Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2011, 03:56 PM

1 posts, read 1,757 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family and I will be moving to the Northern VA area late this year from the Raleigh/Durham NC area. My wife will be working in DC, and I'll be working in Ashburn. We have two elementary age kids and will be looking for a good middle school for one of them in a year. We are looking to rent a SFH as we may only be in the area for approx. 3 years. Family oriented neighborhoods with lots of elementary and middle school age children as well as fairly decent schools would be a plus. We'd like to stay under the 3k range for rent if possible and need something with at least 4 beds and 2,5 baths.

My wife and I may both have the option of working from home a few days a week so would be interested in whether traffic is always bad everywhere, or if changing your morning, evening commute time matters?

We've been looking at the Manassas area as it appears to provide the option of using the trains to go into DC and or Ashburn. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Ahh we also have a large dog. So more like a family of five!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2011, 04:16 PM

2,765 posts, read 8,327,876 times
move to Ashburn, then your wife can ride the Loudoun County bus into DC

Old 08-05-2011, 04:42 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,617,938 times
I would move to centreville, its safe,clean and it is right off 66 offers busses to metro stops and is close to manssas and ashburn (its central) for 2750-3000 (I did a search for 20120 on realtor.com) you can get 4 bedroom 4 bath sf house for 2200-2400 a 4 bedroom 4 bath townhouse you have good fairfax schools as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anubis24 View Post
Hi, my family and I will be moving to the Northern VA area late this year from the Raleigh/Durham NC area. My wife will be working in DC, and I'll be working in Ashburn. We have two elementary age kids and will be looking for a good middle school for one of them in a year. We are looking to rent a SFH as we may only be in the area for approx. 3 years. Family oriented neighborhoods with lots of elementary and middle school age children as well as fairly decent schools would be a plus. We'd like to stay under the 3k range for rent if possible and need something with at least 4 beds and 2,5 baths.

My wife and I may both have the option of working from home a few days a week so would be interested in whether traffic is always bad everywhere, or if changing your morning, evening commute time matters?

We've been looking at the Manassas area as it appears to provide the option of using the trains to go into DC and or Ashburn. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Ahh we also have a large dog. So more like a family of five!

Old 08-05-2011, 05:17 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
How funny, we will be crossing paths down I-95! We just found out we are moving to the Raleigh/Durham area (Chapel Hill) at the end of the year! I definitely would not look in Manassas - you would both have a long commute into DC and Ashburn, and their schools aren't ranked that highly. Ashburn is a great family place - picture newer homes in subdivisions with lots of kids running around and you've got Ashburn. If you want to be closer to your DC job and in between DC and Ashburn then Chantilly, Reston, or Herndon may work for you.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:34 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,656,633 times
With school aged kids, I would avoid Manassas if you had any other choices. It's certainly not awful, but you can do better for schools in most other places.

Old 08-06-2011, 05:56 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,171,128 times
We are moving to Greenbriar in Fairfax/Chantilly at the end of the month. You could most definitely find a rental home there for that price. Don't know about commute to DC - there appear to be commuter busses nearby. The schools are all basically in the neighborhood (we will be walking distance to all 3 levels of school), and very well rated. My husband works in Ashburn, and it seems his commute will be pretty easy. We have even looked into bike trails for him - it won't be quite as nice a ride as he currently has from Reston, but it is doable.

Another thought is Burke, where your wife could very easily hop on the VRE downtown.

I don't know much about South Riding, but that might also be an option. I would assume there are busses into DC like from Ashburn.

We live in Reston right now, and it is quite an easy ride to Asburn, and not too bad to DC. It will get even easier once the Metro construction is completed

Last edited by hilsmom; 08-06-2011 at 06:24 AM..

Old 08-08-2011, 06:02 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,515,492 times
If you're considering Loudoun, I'd be looking at the Leesburg-Ashburn corridor over South Riding, as (1) you do have access to the Greenway/Dulles Toll Road, (2) 7 is better than 50 in rush hour, and (3) (long-term here), Metro access is better.

Old 08-08-2011, 02:53 PM

1,529 posts, read 2,264,024 times
As a working parent in the metro area for many years, I can't stress enough the convenience and peace of mind of having one parent that lives/works in the same area. The convenience of having to pick up a sick kid, make a sports practice, dr appt's, etc is huge. Since your wife has the benefit from working from home, this would lessen the daily grind for a DC commute. I would check out the commuting options from Ashburn to DC before ruling out Ashburn and exploring other areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia