Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-11-2011, 10:32 PM

1,652 posts, read 3,882,668 times

Advertisements

SO and I are in the middle of a condo purchase in Arlington (roughly between the great cities of Pentagon and Crystal), and we just found out there is original early 1960s parquet under the carpeting - score!! Now I just need to find someone really, really good to refinish it (to whatever degree of refinishing it requires). We ended up spending less on our new home than we'd expected, so we'll be able to splurge a little on extras, like purple Viking appliances and skilled floor refinishing and stuff. I mean, I don't want to get *scammed* and over-pay, but I want someone really experienced and meticulous who will do a really, really good job, and I'm willing *not* to 'nickel and dime' the project. Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2011, 04:29 AM

2,516 posts, read 3,412,000 times
Have no floor refinishing recommendations to offer you, but CONGRATULATIONS on finding a place to buy!! Wishing you all the best in your new home! I'm sure you'll be very happy in Arlington.

Old 09-12-2011, 06:36 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,731,910 times
Alicia, congrats!

A neighbor had good things to say about this place:

Hatcher Floors 7655 Fullerton Road Springfield , VA 22153-2835

Whoa, purple appliances!? Don't forget, you may someday want to sell your place.

Old 09-12-2011, 08:31 AM

2,737 posts, read 5,459,897 times
Alicia, so I guess you believed me that this is a nice neighborhood? :-) Welcome, neighbor! Let's get our mowers out and clean up those medians.

Checkbook.org recently had a story on metro area floor refinishers and I believe it included ratings and prices. I think you'd find it helpful.

Note to mods: Checkbook.org is a non-profit and I have no connection with them at all except that I subscribe like everyone else. So this is not "advertising."

Old 09-12-2011, 07:03 PM

414 posts, read 907,792 times
You may want to check out Mr. Sandless. Not sure if the parquet is the same as standard in terms of what /how they do it, but this company re did our standard hard wood floors which were VERY DULL, and they look beautiful now. That beauty has held up for 14 months so far and is still as good as it looked the day after they were done. Not sure what your price range is either but they are not too bad. Its also quick. Ours was done in 6 hours and ready to take shoes in 24 hours. We had approximately 650 -700 sq feet done. Hope that helps. Congrats on the new place and the great find under the carpet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia