Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-31-2011, 03:56 PM

259 posts, read 510,444 times

Advertisements

Perhaps I'm putting the cart before the horse here, but I was wondering what is the best options for tennis lessons for children and where in the Northern Virginia area would I find them?

I have a 10 month old daughter who is very active (started walking at the end of 7 months) and I want to start her early in the "country club" sports/activities. Of course 10 months is too early, but when do they usually start?

Thanks for the input in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2011, 05:56 PM

384 posts, read 1,029,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by still_waiting View Post
Perhaps I'm putting the cart before the horse here, but I was wondering what is the best options for tennis lessons for children and where in the Northern Virginia area would I find them?

I have a 10 month old daughter who is very active (started walking at the end of 7 months) and I want to start her early in the "country club" sports/activities. Of course 10 months is too early, but when do they usually start?

Thanks for the input in advance.
I worked at a recreation center where they taught really basic tennis skills to children 6 and up. I don't know if they start earlier. I haven't taken tennis lessons locally so I can't advise on that. I think tennis is a great sport. Hope you both have a great time.

Old 08-31-2011, 05:59 PM

Thank you Pandoras. So basically it might be better to start her off with Rec Center lessons then if she shows promise then semi-private pro lessons? Yes I think tennis is a great sport also.

Old 08-31-2011, 06:38 PM

384 posts, read 1,029,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by still_waiting View Post
Thank you Pandoras. So basically it might be better to start her off with Rec Center lessons then if she shows promise then semi-private pro lessons? Yes I think tennis is a great sport also.
Well, rec center lessons are typically cheaper then semi-private pro lessons. It is a good place to start and learn the basics. The little kids basically learned how to hold the racket and hit the ball...as best they could over the net. They seemed to have a lot of fun.

You don't have to have semi-private lessons to learn how to play. It is helpful to have private or semi private pro lessons if you want to compete.

Old 08-31-2011, 08:42 PM

8,826 posts, read 15,318,969 times
Do you belong to a pool/tennis club? You could check there. Our club has courts and the tennis pro provides lessons. I don't think they are very expensive ($50 for 6 group lessons) and they are done in groups of about 6-8 people. I'd say the youngest I've seen are probably about 6 years old or so.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgbwc View Post
Do you belong to a pool/tennis club? You could check there. Our club has courts and the tennis pro provides lessons. I don't think they are very expensive ($50 for 6 group lessons) and they are done in groups of about 6-8 people. I'd say the youngest I've seen are probably about 6 years old or so.

Not as of yet I'm not a member of any clubs. In January we are moving from Manassas to Alexandria, so I will definitely be looking into some clubs after then. $50 for 6 lessons is not bad at all. Guess we have some time before the tot reaches 6. Until then I guess I can expose her to tennis as far as watching it when televised.

Old 09-01-2011, 12:57 PM

298 posts, read 680,881 times
If you live close in, YMCA Arlington Tennis & Squash Center has programs beginning at age 4, and around age 4-5 is about as early as you should start. At the Arlington facility, they do a better job with the kids than I've seen anyone do. They make it fun and it is very active, not a lot of standing around for them and nobody gets bored. It's a nice facility, too. All the courts are indoors, and parents are totally physically separated from the kids. Parents go into a lounge up above, with coffee and TV, and watch through the glass.

Old 09-01-2011, 07:33 PM

127 posts, read 355,769 times
I started "playing" tennis when I was 3, in sort of a tennis kindergarten in a local club. As long as the training is kept fun it's definitely not too young to start. Do you play?

Old 09-01-2011, 08:03 PM

264 posts, read 854,849 times
10 months old ? way too young.. this area will offer any kind of class at any age to make money- but at 10 months? I know with my youngest now age 5 I wanted more- but 1) throwing away money at this age 2) a sport at this age can actually turn them off..

Old 09-02-2011, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamounts View Post
I started "playing" tennis when I was 3, in sort of a tennis kindergarten in a local club. As long as the training is kept fun it's definitely not too young to start. Do you play?
Ok, general consensus I'm getting is an age range of 4-6 years old. Guess that depends on the child and how they take to it. Dad doesn't play tennis, and I think what may be smart for me to do is get some lessons in before she's ready to start.

Arabellava, my first post pretty much explains that 10 months is too young. I am just doing my homework so I'll be prepared. Time flies, these kids grow right before your eyes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia