Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2011, 06:08 PM

139 posts, read 315,711 times

Advertisements

After months of probing, visiting, looking at townhouses and neighbors, etc. all over NOVA, my has family finally decided to settle in Herndon. Our son will be a Sophomore at Herndon High School. We really like the small town feel there and would love to know more about some of the best kept secrets. I am still out of state until the end of the month, but we will be moving in the first part of July. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2011, 06:28 PM

670 posts, read 1,283,183 times
The Herndon Festival which just passed is an annual big deal every year around the first weekend of June
The Deli is one of the best sub shops I have ever eaten at!
Herndon has an outdoor summer concert series
Lots of big companies close by
Some good dining spots like "The Tortilla Factory" and "Pollo Inka" (God, I miss these places! I live in FL now.

Old 06-14-2011, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NALEXAND View Post
The Herndon Festival which just passed is an annual big deal every year around the first weekend of June
The Deli is one of the best sub shops I have ever eaten at!
Herndon has an outdoor summer concert series
Lots of big companies close by
Some good dining spots like "The Tortilla Factory" and "Pollo Inka" (God, I miss these places! I live in FL now.

These things are the reasons we chose Herndon. It sounds wonderful. I think we will be very happy there especially so far from the city! Yet, the city's nightlife is just a short drive away! We feel our son will like it too. At first we were very set on Centreville but, after comparing the two, we felt that Herndon had more of a small town feel to it!

Thanks for the info! I bet you do miss it! Florida is nice tho...we used to live on the panhandle and ooooh how I miss it! I was in mourning the first year after we left!

Old 06-14-2011, 07:04 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,632,743 times
I too chose Herndon for those reasons. Unfortunatly after one year I was miserable with my surroundings and moved to Centreville (which I love). Everyone has different tastes, I am not knocking on Herndon (I had a co-worker once that absolutly loved Herndon) it just wasnt for me and not what I had expected. I think alot of it had to do with the particular complex I lived in. I hope living in Herndon is all that you want it to be, you may find it to be exactly what you were hoping for. I volunteered at the Friday Night Live event last summer and met lots of nice people, maybe that could be something you or your wife would be intrested in.. to meet people around the neighborhood?

Old 06-14-2011, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teebyrd86 View Post
I too chose Herndon for those reasons. Unfortunatly after one year I was miserable with my surroundings and moved to Centreville (which I love). Everyone has different tastes, I am not knocking on Herndon (I had a co-worker once that absolutly loved Herndon) it just wasnt for me and not what I had expected. I think alot of it had to do with the particular complex I lived in. I hope living in Herndon is all that you want it to be, you may find it to be exactly what you were hoping for. I volunteered at the Friday Night Live event last summer and met lots of nice people, maybe that could be something you or your wife would be intrested in.. to meet people around the neighborhood?
Thanks for the suggestion! Can I ask where you lived (the complex) and why that made you dislike the area? (Don't want to make the same mistake :-)) Thanks!

Old 06-15-2011, 04:42 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,178,753 times
Welcome to northern VA! I can't think of any tips off the top of my head but if you ask questions I'm sure I have some. Anything in particular you want to know?

Teebyrd's a young, single guy. Right now a lot of 20-somethings are moving to Reston/Herndon for jobs in the Dulles Tech Corridor. It's kind of boring for that age group (we usually recommend they try an area closer to DC such as Ballston). Since more of them are moving here right now and living in Herndon for the short commute, Reston/Herndon is slowly becoming younger and there are a few more clubs and restaurants that might appeal to that age group... but it's still too suburban for most young singles, IMO.

Old 06-15-2011, 07:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Welcome to northern VA! I can't think of any tips off the top of my head but if you ask questions I'm sure I have some. Anything in particular you want to know?

Teebyrd's a young, single guy. Right now a lot of 20-somethings are moving to Reston/Herndon for jobs in the Dulles Tech Corridor. It's kind of boring for that age group (we usually recommend they try an area closer to DC such as Ballston). Since more of them are moving here right now and living in Herndon for the short commute, Reston/Herndon is slowly becoming younger and there are a few more clubs and restaurants that might appeal to that age group... but it's still too suburban for most young singles, IMO.
I'd say you are probably right about all of the above. That is one of the reasons we chose Herndon. We wanted to get as suburban as possible and still live in NOVA and benefit from their great high schools. Plus, I will be teaching in FCPS. My husband's commute to DC is no different than it is now (he temporarily rooms with someone in McLean and it will be the same)...so...we think we will be quite happy in that area. If we want more once our son graduates, then we always have the option to move closer to DC. That's why we are renting for the first few years. Thanks to all.

SPECIFICS/IDEAS:
I am looking for:
--an orthodontist
--a female family practice doctor
--a shag group
--a GOOD hairdresser
--dentist
--church with very active youth group (can be baptist, methodist, non-denominational)
--ways to meet other young professional couples (by young I mean in 40's lol...not necessarily young, guess I keep forgetting I am not that young any more) with high school age kids
--running club
**Just general stuff as well as fun things to do as a couple and as a family. I noticed that a branch of NVCC is in Sterling and I assume they offer some good continuing ed/adult ed courses.

Thanks!

Old 06-15-2011, 08:08 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,123,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Yeah, but he moved to Centreville, not Arlington or DC, and is now apparently happier. Centreville's every bit as suburban as Herndon, albeit with a different ethnic mix, so I suspect it was largely a function of the particular apartment or TH complex in Herndon.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
Yeah, but he moved to Centreville, not Arlington or DC, and is now apparently happier. Centreville's every bit as suburban as Herndon, albeit with a different ethnic mix, so I suspect it was largely a function of the particular apartment or TH complex in Herndon.
I think you are probably right. Both places are great and I don't think you could go wrong in either place.

Old 06-15-2011, 10:13 AM

303 posts, read 921,438 times
For a hairdresser, you have Maude's right in downtown Herndon. It's consistently rated very highly by Northern Virginia Magazine. I found it by asking a woman with fabulous hair where she got hers done, and I've been very happy. Maude Hair.

I don't shag in groups so can't help you with that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia