Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-15-2011, 07:59 PM

12 posts, read 17,863 times

Advertisements

Hi,
Moving to the Arlington area and I've heard this was a great neighborhood to rent, however I'm wondering since these are older homes, are there problems with noise from neighbors or street?

We're looking for a great walkable neighborhood feel close to activities, work and colleges. However, we'll be moving from our SFH that we just sold and into these townhouse style homes. It will be a big change in privacy but hopefully it will be worth it. Any comments?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2011, 09:52 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,470,013 times
I don't live there but have a friend who does (you may get better replies from others, later). FWIW--She's very happy there--the only complaint I've heard is that when she has people over, space can be an issue (esp. kitchens are small).

Old 08-16-2011, 05:57 PM

160 posts, read 280,303 times
We've rented in Fairlington (townhouse) for 2 years and have loved it. We can walk down to Shirlington for dinner, coffee, groceries. No street noise near us, but we can hear our neighbor's dogs bark. LOUDLY. That's been our only complaint. Otherwise, it's a charming, friendly neighborhood.

Old 08-17-2011, 12:24 PM

14 posts, read 41,307 times
My sister in law lives in Fairlington. I love her place and she is really happy there! A great neighborhood feel with tons of pools, tennis courts etc. All ages.

Old 08-17-2011, 01:13 PM

628 posts, read 1,937,576 times
I was an original owner after the development was converted from WWII era apartments to condos. I bought a 3-level Clarendon model in 1979 for $38k! After marrying and starting a family, we moved to a SFH in Springfield in 1987, mostly for space reasons. Fairlington was a great place to live, particularly for singles or young marrieds, and from what I know it still is. Shirlington was redeveloped during my time in Fairlington and expansion since has contributed to the desirability of the area. The location relative to work places in Arlington or DC is excellent. All the rooms in my townhouse were small, especially the kitchen, which makes family living difficult. Deck privacy can be an issue, but this was not an important issue for me then. I loved the easy access to a pool as well as walking distance to a variety of stores and restaurants. Access to miles of walking/running and bike trails is nearby. Recreation facilities are close. The noise issue depends on where your unit is located. For example, some are close to I-395 or King Street while others are imbedded in the interior of the subdivision. You don't mention if you will be buying or renting or if you have children. If no children and you plan on renting, I'd go for it. If you plan on a family, you'll likely start thinking of a move back into a SFH before the kid(s) reach school age.

Old 08-17-2011, 06:00 PM

515 posts, read 1,696,337 times
Many years ago I dated a fella who lived there. The home was lovely but the electric bills drove him crazy (due to electric heat). You might want to inquire about utility bills before you sign on the dotted line. Hopefully they have upgraded the HVAC.

I don't recall a noise problem but was only in one unit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia