Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 01:55 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,126,302 times

Advertisements

A funny thing is happening at my HOA gym. I wonder if this is happening in other places too or if we just have the misfortune to have a political fanatic living nearby.

Our gym has a tv, with a remote control accessible to anyone who wants to watch a particular channel. For the last several years, it's been turned to sports or CNN, sometimes to Judge Judy or sitcoms. For years everyone has been able to exercise without getting annoyed by the tv--but lately it's become an issue. Someone is stopping into the gym every day, and throughout the day, and putting on political shows that support a particular POV.

Also, every day the HOA finds political magazines and information for the same party stuffed into the magazine rack. I hear that they are removed, but keep reappearing. The HOA has now put up a polite sign asking people to ask others before changing the channel, but that doesn't seem to be having an effect and people have been complaining, so they are considering putting up a sign saying No Political Shows/No Political Pamphlets or Magazines.

I never thought I'd see the tv in the gym become an issue--but I guess a lot of people go there to work off tension (often from their job with the government) and the last thing they want to see is politics or people fighting over the remote. Can you believe it? Is this a sign that this year we'll have political campaigning in steroids? Or just a singular person who's gotten a little carried away? What do you think of this?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 02:07 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,201,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Someone is stopping into the gym every day, and throughout the day, and putting on political shows that support a particular POV.
It's perfectly okay to say WHAT political POV.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:09 PM

518 posts, read 926,586 times
Politics has always been a divisive issue. I don't think that this is an indication of anything to come. It is just a reaffirmation of why some places have a no politics rule in place. I have seen things like this pop up in many different areas. I even saw a no politics rule at a laundromat in Charleston, SC. The person(s) doing this are just examples why these rules are in place.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:26 PM

12,906 posts, read 15,688,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sullyguy View Post
It's perfectly okay to say WHAT political POV.
I can almost guess....

Old 08-15-2011, 02:32 PM

430 posts, read 1,060,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I can almost guess....
Whig party is my first guess

Old 08-15-2011, 02:33 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,201,375 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I can almost guess
Me, too.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:51 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,740,453 times
I don't think we can assume anything about the particular POV. I can't stand to watch either Limbarf OR Olberstuffed. And I commend Caladium for leaving that info out, as it's not relevant to the point and if included would result in derailment of the thread.

Eventually the idiot changing the channel and leaving the flyers is going to get caught.

Till then, can't the HOA program the TV to skip that channel/those channels?

Old 08-15-2011, 02:54 PM

1,759 posts, read 2,032,409 times
Why isn't the Food Network on at the gym?
That always motivates me, because I would rather exercise a lot than deprive myself.

Old 08-15-2011, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alltheusernamesaretaken View Post
Why isn't the Food Network on at the gym?
That always motivates me, because I would rather exercise a lot than deprive myself.
LOL Food Network would be ok as long as it's a show about healthy foods. I don't know if I'd want to work out while watching a cake decorating challenge, though.

Old 08-15-2011, 03:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
Till then, can't the HOA program the TV to skip that channel/those channels?
Oooh, good suggestion. I'm out of town right now but I'm e-mailing my daughter to see if she can pass it on to the staff the next time she works out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia