Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2011, 08:31 AM

3 posts, read 2,418 times

Advertisements

Thanks for your "help" everyone. I am not racist, like I said, I have not had the best experience with lower class rather than race, but in San Diego, unfortunately most of our lower class population are either Hispanic or African American. FYI: I am Hispanic, so again, it's not so much race as class that's important to me. When you have worked very hard your entire life to NOT become your stereotypical racial cliche and do well for yourself, the last thing you want it to live within the environment you grew up seeing. I was always taught to move upwards in life...Perhaps you would understand what I meant if you live in South Bay San Diego. Believe me, a lot of the hard-working, educated, overachiever people here, of many races, feel the same...

Again, thanks for taking my question seriously. My husband has a job with a government agency again your help would have helped.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:45 AM

9,775 posts, read 15,776,851 times
Well around here upper-middle class consists of all races and ethnicities. There are very few, if any, all white areas. Most places have a significant minority population including Asians, Hispanics, Middle-Easterners, Blacks, and other racial and ethnic minorities. If you are not comfortable living among them, then this is not the place for you. That's just how it rolls in the DC-area.

If you have worked very hard to not become a "sterotypical racial cliche," then I suggest you give other minorities the benefit of the doubt, too.

Old 08-19-2011, 10:22 AM

2,090 posts, read 4,244,907 times
OK - I'll bite - Reston my not fill all your criteria, but it is well established and will be an easy commute for your husband. You will find a nice place to live and great activities for your daughter.
11010 THRUSH RIDGE RD, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
11919 SENTINEL POINT CT, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com
1404 NEWPORT SPRING CT, RESTON, VA 20194 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com

Old 08-19-2011, 12:22 PM

3 posts, read 2,418 times
THANK YOU JfromReston!

I think, know, everyone completely took my question in the wrong light. I will admit, it is partially my fault because of what I have been exposed to in San Diego and most of CA. People here with money, all the safest areas with the best school...they are all in "white" neighborhoods. It's just a fact here!

I'll rephrase my question asking for the same guidelines, but insist on staying away from low class rather than a certain race. We just want to live somewhere safe, with excellent private school options, that's family friendly yet not too suburban. We want to stay away from cookie cutter homes and places where Chili's and Cheesecake Factory are considered "fine dining" option. Let's see who gets on me NOW for insulting Chili's!

Old 08-19-2011, 12:25 PM

2,380 posts, read 4,513,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrunette View Post
Thanks for your "help" everyone. I am not racist, like I said, I have not had the best experience with lower class rather than race, but in San Diego, unfortunately most of our lower class population are either Hispanic or African American. FYI: I am Hispanic, so again, it's not so much race as class that's important to me. When you have worked very hard your entire life to NOT become your stereotypical racial cliche and do well for yourself, the last thing you want it to live within the environment you grew up seeing. I was always taught to move upwards in life...Perhaps you would understand what I meant if you live in South Bay San Diego. Believe me, a lot of the hard-working, educated, overachiever people here, of many races, feel the same...

Again, thanks for taking my question seriously. My husband has a job with a government agency again your help would have helped.
You spent most of your post complaining about "lower class" and "Black and Hispanic" people and how much you want to avoid "those people" (which is a barely disguised codeword.) Sorry if we're not going to take you seriously.

If you want white people for $2,500 a month, try Stafford or Fauquier Counties, although I understand there might be some Asians and lower-class whites there. I also fear there'll be some whites there who don't care that you "worked very hard your entire life," they'll just see a damned ****.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:31 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,453,630 times
"This time around, we would like to live in a predominately white (or very upper middle-class) area." This statement illustrates the very definition of racist behavior.

Old 08-19-2011, 12:48 PM

175 posts, read 437,940 times
If your husband is going to be working in Mclean, then there are no "low class" areas within driving distance because housing is so expensive anywhere within that area. Traffic should be your biggest concern and what kind of commute time your husband desires. For a reasonable commute, you would be looking at Vienna, Falls Church, and some parts of Reston. As for private schools, are you looking for religious affiliation or non religious and for what grade? All of the areas I mentioned are very family friendly.

Old 08-19-2011, 01:42 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
If you have worked very hard to not become a "sterotypical racial cliche," then I suggest you give other minorities the benefit of the doubt, too.
Yes, please do!

Old 08-19-2011, 01:46 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,680,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ACWhite View Post
"This time around, we would like to live in a predominately white (or very upper middle-class) area." This statement illustrates the very definition of racist behavior.
Yes, let's turn it around and ask how the O.P. would feel if people didn't want her to move into their neighborhood because of how she looks?

Old 08-19-2011, 03:02 PM

4,489 posts, read 10,941,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ybrunette View Post
We just want to live somewhere safe, with excellent private school options, that's family friendly yet not too suburban. We want to stay away from cookie cutter homes and places where Chili's and Cheesecake Factory are considered "fine dining" option. Let's see who gets on me NOW for insulting Chili's!
Not going to happen. Northern Virginia is textbook suburban sprawl, where cookie cutter homes ARE the neighborhoods. And chain restaurants and strip malls are a staple everywhere around here.

Seriously, most of the places with unique restaurants are the dreaded "low income" places. We have a wealth of awesome ethnic restaurants in the area, but *gasp* they aren't in wealthy neighborhoods.

Are you sure you want to come here? It doesn't sound like it's a good fit for what you seem to be looking for. It's very integrated, very cookie cutter, and very chilis friendly.

Why not look at DC? If you're looking for private schools anyway, then you can get a condo in an upscale area and have access to all that the city has to offer. Although there will likely be a mix of economic levels in the area, since that's just the way cities tend to work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia