Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2011, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 1,587 times

Advertisements

Hello! I am looking in to buying my first place. I am in my early-mid twenties and single so I want to live some where in NOVA that is convenient to bars/restaurants, preferable walking distance. I currently live in Alexandria (landmark area) and I am tired of throwing money down the drain every month to pay for someone else’s mortgage. Before moving to Alexandria I was in Woodbridge which I found way to far from everything. I work in Vienna and would prefer a 30 min or less commute but could go up to an hour. I work swing/night shift so rush hour traffic is not really an issue for me. I also have a lg. American bulldog so I need a place that will accommodate her and would really love to have a back yard or a park close by so she can have some exercise. Unfortunately I have a budget of 150k. So I was just wondering if anyone has any opinion on good areas for me to start looking at. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2011, 03:39 PM

248 posts, read 701,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlelexx23 View Post
Hello! I am looking in to buying my first place. I am in my early-mid twenties and single so I want to live some where in NOVA that is convenient to bars/restaurants, preferable walking distance. I currently live in Alexandria (landmark area) and I am tired of throwing money down the drain every month to pay for someone else’s mortgage. Before moving to Alexandria I was in Woodbridge which I found way to far from everything. I work in Vienna and would prefer a 30 min or less commute but could go up to an hour. I work swing/night shift so rush hour traffic is not really an issue for me. I also have a lg. American bulldog so I need a place that will accommodate her and would really love to have a back yard or a park close by so she can have some exercise. Unfortunately I have a budget of 150k. So I was just wondering if anyone has any opinion on good areas for me to start looking at. Thank you
If you really really want to own a place with all of those features, the best way to do that is move away to a cheaper area.

It is far more expensive to own a place than rent a place in this area. It is the other way around in most other cities. That budget will not work for this area with your requirements unless you can deal with an extremely long commute (over an hour).

Another thing too, owning a place is also throwing your money away. You also have to pay interest to the bank, property tax, and don't forget repair costs around the home, possible HOA fees, closing costs, and being glued to the place. The way to avoid the majority of that is with a very large down payment and keeping the place for more than 10 years in my opinion, which is unlikely with a place that costs 150k in this area.

The only way to truly dodge losing money in either scenario is to live with parents.

Old 08-24-2011, 04:54 PM

1,304 posts, read 2,428,944 times
I have to echo the above response. 150K just does not buy nice property in this area especially if you found Woodbridge to be too far.

Buying a home only beats renting several years after purchase and with appreciation in home values (which as we've seen in the past few years is not a guarantee).

Old 08-24-2011, 04:59 PM

1,558 posts, read 3,860,451 times
What do you currently pay in rent now? With low interest rates you might be able to afford more. Why don't you talk to a realtor and see?

Old 08-24-2011, 05:33 PM

10,125 posts, read 13,998,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxlelexx23 View Post
To piggyback off of what tsuric said, you probably will only be able to afford a condominium and that's even in the some of the most affordable places, like Woodbridge. The thing about condos not only do they have HOA fees, but depending on where you go, they are usually high and might not even include utilities. Then depending on how good the HOA is, you may incur unexpected expenses caused by your neighbors, like faulty pipes causing leaks and damaging your drywall. All in all, you have to wonder what do you want to really do. Do you want to have a place just to have it, or do you believe it is an investment that will help you in the future? If you still believe buying is best, especially at your budget now, Woodbridge and even Manassas (the not so good parts) are probably the most realistic options. Fairfax is not happening at that budget unless you stay in the Fairfax part of Alexandria along Route 1 and that alone presents it's issues. Hope this put some perspective on your thinking.

Old 08-24-2011, 06:48 PM

1,751 posts, read 2,407,632 times
Hey. I've got a six by eight tool shed I could clear out. PM me!

Old 08-24-2011, 06:51 PM

1,570 posts, read 4,622,086 times
you could buy a very nice 1 bed room condo in my complex in Centreville for less than $150k

Old 08-24-2011, 07:12 PM

560 posts, read 1,292,923 times
This listing says it's is 1 mile from the new metro, but if Phase 2 goes through then the proposed Reston Parkway station would be closer-

2356 SOUTHGATE SQ, RESTON, VA 20191 | Listing Information | HomesDatabase.com

Don’t know if there is room for negotiation. Also, it’s a diverse neighborhood (if you're interested) I would check out the community center to see if you can handle it. Walkable to the RTC.

Old 08-25-2011, 03:57 AM

1,751 posts, read 2,407,632 times
On the serious side xxlelexx23, you won't find a decent property at $150K or below meeting your specifications close in to the Vienna area. Check out listing number PW7676213 on some of the local real estate websites. It meets your price range and seems to have a yard. No bars or restaurants within walking distance though.

If you are commuting outside normal work hours, you may be able to reach Vienna within an hour from Prince George's county. If you want to check these out look at real estate listing numbers PG7664063 and PG7395866. These are both single family homes with a nice yard for under 150,000. I suggest you drive out to them with a realtor, see them and judge the commute for yourself. It costs you nothing to look.

If you are looking at properties within walking distance of shopping, bars etc. www.walkscore.com is a great tool.

Old 08-25-2011, 06:41 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,998,103 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ersatz View Post
On the serious side xxlelexx23, you won't find a decent property at $150K or below meeting your specifications close in to the Vienna area. Check out listing number PW7676213 on some of the local real estate websites. It meets your price range and seems to have a yard. No bars or restaurants within walking distance though.

If you are commuting outside normal work hours, you may be able to reach Vienna within an hour from Prince George's county. If you want to check these out look at real estate listing numbers PG7664063 and PG7395866. These are both single family homes with a nice yard for under 150,000. I suggest you drive out to them with a realtor, see them and judge the commute for yourself. It costs you nothing to look.

If you are looking at properties within walking distance of shopping, bars etc. www.walkscore.com is a great tool.
I know I'm going to get criticized for this, but those PG County properties are in a better area (as far as safety) than the Prince William County place. The one that is listed in Suitland, technically is not Suitland, it's actually known as Morningside. It's very quiet, next to Andrews AFB, but there isn't any bars or restaurants for miles. The other property is in Temple Hills and is right in between the Fort Washington and Clinton areas. There are a few small strip malls with mom and pop shops, but honestly nothing to really go to for miles either.

All three of those places are close to the same distance away from Vienna and I know there are even more places in PG County that are available in that price range, it just depends on what you want the most (better commute, owning a home, safer neighborhood, closer to amenities).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia