Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2011, 11:45 PM

2,879 posts, read 7,780,709 times

Advertisements

Our neighborhood officer told us that a strong cat urine smell could possibly be a meth lab. YMMV. It is something everyone should know. Meth is a horribly destructive illegal drug.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2011, 08:52 AM

491 posts, read 1,170,887 times
Even Nature's Miracle will not get rid of all the smell, because cat pee seeps into the subfloor, as a previous poster said. As well as baseboards and potentially drywall. So that pee is in that neighbor's home deep down. Nature's Miracle has something in it that "dissuades" the cat (or dog) from peeing there again. But the cat's owner has to USE it, and it doesn't appear that the owner even recognizes there's a pee odor problem at this point -- many pet owners become immune to the smell.

I wonder if your local Animal Control would come out to verify the cat smell and write something up for you? Do you think there are several cats on the premises? Any suspicion that there's a "cat hoarder" living there? Cuz that's certainly something that would bring Animal Control out.

If I were in your situation, I would find a housing lawyer and pay for a consultation on your options. I could certainly see a lawsuit based on the other owner's failure to take suitable action, which has infringed on your "right to enjoyment" of your property -- ie, the rental income.

It's not going to be enough just for that owner to have the tenant evicted. There will be costly remediation action -- ripping up subfloors, etc., for example, or hiring one of the cleanup companies that come in after fires and help clear out the smoke odor (whatever technique they use could work on cat pee odor).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia