Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 07:02 AM

648 posts, read 1,333,183 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhDLoser View Post
florida sales tax is about 8%, roughly 3% higher than VA. I'm not sure that makes up for a nearly $2500 total car tax I will pay if I still purchase the car I'd like (along with our other car)

$2500? What kind of car do you have? and how are you figuring the tax?

When I moved here I had a brand new Range Rover and my tax STILL wasn't that much.
Of course, I sold it and got a cheaper car because I thought it was B.S. too

Last edited by katyusha25; 08-18-2011 at 07:02 AM.. Reason: typo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2011, 07:20 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
ACWhite, I accept the second half of your response as reasonable. The first half is not - my ability to drive a certain car should not be impeded by the state, it should only be affected by my own choices and the regular market forces, i.e., what the car company chooses to charge.

florida sales tax is about 8%, roughly 3% higher than VA. I'm not sure that makes up for a nearly $2500 total car tax I will pay if I still purchase the car I'd like (along with our other car)
That must be some kind of car you're driving.

My total bill for four cars this year is $506.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:32 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
New resident here, please skip if you plan on giving me a demarche. My post is for those that have successfully avoided the fascist car tax.

My family is in Florida. Can anyone tell me what exactly I need to do to avoid paying the car tax here in Arlington? A Florida insurance rep said if my car is registered in Florida then the insurance must be written there as well and that my car's title should also be in my folks name in case I'm in an accident so the insurance company cannot claim I actually live in Virginia.

It is my understanding that the only risk after registering my car out of state is that a neighbor will report me and a silly county swat team will say I must register the car in Florida.

Please, I'd appreciate any advice on how to avoid the car tax. I just received my bill and it's $800.

Thank you!

So you want to use OUR ROADS and OUR SERVICES and not pay your "fair share"?

I don't like the tax either, but it is not right that you are trying to EVADE it.

Old 08-18-2011, 07:50 AM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
It's a ridiculous thing to complain about. VA could eliminate it and then just raise income taxes - is that what you want? At least this way you can control how much taxes you pay.
I'm sorry but a car tax just don't make sense to me. A car is a depreciating asset and in Virginia you pay sales tax on it when it is worth the most so I think that should be the end of it. Besides I know as a VA native that they will just write more traffic tickets to make up for any shortfall from no car tax.

And before I get my customary "shut the up and we're happy you left" treatment from the NoVA regulars I paid $76 tax on a car worth $4k here in Kentucky and am currently considering moving to TX which does not have a car tax.

And OP, while I think the car tax is dumb, it is your right to roll the dice just be prepared to c^#p out and get busted.

Quote:
So you want to use OUR ROADS and OUR SERVICES and not pay your "fair share"?

I don't like the tax either, but it is not right that you are trying to EVADE it.
Moderator Cut

Last edited by FindingZen; 08-18-2011 at 09:28 AM.. Reason: off-topic

Old 08-18-2011, 08:11 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,311,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
$2500? What kind of car do you have? and how are you figuring the tax?

When I moved here I had a brand new Range Rover and my tax STILL wasn't that much.
Of course, I sold it and got a cheaper car because I thought it was B.S. too
Maybe the OP is figuring the amount paid over a period of years?

Old 08-18-2011, 08:12 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,650,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post
I'm sorry but a car tax just don't make sense to me. A car is a depreciating asset and in Virginia you pay sales tax on it when it is worth the most so I think that should be the end of it. Besides I know as a VA native that they will just write more traffic tickets to make up for any shortfall from no car tax.

And before I get my customary "shut the up and we're happy you left" treatment from the NoVA regulars I paid $76 tax on a car worth $4k here in Kentucky and am currently considering moving to TX which does not have a car tax.

And OP, while I think the car tax is dumb, it is your right to roll the dice just be prepared to c^#p out and get busted.

Why does no one here complain about the illegals in NOVA who use our roads and don't pay for them either since most of their stuff is registered in MD?

I think the car tax is stupid too. I lived in Maryland until I was 30 years old and was aghast when I had to start paying such a thing.

My great and uncle lived in Virginia a long time ago and this used to all be a part of Virginia's "luxury" tax. They used to come in to your home and assess a tax on a real silver you had, automobiles, boats, and any other luxury. That all went away and we are left with the car tax. Cars aren't a luxury here, not anymore. But, when I moved from Maryland, my taxes went down in other areas that I more than made up for the car tax with my move.

But I agree that the premise of it is downright stupid.

I remember living in Japan we had a similar "car tax." It was called JCI and it was assessed yearly and it was freaking expensive. Basically it was a road tax. If you owned a car, you paid JCI. This was country wide though.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:28 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,170,151 times
alanboy - TX real estate taxes are quite high. Just be prepared for that - That is where they get you. No state income tax sounds all well and good until you figure out you more than make up for it in real estate.

The car tax used to be MUCH worse. But I also want to know what luxury vehicle someone owns and pays $2500/year on under the current reduced car tax system.

I am a bit annoyed that they did away with the stickers but still make you pay for it ;P

Old 08-18-2011, 08:45 AM

509 posts, read 974,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vermonter16 View Post
I do and have done everything I can to support those that are working on this. I'm not sure about the whole being registered in Maryland bit but I do live in Manassas and see mostly VA cars.
When I lived in Manassas I saw a lot of probable illegals driving around without a county or city sticker with VA plates. They probably didn't have valid driver's license or insurance either. They are a real problem, for sure. I've known a few people who got in an accident with them and of course as the other person had no insurance the innocent person's insurance company had to pay out, along with that person paying their deductible which is very unfair.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:48 AM

509 posts, read 974,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilsmom View Post
I am a bit annoyed that they did away with the stickers but still make you pay for it ;P
I don't mind being rid of the stupid sticker. It was a lot of work to peel off the old one each year to replace it with the new one. I don't know why they couldn't have made them with some adhesive that made them a bit easier to remove a year later.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:50 AM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alanboy395 View Post

Why does no one here complain about the illegals in NOVA who use our roads and don't pay for them either since most of their stuff is registered in MD?
I don't really want to get into the details of how we should be taxed as that should be left on the politics forum. But I think it's fair to point out (as others have) that states will get their revenue all the same but just in different ways. If you want to argue that states should do the same job they currently do, or do less, with less revenue, then that's a totally different argument that you should take up with your representative. Relative to most states, Virginia residents have a low tax burden and have good services with a balanced budget. While not perfect, it's better off than most states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia