Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2011, 05:03 PM

1,256 posts, read 4,194,686 times

Advertisements

A couple neighbors and I have noticed somewhat higher - like 50% - water bills this quarter. Did we miss somethig w.r.t. cost increases? My bill is typically about $220 or so per quarter, this time it was about $360. That's probably the most I've ever seen...ever. One neighbor is pretty much identical to mine, the third had something like a $500 bill. We all have in-ground sprinkler systems and the high-bill neighor probably waters more than we other two. In the past the "sewer" charges took into account that water was being put into the ground, not the sewer and looking over one bill it appears this still is happening, so it's NOT an apparent increase in sewer use due to lawn sprinkling. Anway, anyone out there have a clue about this? [I'm on the wrong computer to check this all out so can't look at historical bills, etc to see if I had some sort of Heads Up about it. But all three of us are wondering what's going on]
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2011, 08:50 PM

199 posts, read 672,432 times
Looks like rates increased a little on April 1st. Of course the Spring newsletter says it should only amount to an increase of ~$3.69/qtr for the avg household.

http://www.fairfaxwater.org/rates/

Did your winter consumption go down versus previous years? Your summer bill is determined by the amount of water you use in the winter.

Old 08-18-2011, 08:21 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,088,493 times
Wow, my water bill is about $90-$120 per quarter . . . .

Is it possible to get a record/report of your usage from the water company? This way you can compare what you've been using from the past.

Do you have a sump pump? Is this part of your sewer fees?

Have you talked to them about the dramatic increase in cost?

One time, when we lived in Loudoun County, we had three people in the house and 1 moved out. This would mean 1 less person taking showers or baths, doing their laundry, etc. However, my water bill stayed the same and got even higher (with only 2 people in the house!). I contacted the water company and lo and behold, my bill went down (just a little but it did go down).

Not sure what's happening but definitely ask for the report and let them know your concerns. Good luck!

Old 08-18-2011, 08:42 AM

8,826 posts, read 15,313,301 times
Wow. That does seem high. We don't have a sprinkler system and are never over about $90 per quarter. The increase seems like a lot as we didn't notice an increase. I'll have to go back over our recent history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia