Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2011, 07:03 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,484,554 times

Advertisements

Sorry guys. I also call it "National Airport" and I never use the "new name". I just used it on the title of this thread since it is the official name now. I didn't realize people were so sensitive on this subject. But I am sympathetic to your cause. I find it disturbing that they would re-name a facility already named after a founding father for a guy who was barely out of office. What's next? Obama is gonna replace McKinley on Mount Rushmore? I think there should be a 50-year rule for naming buildings after Presidents. They must wait 50 years after he is out of office, or perhaps wait until after death to name things after him.

Anyways, I was aware that the main terminal is still in use. I believe Jet Blue operates out of it mainly in the "banjo" section. And that the museum is a portion of the old main terminal that you can walk to between the new terminal and the banjo area. I just didn't get a chance to walk that far when I visited recently. I really would have loved to walk inside of the interim terminal, but I believe those are all offices now.

Does anyone know if there are pictures available online of the interior of some of these older terminals taken before their closure? This sounds wierd I know. But I just became obsessed with this subject upon visiting National Airport recently for the first time in years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 07:03 PM

10,914 posts, read 31,430,151 times
Please, let's not debate the name of the airport as that's a topic for another thread, though it does date to the Clinton Administration. That can be discussed in another thread, not this one. Thank you for your cooperation.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Last edited by bmwguydc; 08-31-2011 at 11:21 PM.. Reason: Typo - happens when mobile

Old 09-01-2011, 09:31 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,577,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwguydc View Post
Please, let's not debate the name of the airport as that's a topic for another thread, though it does date to the Clinton Administration. That can be discussed in another thread, not this one. Thank you for your cooperation.

But can we discuss how President McKinley ended up on Mt Rushmore?

Old 09-04-2011, 03:12 PM

3,910 posts, read 9,484,554 times
Ok thanks for the answers. Didn't find what I was looking for. I'll check back one more time. If anyone knows where I can find photos or good info on the older terminals of the airport, let me know. I have spent too much time googling and not finding much. I found several websites with some exterior photos and some historical info. But nothing along the lines of the detail I was craving. I figured someone would have posted photos of the interiors of the terminals all those years and added them to the internet.

Old 09-05-2011, 05:25 PM

15,438 posts, read 25,855,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nolefan34 View Post
Ok thanks for the answers. Didn't find what I was looking for. I'll check back one more time. If anyone knows where I can find photos or good info on the older terminals of the airport, let me know. I have spent too much time googling and not finding much. I found several websites with some exterior photos and some historical info. But nothing along the lines of the detail I was craving. I figured someone would have posted photos of the interiors of the terminals all those years and added them to the internet.
I wonder if airliners.net or flyertalk.com forums might have more answers for you. I've never searched for what you're looking for, but both of those forums have people who really know their stuff about things like this.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia