Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2011, 12:32 PM

648 posts, read 1,333,829 times

Advertisements

How long before the expiration of both the stickers and tags does the county send out bills to pay them? I think both of mine expire in either September or October and I haven't seen anything yet.

In California, they send it out about 2 or 3 months before it's due.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2011, 12:46 PM

2,189 posts, read 3,316,562 times
Not sure about Loudoun, but I think all the counties in Virginia are pretty much the same in that payment is due around early October each year. The old stickers usually expire around that time I believe, although I thought they were doing away with stickers this year.

Old 08-29-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
Not sure about Loudoun, but I think all the counties in Virginia are pretty much the same in that payment is due around early October each year. The old stickers usually expire around that time I believe, although I thought they were doing away with stickers this year.
So they don't send out bills? We just have to remember to pay it?

Old 08-29-2011, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by katyusha25 View Post
So they don't send out bills? We just have to remember to pay it?
No they do send bills. I got mine a few weeks ago, and it's due sometime in early October. I'm in Fairfax County. I'm not sure when Loudoun mails theirs out but they definitely send bills.

Old 08-29-2011, 01:02 PM

Vehicle Personal Property Taxes (http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=1376 - broken link)

Old 08-29-2011, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCNova View Post
No they do send bills. I got mine a few weeks ago, and it's due sometime in early October. I'm in Fairfax County. I'm not sure when Loudoun mails theirs out but they definitely send bills.

Thank you!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:32 PM

462 posts, read 1,210,537 times
We live in Loudoun.......our plates expire end of September. We received our bill sometime in July. I don't believe it is a one size fits all. Depending upon when you first registered the car, that determines when it is due. This is a state (vs. county) thing.

Now for the car tax (personal property tax), it is billed semi-annual....I believe it is due May and November. You get your Loudoun County decal (for the windshield) sometime in November I think. Hard to remember all this crap.....only been here 2 years.

The inspection is due annually...depending upon when you first registered your car. That is up to you to remember to have done. No notice for that. From what I understand, the cops are more than happy to point out (as in ticket you) if you don't have a current inspection sticker.

Emissions is due every 2 years.....up to you to remember that too.

There has to be simpler way.

Old 08-29-2011, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCPA View Post
We live in Loudoun.......our plates expire end of September. We received our bill sometime in July. I don't believe it is a one size fits all. Depending upon when you first registered the car, that determines when it is due. This is a state (vs. county) thing.

Now for the car tax (personal property tax), it is billed semi-annual....I believe it is due May and November. You get your Loudoun County decal (for the windshield) sometime in November I think. Hard to remember all this crap.....only been here 2 years.

The inspection is due annually...depending upon when you first registered your car. That is up to you to remember to have done. No notice for that. From what I understand, the cops are more than happy to point out (as in ticket you) if you don't have a current inspection sticker.

Emissions is due every 2 years.....up to you to remember that too.

There has to be simpler way.
This is helpful too, thank you!

Wait a minute...emissions and inspection aren't the same thing? Jesus.

Old 08-30-2011, 04:55 AM

63 posts, read 106,698 times
You could buy a car in August at CarMax with a May inspection sticker, so what you need to remember is, the inspection is not necessarily tied to when you bought/registered the car. The Emissions requirement will be noted on the mailer you receive from DMV when it is time to renew your license plates(tags). If the Emissions test is required, you can't renew your license plates until you get the Emissions test done. The garage sends the information to DMV, and then you can go on-line to renew.

Loudoun County has a paperless process, so you might receive an e-mail notification to pay your county personal property tax and decal fee on-line. Due dates are basically May 5th and October 5th.

Old 08-30-2011, 07:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachbag4 View Post
You could buy a car in August at CarMax with a May inspection sticker, so what you need to remember is, the inspection is not necessarily tied to when you bought/registered the car. The Emissions requirement will be noted on the mailer you receive from DMV when it is time to renew your license plates(tags). If the Emissions test is required, you can't renew your license plates until you get the Emissions test done. The garage sends the information to DMV, and then you can go on-line to renew.

Loudoun County has a paperless process, so you might receive an e-mail notification to pay your county personal property tax and decal fee on-line. Due dates are basically May 5th and October 5th.
So when you get an inspection sticker, what exactly is being inspected? the entire car? The exhaust that's emitted?

When I moved here, I sold my car and got another one through the dealership, so obviously, this stuff was already done for me. So even though I've lived here a year, I'm still not sure how this process works.
Thanks for your patience!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia