Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-08-2011, 05:25 PM

4,196 posts, read 6,306,360 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone,
i've been with Comcast for a few years now....no contract.
i have the basic cable (15 or so channels) and good enough high speed internet. I pay a total of 55 bucks a month. (i don't have a land line phone)

I'm trying to make a switch to another company to get a better deal. maybe more tv channels.
I don't want to pay more than 75 bucks a month and 100 if it includes home phone.

what's the best deal out there that you know of?
i don't want my rate to go up after a year and then end up paying more than 75 bucks on the average.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2011, 08:19 AM

143 posts, read 336,371 times
By the title of the thread I thought you were going to tell us all what the best deal is!

I don't have any suggestions because I am kind of in the same boat...moving to Falls Church in two weeks and trying to sort through the options and special packages. It looks like Fios has a double-play with cable and Internet for $75, but that fee will increase as time goes by--it's one of those "new subscriber" deals.
Anyway, I will be interested in reading responses from people who actually have something to say!

Old 09-09-2011, 09:57 AM

1,449 posts, read 3,174,105 times
yeah, beware the "new subscriber" deals - and they usually have additional fees for services more than just basic (like HD packages or even FASTER internet)

I thought my Verizon bill would go down after I dropped my home phone from my plan. It did, a little, just not as significantly as I had hoped. There is a per month charge for each box, and they no longer offer a non-HD set-top box. So, I'm paying almost $40/month just in box fees for a multi-room DVR and 2 HD-capable set-top boxes.

I will eventually drop their TV service, although my husband might cry about the special football package he had to order after the fact so he could see his precious Longhorns (a school he didn't even attend - so annoying).

Old 09-09-2011, 10:36 AM

298 posts, read 681,426 times
I'm a strong believer that FIOS is the best product around, and by far. I love my FIOS and we got it as soon as it was available in my neighborhood (years ago). The TV is fantastic and looks fully uncompressed, and the Internet speed is totally unmatched. But I don't think you can get it without spending at least $100-120/mo. Gekkota, that $75/mo promotion is without DVR, taxes, and regulatory fees, I imagine. Those things add up.

Old 09-09-2011, 11:09 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,737,095 times
We have Fios internet plus basic cable (Comedy Central, AMC, etc, but not HBO or the like). We pay a total of just under $85. There were indeed a few bundled discounts at the first, but they've surely expired by now, almost a year after we signed up. That's for one non-DVR STB.

The picture and speed are great--but I'm tempted to drop TV as well. There's just so little on that's worthwhile. All our favorite shows are now in reruns, anyway.

BTW, a few months ago, I complained when they dropped Discovery Health and some sports channel, and they gave me $10 off per month.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia