Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 09:41 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,526,625 times

Advertisements

Yes, most custom builds are teardowns. I'd look as much as possible in Vienna, areas to the north of Vienna, and Falls Church/areas close to Falls Church.

You could also buy a well-kept rambler in Vienna/Pimmit Hills and build a new wing on the back that'd include a new kitchen, etc. My wife and I briefly considered that before we decided to move from Vienna.

You can get a teardown lot in Vienna for 440-450k. That'd leave you 400k with which to build something. It might not be an opulent place but it shouldn't be the bottom of the line.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-22-2011, 06:48 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,535,233 times
You could essentially live AT Tysons Corner and stay within your price range. The whole area roughly defined by Gallows, Woodford, and Electric Avenue is full of upscale homes, and via Woodford or Gallows/Old Courthouse and then 123-N, you could be in Tysons in under ten minutes at the height of rush hour. The Dunn Loring Metro station would be less than ten minutes in the opposite direction. In a third direction, less than ten minutes would put you in downtown Vienna, and now that the Idylwood bridge is open again, 10 minutes in the fourth direction would put you in downtown Falls Church. As a marker, there is a place in Williams Hill -- one of the spiffier spots in that area -- on the market right now. 5000+ sqft, built in the mid-1990's for $900K.

Old 06-22-2011, 07:58 AM

158 posts, read 380,128 times
We love living in Oakton. We are about 10 minutes from shopping in Reston, Fair Lakes, and Vienna. We live pretty deep in Oakton on Vale but I was driving on Miller Rd today and that area might be good for you as it is very close to 123 shopping. schools are great too!

Old 06-22-2011, 09:19 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,115,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
You could essentially live AT Tysons Corner and stay within your price range. The whole area roughly defined by Gallows, Woodford, and Electric Avenue is full of upscale homes, and via Woodford or Gallows/Old Courthouse and then 123-N, you could be in Tysons in under ten minutes at the height of rush hour. The Dunn Loring Metro station would be less than ten minutes in the opposite direction. In a third direction, less than ten minutes would put you in downtown Vienna, and now that the Idylwood bridge is open again, 10 minutes in the fourth direction would put you in downtown Falls Church. As a marker, there is a place in Williams Hill -- one of the spiffier spots in that area -- on the market right now. 5000+ sqft, built in the mid-1990's for $900K.
Looks like the Williams Hill house on Woodford went under contract almost immediately after it was listed (don't know if it had one of those "coming soon" signs before then).

Old 06-22-2011, 09:51 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,598,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJacks View Post
BrooklynBornDad, you mentioned possibly Fair Oaks which is very close to where we are now. Is the commute not to bad from this area? I just thought it would be since it seems like 66 is so congested.
I cant really say - I used to live in the Blake lane area, but commuted to DC via metro. I have seen posters here imply that folks living in Fair Oaks can avoid I66 on the way to Tysons, and at least one such person implied that there really shouldnt be/isnt a premium for being in the Blake Lane area vs being in Fair Oaks. I can't really address that, but given that the beltway is pretty congested from Annandale to Tysons, I would think Fair Oaks would be a good alternative. Not sure what your budget would buy there though.

Old 06-22-2011, 09:57 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,598,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
I don't think it's actually in the City of Fairfax, but that whole Mantua block between Pickett and Prosperity, and 236 and 50 is a nice area. Eakin Park is a sizable chunk of it, so that helps. Very pleasant (except maybe for right next door to the tank farm) and close to everything.

my only gripe about Mantua is that most streets lacks sidewalks. Given how close in it is, and that convenience to the CCT is a major draw, thats kind of annoying.

Old 06-22-2011, 08:00 PM

49 posts, read 84,010 times
You all have given me a lot to go on, thanks so much!

I think our next step will be driving through some of these areas and getting a "feel" for them and then spending more time on Homes Database and Redfin.

We still have a pretty long time left on our lease, but this gives us a good starting point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia