Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-20-2011, 07:25 AM

28 posts, read 29,629 times

Advertisements

Has anyone noticed an increase of ticks on their dogs this season? I live in an apartment complex and somehow my dog has gotten a few ticks on him. Is this normal?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-20-2011, 07:32 AM

5,121 posts, read 6,800,412 times
I noticed more early in the season. My dogs never got any (then again, they take tick medicine), but my poor daughter picked up three so far this year just from playing outside (two she got at school). Now I check her nightly. Luckily, none were deer ticks.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:55 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I've heard that insects in general will be unusually strong this year, so that probably includes ticks. So far I've noticed grass flies and fireflies are out in force. Boo about the grass flies, but yay for lots of fireflies. So far we haven't had any Japanese Beetles but I stocked up on bags just in case. I figure it could be a bad year for them.

Old 06-20-2011, 08:00 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
My dog gets tonnnnnnnns of ticks each year. (And of course she has long fur, so it's a pain to find them). I'd say we pull off 15-20 each season, just from walks through the park and around the neighborhood. (She is an expert at suddenly diving into piles of leaves and tall grass though...)

Old 06-20-2011, 11:27 AM

49 posts, read 83,761 times
There was a report that this year the tick population is much larger than previous years. I've picked several off of my kids and dh has also had one so far.

I used to love being out in the woods and also letting my kids go exploring in nature and such, but now I've resigned them to playing in the front yard only. Pretty sad huh? I know too many people who have had lyme disease touch their lives and the effects have been devastating.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:01 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times
NoVA has a horrible tick problem -- blame it on 1) a large population of deer and 2) a large population of field mice that seem be related to constant construction of homes and buildings.

What is worse, the Lyme disease infection rate is ridiculously high in, say, Loudoun County, almost on a part with parts of CT where the disease was first identified.

Because I do not want to use spray on-type tick medication for my dogs (such medication has a history of seizures in dogs and fertility problems for humans), I am extra vigilant about ticks. I do not let them roam in wooded or weeded areas. I also created a tick management zone in my bacyard per the Tick Management Handbook I read on the Internet (CDC, I think). You can use rocks, mulch, wood chips, etc. of several feet in depth and surround your yard away from wooded/grassy areas. This, of course, does not completely cut off ticks from the area, but signficantly reduces the number of ticks in the protected area and lowers the chance of one getting on you and injecting the Lyme spirochete.

Lyme disease was virtually unheard of in the Pacific Northwest where I lived, despite a very active lifestyle (and dogs) many people had, but I've met so many who caught it here in NoVA.

Eeek times 100.

Old 06-20-2011, 01:06 PM

1,403 posts, read 2,149,430 times
I might add that I also aggressively control the mice population in my area.

Old 06-20-2011, 07:12 PM

509 posts, read 974,161 times
I have found a few ticks on my dog so far this year whereas she never got them the past 2 years I've lived in this house. So maybe there is a higher amount of ticks this year unfortunately. On walks trying to keep her from running into tall areas of grass near the sidewalk in some common areas of the neighborhood that aren't being mantained very well. Unfortunately the tall grass interests her so it is easier said than done!

Old 06-21-2011, 05:13 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,855,402 times
I've had 5 ticks this year and my husband has had 3....he never gets any - usually it is me. Neither of us are dogs but we're still getting ticks The funny thing is that we live in a townhome and have no grass in our backyard. We may only go out to the driveway or walk on the walkway to the backyard to feed the birds or something and then boom - got ticks....got ticks?

Old 06-21-2011, 07:34 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
You all are making my head itchy. Must stop reading this thread...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia