Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 10:57 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,867,112 times

Advertisements

Oh, I love Gasbuddy! It doesn't help much in Manassas though at least on my side. If I drive over to the other side, gas is generally .05 - .10 cheaper.... Sometimes though I find it is cheaper to gas up in Arlington than in Manassas....that makes no sense at all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 11:01 AM

78,797 posts, read 61,009,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Oh, I love Gasbuddy! It doesn't help much in Manassas though at least on my side. If I drive over to the other side, gas is generally .05 - .10 cheaper.... Sometimes though I find it is cheaper to gas up in Arlington than in Manassas....that makes no sense at all.
How did you like the article though. That's some interesting stuff.

I think it's fascinating and shows how sometimes laws intended to protect us have unintended consequences. It also explains how at least in quite a few states that they gas station CANNOT lower their prices until they get the next shipment of gas that cost less.

Old 08-16-2011, 03:22 AM

1,558 posts, read 3,867,112 times
Sorry - yes, I completely get that article and it makes complete sense especially for places like Vermont even though the 'mom and pop' shops are generally always patronized before a 'big-chain' unless it's local. Hmmmm....wonder how retail stores and Walmart fits into all this . Oh....another topic!

I guess my issue - is that no one actually 'knows' what is going on at the pump when it comes down to it. I think there is a large discrepancy going on and it is either not being addressed or we are all just turning a blind eye to it.

In the last 24 hours I have passed the same BP 3 times. Yesterday morning the amount was 3.56, yesterday afternoon it was 3.53, this morning (and apparently last evening when one of my neighbor's passed it) it was at 3.59. This is what I really don't understand.

So - what I'm being told is that essentially this particular gas station had 3 fill-ups within the last 24 hours. I'll take note of what the price is this afternoon or even check gasbuddy to see if it changes before I even get there, and then changes again.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:37 AM

78,797 posts, read 61,009,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
Sorry - yes, I completely get that article and it makes complete sense especially for places like Vermont even though the 'mom and pop' shops are generally always patronized before a 'big-chain' unless it's local. Hmmmm....wonder how retail stores and Walmart fits into all this . Oh....another topic!

I guess my issue - is that no one actually 'knows' what is going on at the pump when it comes down to it. I think there is a large discrepancy going on and it is either not being addressed or we are all just turning a blind eye to it.

In the last 24 hours I have passed the same BP 3 times. Yesterday morning the amount was 3.56, yesterday afternoon it was 3.53, this morning (and apparently last evening when one of my neighbor's passed it) it was at 3.59. This is what I really don't understand.

So - what I'm being told is that essentially this particular gas station had 3 fill-ups within the last 24 hours. I'll take note of what the price is this afternoon or even check gasbuddy to see if it changes before I even get there, and then changes again.
There is also supply\demand and local competition, plus there may be pricing decisions at the corporate, regional or even individual station level that make the pricing shift based upon what they are seeing in their sales numbers.

Let's say they bought a bunch of gas at $3.50 a gallon, they may charge anywhere from $3.50 up to $3.70 depending on various factors. Remember, they make most their money selling OTHER stuff so they are going to price their gas to drive foot traffic into the store and sometimes that will be a couple changes even in a single day.

I think that when you start thinking about gas as a marketing item to try to sell OTHER goods it makes more sense as they are really just trying to get people to stop at their store USING gas as a tool to do so.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia