lived in Ashburn Village for about 3 years and liked the community, but Broadlands and Brambleton seem very nice as well.

In Ashburn - I think townhomes are generally renting in the $2000-2400/mo range, so you could probably sneak into a smaller single family if your budget is $2800/month. I don't think you'd need to go out to South Riding to find something that meets your needs; Ashburn is probably 15-20 minutes closer depending on what parts of Ashburn or South Riding you're coming from. Getting to Leesburg from South Riding, you would probably Take Gum Springs/Belmont Ridge Road or maybe Evergreen Mills Road.

Old 06-10-2011, 09:29 AM

Thanks GoHokiesGo- As soon as we get the offer and we except I will be flying up to the area to find the right area... I think Ashburn will be my first stop and maybe into parts of Leesburg. Thanks so much for your post

Old 06-10-2011, 10:10 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times
These townhouses are brand spanking new. You could walk to shopping and the movies from here.
http://www.homes.com/listing/1401741...HBURN_VA_20148

Nice area in Ashburn Village in a great school district.
43844 DELIGHTFUL PL, ASHBURN, VA 20147 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-ASHBURN+VILLAGE-ASHBURN-VA-MRIS-LO7606140 - broken link)

Also in a very new section of Brambleton.
23450 SPICE BUSH TER, ASHBURN, VA 20148 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-BRAMBLETON+LAND+BAY-ASHBURN-VA-MRIS-LO7611208 - broken link)

Good Luck

Old 06-10-2011, 10:13 AM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,250 times
South Riding is not that far from Leesburg. Commuting from South Riding can be hellacious if you are going towards the city(east in morning, west in evening) but going to Leesburg you should miss much of the traffic problems.

Old 06-10-2011, 10:25 AM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,340 times
I would try and find a place in one of the larger communities. Like: Broadlands, Brambleton, Ashburn Farm, Ashburn Village or Lansdowne. These large communities offer things the smaller ones don't.

Like:

Swim teams for the kids
Parties for kids and adults both
Concerts in the summer
Free Buses to the brewfest every year (my favorite)
etc......

Old 06-10-2011, 10:51 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,311,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
These townhouses are brand spanking new. You could walk to shopping and the movies from here.
42537 Highgate Terrace, Ashburn VA 20148 | Homes.com

Nice area in Ashburn Village in a great school district.
43844 DELIGHTFUL PL, ASHBURN, VA 20147 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-ASHBURN+VILLAGE-ASHBURN-VA-MRIS-LO7606140 - broken link)

Also in a very new section of Brambleton.
23450 SPICE BUSH TER, ASHBURN, VA 20148 - HomesDatabase (http://www.homesdatabase.com/home-listings-BRAMBLETON+LAND+BAY-ASHBURN-VA-MRIS-LO7611208 - broken link)

Good Luck
That first one is also right by the Beacon Crest pool in Brambleton, which is the smaller, heated, less crowded pool in the neighborhood.

Old 06-10-2011, 03:52 PM

2,309 posts, read 2,314,460 times
Ashburn Farm: mature trees, 3 swimming pools (included in the HOA), parks (trailside and dinosaur park), lots of tot lots, tennis courts, walking trails, etc. I lived here and we LOVED it. Great start of summer carnival!

Ashburn Village - again, mature trees, great sports complex that is also included in the HOA.

Broadlands - one of my favorite parts as it is "newer" than the other two mentioned. Has a great hoa which has a nature center in it where kids can visit bunnies, turtles, etc. Walking paths, tot lots, etc.

Brambleton - this is town center living where you can walk to the movies, restaurants, etc. They hold a lot of community events that are always a good time.

If you are looking to socialize, there is a Mom's club of Ashburn Farm. But, that is more for stay-at-home moms. If you go to meetup.com there is a working moms club that is fairly active...Loco Working moms or something like that. (I was part of it but can't get the name right, lol! Just look for working mom groups in Loudoun and you will recognize it)

As for daycare...we took ours to Kindercare in the Broadlands off of waxpool. Carrie Ann is the director and she runs a tight ship. We LOVED it there. Before that we were at Kiddie Academy in Lansdowne and some things happened there that I didn't like. (like leaving back doors open and stuff. one time I walked in that open back door and no one stopped me. scary) We also looked into Minnieland and some others (including other Kindercare's in Ashburn) but we loved Carrie Ann and her staff.

Anyway, hope this helps!

Old 06-13-2011, 06:25 PM

Thanks everyone!! This helps a ton!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia