Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2011, 04:49 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,097,760 times

Advertisements

We were out on the Potomac today and I was amazed that nobody else was out there. Not that I'm complaining but it surprises me to live in a metro area with a half million people and the only other people out on the river were a family fishing from a rowboat.

If you've ever wanted to try kayaking, this is the perfect weather for it because it isn't too hot yet and the passing clouds offer a little relief from the sun reflecting off the water. Also, you tend to see more birds when the forecast says 30-40 percent rain (but that rain never seems to appear). Just thought I'd pass the word.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2011, 03:28 AM

429 posts, read 1,162,922 times
I think the Potomac is the area's best kept secret. Part of the problem may be that many people still think of the Potomac as the open sewer it was in the 1960s before tighter environmental legislation started improving things. Of course, there's still a lot of progress to be made.

Old 06-19-2011, 05:26 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
My husband just bought himself a kayak yesterday and went, in the evening, on the Occoquan Reservoir. I'm sure he'll be out today--if he can fit it in between his biking and golfing.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:15 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,958,947 times
The 60s were a half century ago. Most of the posters on this forum weren't even born back then. These days the Potomac is known for many things, but sewage isn't one of them. If this is a worry, you can always try taking your canoe or kayak out on the western stretches of the river. There are lots of places to kayak besides right in from of the monuments. Once you are upriver of Great Falls it's verdant and green, and there are almost no buildings to be seen (with the exception of the towers of LeisureWorld, and they actually look quite pretty out there in the woods).

Old 06-19-2011, 09:31 AM

429 posts, read 1,162,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
The 60s were a half century ago. Most of the posters on this forum weren't even born back then. These days the Potomac is known for many things, but sewage isn't one of them. If this is a worry, you can always try taking your canoe or kayak out on the western stretches of the river. There are lots of places to kayak besides right in from of the monuments. Once you are upriver of Great Falls it's verdant and green, and there are almost no buildings to be seen (with the exception of the towers of LeisureWorld, and they actually look quite pretty out there in the woods).
If not misinformation about cleanliness, what do you think is the reason the Potomac is so underutilized?

Old 06-19-2011, 10:36 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,097,760 times
One reason they may be under utilized is that going kayaking isn't quite as easy as going to the beach (unless you go to that rental place in Georgetown). At Riverbend you have to take a class first before they allow you to rent. Or, you can bring your own kayak but that involve effort, too.

Also, I think a lot of people tend to forget that we have the rivers here. They aren't really part of our local culture. We don't have river festivals (or maybe I should say the ones we have aren't big deals). When you drive over the Potomac you're busy thinking about traffic and barely realize there's a river beneath.

Old 06-19-2011, 10:42 AM

4,697 posts, read 6,451,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
My husband just bought himself a kayak yesterday and went, in the evening, on the Occoquan Reservoir. I'm sure he'll be out today--if he can fit it in between his biking and golfing.
That's our favorite spot for kayaking - convenient, pretty, not crowded (during the week, anyway, and we don't go on weekends), and generally calm water.

Old 06-19-2011, 08:15 PM

24 posts, read 38,299 times
Christine-
where does your husband put it? We love kayaking and are always looking for recommendations.

Old 06-20-2011, 04:19 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmpsmp0205 View Post
Christine-
where does your husband put it? We love kayaking and are always looking for recommendations.
He just went to the Occoquan Reservoir and dropped it in at Lake Ridge park, I believe. Then yesterday he did something around Fountainhead Park but not sure we he got in the water.

Old 06-20-2011, 06:30 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,958,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post

Also, I think a lot of people tend to forget that we have the rivers here. They aren't really part of our local culture.
That's fine by me. I like having a few places that are the best kept secrets in town.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia