Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2011, 02:31 PM

2 posts, read 5,917 times

Advertisements

Hello all!

I’ve been offered a job at GMU and so have been lurking this forum quite a bit in the past few days. Now that I’ve received the formal offer, I’d love some input on housing/commute options. I’ve lived in small town/suburbia all my life, so I’m excited (and slightly overwhelmed) at figuring out the best set up. Some information:

-Mid-20s female (no partner, children, or pets)
-Moving from central Pennsylvania
-Would be working at GMU- Fairfax campus
-Looking to rent
-Salary is $40,000, so 25-30% of income budgets about $800-1000/month
-Job includes transportation benefit of up to $230/month towards public transit
-Will be bringing a car with me
-Seeking a neighborhood for young professionals with restaurants, music, outdoors activities, nightlife (although not a huge drinker)

Because I don’t know many people in the area, I would like to live somewhere that I could meet other young professionals and build a social circle. I am stuck between deciding if I want to live close to GMU to reduce commute time or choose a “livelier” neighborhood in exchange for convenience/cost. If I live farther away, I would highly prefer to take the metro to work in order to use the transportation benefit. I am aware that I would need to live with roommates in order to stay within my budget. A friend has recommended Arlington to me-- what neighborhoods may fit the bill?

I welcome input on living in Arlington and working in Fairfax, as well as any other suggestions you can provide on where to live. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by DarlingClementine; 07-28-2011 at 03:16 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2011, 03:01 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,581,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarlingClementine View Post
Hello all!

I’ve been offered a job at GMU and so have been lurking this forum quite a bit in the past few days. Now that I’ve received the formal offer, I’d love some input on housing/commute options. I’ve lived in small town/suburbia all my life, so I’m excited (and slightly overwhelmed) at figuring out the best set up. Some information:

-Mid-20s female (no partner, children, or pets)
-Moving from central Pennsylvania
-Would be working at GMU- Fairfax campus
-Looking to rent
-Salary is $40,000, so 25-30% of income budgets about $800-1000/month
-Job includes transportation benefit of up to $230/month towards public transit
-Seeking a neighborhood for young professionals with restaurants, music, outdoors activities, nightlife (although not a huge drinker)

Because I don’t know many people in the area, I would like to live somewhere that I could meet other young professionals and build a social circle. I am stuck between deciding if I want to live close to GMU to reduce commute time or choose a “livelier” neighborhood in exchange for convenience/cost. If I live farther away, I would highly prefer to take the metro to work in order to use the transportation benefit. I am aware that I would need to live with roommates in order to stay within my budget. A friend has recommended Arlington to me-- what neighborhoods may fit the bill?

I welcome input on living in Arlington and working in Fairfax, as well as any other suggestions you can provide on where to live. Thanks in advance!

If you were to live in the hip parts of north arlington, you would be taking the Orange line to Vienna, and then the CUE bus (what, about 20 minutes?) to the campus. You are likely still going to want to have a car, so its not like you save on that (though since you would certainly need a roommate in North Arlington, maybe you could share a car). Other than that option, I dont know that transit will make much sense. So much for the value of the transportation benefit.

I would look at Old Town Fairfax - not sure about the housing (and you'd still need a roommate there, I think, but the housing would be cheaper than Arlington) but its at least got SOME nightlife. And its pretty close to GMU.

Others will suggest the Fair Oaks area, I suspect.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:30 PM

9,781 posts, read 15,817,228 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brooklynborndad View Post
If you were to live in the hip parts of north arlington, you would be taking the Orange line to Vienna, and then the CUE bus (what, about 20 minutes?) to the campus. You are likely still going to want to have a car, so its not like you save on that (though since you would certainly need a roommate in North Arlington, maybe you could share a car). Other than that option, I dont know that transit will make much sense. So much for the value of the transportation benefit.

I would look at Old Town Fairfax - not sure about the housing (and you'd still need a roommate there, I think, but the housing would be cheaper than Arlington) but its at least got SOME nightlife. And its pretty close to GMU.

Others will suggest the Fair Oaks area, I suspect.
Well, she wouldn't be paying for gas or adding wear and tear on her car. I commuted by Metro for 9 years, during some of that time I got transportation benefits. It was great - I spent about $20 total per month to commute and just used my car on weekends.

Having said that, I'd seriously look at the Metro to CUE bus schedules, because it might not be that convenient. I'd prefer to live near GMU - there is enough going on there to enjoy it and you can drive into Arlington or Metro there when you want to go out.

Old 07-28-2011, 03:50 PM

2 posts, read 5,917 times
Thank you both for the replies.

I also thought the transportation benefit was nice-- I wouldn't mind a longer commute if it meant using the Metro vs. driving/sitting in traffic. I will definitely check into the Metro/CUE bus schedules. I also know there is a shuttle that runs from the Vienna stop to GMU every half hour.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Well, she wouldn't be paying for gas or adding wear and tear on her car. I commuted by Metro for 9 years, during some of that time I got transportation benefits. It was great - I spent about $20 total per month to commute and just used my car on weekends.
What I meant was that if she lives in say Old Town Fairfax, or pretty much any other logical suburban location near GMU, or west of GMU, or east of GMU towards annandale or springfield, or up in Fair Oaks, or even in Shirlington or Old town Alex - IOW anywhere OTHER than North arlington - she will likely find that a car (I would suggest a very fuel efficient one) will make more sense in terms of the cost/time tradeoff than taking the bus. If that doesnt work, she should live close and bike.

I am a pretty big transit advocate, including use of the bus.

But GMU is not particularly well situated for bus usage other than the CUE bus (I mean the 29K- really? slow, and not very frequent) and unless you are coming all the way from the metro station, its not really alot of car miles you are cutting out.

GMU handing out a transit benefit package isn't the same as an employer downtown or in North Arlington handing out the same package.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:05 PM

2,076 posts, read 3,438,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarlingClementine View Post
Thank you both for the replies.

I also thought the transportation benefit was nice-- I wouldn't mind a longer commute if it meant using the Metro vs. driving/sitting in traffic. I will definitely check into the Metro/CUE bus schedules. I also know there is a shuttle that runs from the Vienna stop to GMU every half hour.
My son lived on campus one year without a car and interned at the Pentagon. He did it all by CUE bus and Metro, so I'm sure a reverse trip probably is possible too. I also think GMU has a bus that runs out to the Fair Lakes area as I've seen something that looks like that back there.

Old 07-28-2011, 04:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by choff5 View Post
. I also think GMU has a bus that runs out to the Fair Lakes area as I've seen something that looks like that back there.
I would check that out - didnt know about it.

Old 07-28-2011, 06:09 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,690,028 times
I'd at least consider Masonvale....brand new and somewhat cheaper that similar off-campus digs. Over your budget of a grand, but, without roomies, ANY decent place in NOVA will be over a grand...

Of course, Masonvale is not in the middle of a club district. I've never understood that anyway (too old maybe)...but one has to go to work everyday, one does not have to go to the bar everyday. IMO, commute to the bar, not to work!

Masonvale Fairfax Apartments | Apartments in Fairfax, VA | George Mason University Student Housing Apartments

Old 07-29-2011, 07:29 AM

1,532 posts, read 2,270,211 times
I see this question all the time on CD and given that you're working at a college campus, chances are you will meet people that live in the area. Fairfax City has some fun places to hang out, and University Mall shopping strip center has some music venues, etc. Going on the assumption you will most likely not find a place in Arlington withhin walking distance to a metro, you will have to take a bus on both ends. Waiting for the bus in rain, cold, wind, hot humid weather will get old very fast. You will spend more time commuting to your job, than having to drive anywhere for a social life. I would move near your job, get the lay of the land, see where your social life takes you, and if it doesn't meet your lifestyle, than move after 1 year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia