Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2011, 07:32 AM

648 posts, read 1,336,747 times

Advertisements

You know what I find really weird? I've been here a year, I have a boyfriend and one (1!) girlfriend I hang out with and i'm always busy and hardly ever home. I've never seen anything like it.

I mean I'm glad, its better than being bored all the time, but it's weird! My life wasn't like this when I lived in CA.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2011, 09:07 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
Another thing you will find here, which I am not a fan of, is people will ask you "so what do you do" usually within a minute or two of meeting you.
I've heard this sentiment from other people from out West. Evidently the ice-breaker question out there is "What are you into?" I would not know how to answer this. Ice cream? Puppies? What are they really asking me? What are my hobbies? I would probably answer "My job! Do you have one?"

Just kidding! I would probably answer "Snowboarding while eating a pizza and thinking about sex."

I think people ask the job question because let's face it, your job is a huge chunk of your waking life. In fact, I suspect the only reason this question isn't asked in the LA area is to avoid offending the legions of aspiring actors whose current job is waiting tables, etc.

Old 09-03-2011, 06:10 AM

414 posts, read 909,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
I've heard this sentiment from other people from out West. Evidently the ice-breaker question out there is "What are you into?" I would not know how to answer this. Ice cream? Puppies? What are they really asking me? What are my hobbies? I would probably answer "My job! Do you have one?"

Just kidding! I would probably answer "Snowboarding while eating a pizza and thinking about sex."

I think people ask the job question because let's face it, your job is a huge chunk of your waking life. In fact, I suspect the only reason this question isn't asked in the LA area is to avoid offending the legions of aspiring actors whose current job is waiting tables, etc.
Probably a rather dangerous thing, especially if you are male. LOL!

Old 09-03-2011, 06:24 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,710,280 times
Quote:
True. Also, I actually VERY interested in what type of work people do for a living. I love to hear what other careers are out there, who people work for, and what it's like. It's just very interesting to me. Is that a bad thing?

Old 09-03-2011, 02:37 PM

430 posts, read 1,062,070 times
A lot of people ask for networking purposes. If you have ever been through a layoff, then knowing where all of your contacts work becomes extremely handy when you get your pink slip and start job hunting in a hurry.

Old 09-04-2011, 07:19 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,535,233 times
Quote:
Part of it has to do with the personality types that are drawn to a place like DC. There is quite a bit of shallowness, pretentiousness, "fake-ness", if you will, here. That mainly comes from people who are drawn here from other areas, that are interested in their careers, and are after money / power....
Aw, geez! People are busy because they have interests in a little more than sitting around in front of the TV with a bag of cheetohs sucking down football games and reality shows every night. How many 20-somethings are involved in classes, be they formal university-level things, or something like cooking, dancing, or kayaking? How many sing in a church choir, coach a youth sports team, or volunteer at a nursing home or animal shelter? And we haven't even gotten to the kid-related stuff yet. People are busy because they are out leading actual lives. They may not be able to squeeze you in at some requested point in time because their lives are actually rather full already. But rather than expecting that sort of thing, we should instead take it as some sort of sign that these people are shallow, pretentious, and fake??? I don't think so.

Quote:
Many people just don't go there (or come here) just to make a living, they go/come to make a name for themselves and "become someone" so to speak.
Many talented people come here for the opportunity to work with some of the highest quality minds in the country on issues and problems that actually matter, and many of them are willing to take even substantial cuts in salary in order to be able to do that.

Quote:
Another thing you will find here, which I am not a fan of, is people will ask you "so what do you do" usually within a minute or two of meeting you.
The only place I have not been asked this question is in the south. There, they'd rather know where you are from.

Last edited by saganista; 09-04-2011 at 07:34 AM..

Old 09-04-2011, 02:10 PM

2,688 posts, read 6,697,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Aw, geez! People are busy because they have interests in a little more than sitting around in front of the TV with a bag of cheetohs sucking down football games and reality shows every night. How many 20-somethings are involved in classes, be they formal university-level things, or something like cooking, dancing, or kayaking? How many sing in a church choir, coach a youth sports team, or volunteer at a nursing home or animal shelter? And we haven't even gotten to the kid-related stuff yet. People are busy because they are out leading actual lives. They may not be able to squeeze you in at some requested point in time because their lives are actually rather full already. But rather than expecting that sort of thing, we should instead take it as some sort of sign that these people are shallow, pretentious, and fake??? I don't think so.

Many talented people come here for the opportunity to work with some of the highest quality minds in the country on issues and problems that actually matter, and many of them are willing to take even substantial cuts in salary in order to be able to do that.
Bravo on both points.

Old 09-04-2011, 09:03 PM

221 posts, read 439,387 times
Quote:
I suspect the only reason this question isn't asked in the LA area is to avoid offending the legions of aspiring actors whose current job is waiting tables, etc.
Good point.

Old 09-05-2011, 01:45 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,159,601 times
Quote:
Well said! I see lots of discussion in the forum from people busy with volunteer activities, hobbies, church, walking, boating/fishing, photography, painting, sports, concerts, etc. The people on this forum don't strike me as being shallow (well, most of them anyway ) and I think the forum members are typical of the people in Nova.

Quote:

The only place I have not been asked this question is in the south. There, they'd rather know where you are from.
When I lived in SC the question was "what church do you go to?" Talk about a question that feels odd when you're new in town.

Old 09-05-2011, 12:45 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,797,578 times
I quickly give up on people, who are difficult to make plans with. Look how expensive concert/sports tickets are nowadays. I went alone tot he Moody Blues Concert several months ago. Scored an 80 Dollar ticket for 10 bucks. The guy's friend backed out with a "stiff neck." I was reminded of that by the OP. If you are with a regular group of friends from a bar, that can be cool--you just stop by the bar and see who's out for the evening (or morning). The problems with that are there are very few cool bars in NoVa, way too much driving, way too expensive, and many don't drink regularly.
Just look at what would be involved in going to see Paul McCartney at Fedex on a weeknight. There would be a least one major logistical problem.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia