Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2011, 09:56 AM

2,904 posts, read 6,918,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
I think you should look into moving back in with your parents. It is very common these days.

Health insurance will easily be $300 / month - you can't afford it.

Three months to find a part time job? You can probably get hired somewhere in Tyson's mall tomorrow if you REALLY need a job.

What is your college degree in?
I worked for a year to get savings so I won't have to move in with my parents. I know it's very common but it's not for me.

My degree is in finance and I have internship experience with a major bank and an international consulting firm so hopefully I'll get some interviews. And yes, I was trying to be very conservative with my part time job figures so as not to give myself unrealistic expectations.

Well, if I can defer my student debt paying health insurance becomes much more reasonable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2011, 09:58 AM

248 posts, read 700,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boyd888 View Post
I think you should look into moving back in with your parents. It is very common these days.
Agreed. I did this with my first full time job since it was so close to my hometown and since the relationship I have with my parents was very close. It was really a layoff, a lack of local job opportunities afterwards, stubborn refusal to pursue a master's degree, and boredom with my hometown that brought me here. Removing or greatly reducing housing costs helps a LOT. But if they were to move here I would gladly move in with them. Beats having strangers as roommates anyday. They actually want me around.

Especially when expenses of everything have to &*****ing increase at such a fast rate (not just rent, but healthcare, food, gas, metro, etc...). Makes me want to throw a table out of anger but that would be unproductive.

Besides, moving in with parents is far more common in other countries.

Old 06-12-2011, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tsuric View Post
Agreed. I did this with my first full time job since it was so close to my hometown and since the relationship I have with my parents was very close. It was really a layoff, a lack of local job opportunities afterwards, stubborn refusal to pursue a master's degree, and boredom with my hometown that brought me here. Removing or greatly reducing housing costs helps a LOT. But if they were to move here I would gladly move in with them. Beats having strangers as roommates anyday. They actually want me around.

Especially when expenses of everything have to &*****ing increase at such a fast rate (not just rent, but healthcare, food, gas, metro, etc...). Makes me want to throw a table out of anger but that would be unproductive.

Besides, moving in with parents is far more common in other countries.
There is a lack of job opportunities in SC where my parents live as well. I might be able to find something eventually there but I don't want to. If my parents lived in a major city then yes, I'd probably live with them for a while

Old 06-12-2011, 10:58 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
You might have a very rough year, but if you're willing to live simply I think it's doable. One good thing about the DC metro area is there are a lot of free activities, especially if you like museums. Of course, you have to be able to get to them which can eat up a little bit of money as far as parking or bus fare unless you live close enough to walk to lots of things.

Here are some threads you might find useful:

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...s-do-nova.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ery-store.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...y-looking.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...ir-salons.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...-get-free.html

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...-have-you.html

Old 06-12-2011, 11:58 AM

Are there a lot of good public libraries? Their website doesn't seem to be working for me...do you have to have your name on a lease to get a card?

Old 06-12-2011, 12:05 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,092,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
Are there a lot of good public libraries? Their website doesn't seem to be working for me...do you have to have your name on a lease to get a card?
Yes, the libraries are, for the most part, unusually good here. They ahve all sorts of material, and are especially handy for people on a budget. For example, the music sections in some of the libraries are excellent, so you can check out a lot of current music instead of buying. Of course, some are better than others. This thread has a lot of the outstanding ones.

https://www.city-data.com/forum/north...rary-like.html

Old 06-12-2011, 12:50 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,685,240 times
The Fairfax County libraries are great: Library - Public Library - Fairfax County Public Library - FCPL. There are multiple branches and you can request a book online and then pick it up in a day or two at your local branch.

Old 06-13-2011, 06:39 AM

Good info, and it seems they are quite liberal in their membership policy.

Well, I welcome any more input into my budget/plans. So far I've updated it a little and the results still seem pretty encouraging.

Old 06-13-2011, 07:30 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,858,331 times
I think it's great that you are really trying to do this and figure it all out. I think it will pay off in the long run. I think it will also give you a lot of life experience right out of the gate and will increase your determination to do well. It's nice to see a young person plan and prepare for the future and the unknown and to know that it is a difficult road. Just the fact that you've been saving shows a lot. Most young folks wouldn't do that. They'd get through school and then run back home to mom and dad because - #1, they didn't save or plan ahead and they don't want the unnecessary hardship. Who wouldn't want to live with mom and dad and not have to worry while they find a job. I'm not saying running back home to mom and dad is bad - but it says a lot about someone who doesn't and wants to really make their own journey and succeed doing it the old fashioned way.

Good for you!

Old 06-13-2011, 09:40 AM

2,825 posts, read 6,894,788 times
I'm assuming you are fluent in Korean. Google Annandale+Housing also, HMart. Also google for Korean newspapers in NoVa. They'll be tons of local Korean ads (Annandale is around Springfield/Falls Church/Fairfax/the 495 beltway). And you'll read deals I cannot understand. Then come back here or DC Forum for info on the areas.
The only place I've seen more new immigrant/1st generation Koreans in the USA was in LA. You should get lots of inside info.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia