Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2011, 11:57 AM

150 posts, read 299,168 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are looking at homes and we keep seeing homes where the entire basement is tiled! I don't understand this. The basement family room is supposed to be cozy, right? Tile does not say cozy to me.

So I'm wondering if people do this for a reason. Is it because of flood potential or something? I'm from Utah where floods aren't something we worry about too much. And we love our cozy carpeted family rooms!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 12:04 PM

10 posts, read 21,520 times
I do not know why some tile their basement. Could be worried about cleanup in case of basement flooding.
You are thinking of 'Floods". Not a typical problem in most of Virginia, has happened, just depends on where you live.
I think more basements are flooded from poor drainage around the house and sump pump failure, can be problem with heavy rains.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:37 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,203,528 times
I can see using tile in the basement - either linoleum tile (not flooring) or ceramic-style with throw rugs of some sort.

I have a large unfinished basement. That place is dry as a bone and has been dry as a bone for more than 20 years.

Except twice.

Both times the cause was sump pump failure (water-depth-sensing switch failure) and water rising right THROUGH the concrete floor as well as from around the floating-slab edge. Each time the amount of water was minimal - 1/4"==>1/2" in only part of the basement...but can you imagine the horrible damage had the flooring been carpet?

So...whenever I get around to finalizing the finishing of this basement (Soon! Soon! Studs and pre-connect wiring in for 10 years now!) I certainly am considering some sort of tile floor.

Old 08-05-2011, 12:49 PM

4,902 posts, read 7,475,783 times
Never thought of the basement as "cozy". I thought of it as a practically indestrucible place for children: playdough, easels and finger paint, school projects etc are much easier to clean up on tile. It is also easier to build block towers etc on level flooring. My kids even roller skated on rainy days. We always had area rugs near the tv/sofa area.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:37 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,963,011 times
I'm with you! I hate tile floors in the basement! It's so cold and uninviting. As we look at houses, I'm mentally calculating the cost of putting in carpet in any basement rec rooms.

I'm one of the weird ones who wants carpet in the bedrooms too though. I don't like cold wood floors when I get out of bed in the winter.

Old 08-05-2011, 02:48 PM

393 posts, read 1,204,083 times
I installed vinyl wood-look tile in my lower level for three reasons: 1. The washer is in that area. Shortly after installation a hose burst and there was water to clean up. On the good side, the water cleaned the floor. 2. I have a sliding glass door and knew I'd be in and out a lot in the warm months. Tile makes for easier cleanup. 3. My floor is not level, so vinyl was able to conform to the floor. I have an area rug on top of the tile. It works for me.

Old 08-05-2011, 05:26 PM

150 posts, read 299,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I'm with you! I hate tile floors in the basement! It's so cold and uninviting. As we look at houses, I'm mentally calculating the cost of putting in carpet in any basement rec rooms.

I'm one of the weird ones who wants carpet in the bedrooms too though. I don't like cold wood floors when I get out of bed in the winter.
I'm the same. I don't care for cold floors in bedrooms. Carpet lovers unite!

Old 08-05-2011, 06:33 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,314,990 times
The only rooms in my house with carpet are in the basement. The entire main floor is hardwood, cork (kitchen), and tile (bathrooms). I prefer hardwood with area rugs to carpet.

Old 08-05-2011, 07:21 PM

2,612 posts, read 5,596,562 times
Tile floors are practical for several reasons. First, they are pretty flood-proof. Also, even if there is not a complete flood, they are better for damp areas. Carpets can get a little moldy and musty if the room tends to be damp. Also, tile is just a really durable floor - much more than carpet or hardwood. I'd prefer a tiled basement floor, or maybe even cement, but I'd put lots of area carpets over it. It's so humid in VA...a lot of my friends have carpeted basements, and they always feel damp and smell funny.

Old 08-06-2011, 12:17 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,109,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kembek View Post
I installed vinyl wood-look tile in my lower level . . . Tile makes for easier cleanup. 3. My floor is not level, so vinyl was able to conform to the floor. I have an area rug on top of the tile. It works for me.
I've used these types of tile before and their quite nice. Seems like they're getting better and better too. It has the look of wood but resilience and ease of vinyl. The finished floor looked better than I had imagined.

Our townhouse in Loudoun Co had a walk-out basement (not walk-up) and we put carpet down when we finished it which worked fine. However, as others have stated, I would not use carpet if there is a concrete floor that tends to be damp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia