Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2011, 12:15 PM

2,867 posts, read 3,584,693 times

Advertisements

First, I apologize for asking what has clearly been discussed numerous times. I did do a search, but quickly got lost in the "local" lingo on what I was looking at.

My wife and I were transferred to Chicago from Cary, NC in January of 2009. Yeah, we still don't like it.

I have an opportunity to get us out of Chicago and return back closer to home-plate. The office is located just inside the beltway and Leesburg Pike, in Tysons.

I'm in commercial real estate finance, and most of my business for the past several years has been in DC, primarily in the CBD, with a couple of projects in Reston and Dunn Loring. I'm familiar with the area, but not a "local" yet.

We have two wonderful children, a boy @ 3+ years, a girl at 10 months. We really miss the suburban life of NC, which mimics Leesburg/Ashburn the closest. We really like Leesburg, specifically the area just south along 15. I like it, because it offers both 7 and the toll road (even with the high tolls).

I was in DC in June, and had a chance to drive the toll road from Leesburg into Tysons. It wasn't bad at all, but it was also at 10am, not 8am. I'm OK with an hour commute each way, as that is what I've had here in Chicago (12 miles), and was pretty close in NC (Cary to Chapel Hill) via back country roads. LOVED IT! I've kept my eye on the traffic data from Google Earth and an app on my iphone for a few weeks. Looks bad, but not God Awful, but that's just looks.

So, my question is - how bad is it to go from just south of Leesburg on the toll road into (and through) Tysons corner? Job is a 9-5'er. Am I looking at a two hour commute each way?

Thank you everyone! I really hope this works, and we can get out of Chicago!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2011, 01:24 PM

799 posts, read 1,292,999 times
My wife does the commute from Leesburg to Tysons via the toll road. We live on the NE side of town. The worst part will be going through Tysons and all the construction going on there. The trip is 45-60 minutes each way depending on the time of day. Living just south of Leesburg will help your commute cause. As an aside, we moved to Leesburg about 2 months ago and love it here. Great place to raise a family.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:42 PM

2 posts, read 4,967 times
Default distance

I would say 45 minutes at the most, the issue with 267 occurs at the greenway / toll road transfer. I live in SW Leesburg right off the backside of 7 and make it to/from dulles in 20 minutes. I usually leave at 630 though.

It seems the traffic pics up at 730 and is pretty hot until 9, for obvious reasons. Back and forth from the 7/267 greenway ramp to tysons will run you about 15 bucks a day. 5 one way on the greenway and about 2 to get to Tysons from 28.

Old 08-23-2011, 02:56 PM

Thank you both! I'm curious, do many folks take sideroads to avoid the greenway, then pick up the toll road from 28? From Leesburg, I'm curious how busy Sycolin Road gets, which dumps into Waxpool, then south on 28 to the toll road? The salary difference I'm looking at will allow for the $300/month toll road charges, but if a few side roads for an additional 15 minutes of easy-ish driving can avoid the big chunck of that cost, might as well take it, right? Or, am I thinking what everbody already knows, and does?

I simply can't wait for this opportunity to come together. We can't stand Chicago! I own a snow blower. Not that I won't be glad to have one in DC, but the difference between "have every now and then" vs "need nearly every day" is big!

Last edited by NC211; 08-23-2011 at 03:07 PM..

Old 08-23-2011, 03:49 PM

1,418 posts, read 3,463,122 times
you're gonna want to use the Toll Road and the Greenway.... it will probably be less than an hour but you need to factor in costs for tolls (which are significant). You could take route 7 but that is a nightmare of a drive, lots of volume and lights. BTW you can't currently come onto the Greenway and pay less tolls. The toll you pay when you get on in Leesburg is the same you'd pay if you'd bypassed 10 miles of it and got on before the end. (currently that is) So if you have to be on the Greenway at all, just go from Leesburg.

Old 08-24-2011, 08:56 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,525,406 times
7 is not bad west of 28, east of 28 there are lots of stoplights especially in the PM with shopping, NOVA community college, etc. Leesburg is a great place to live if you can find jobs Tysons and further west. I wouldn't recommend it for someone working in DC though.

Old 08-24-2011, 09:19 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,909,661 times
Since you mention traveling 9-5 which is the high traffic time, I would count on at least an hour from Leesburg. RT7 at that time will be a mess esp comming home, the toll rd is your best option esp. since you say you get a 300.00/month stipend.

I would really steer you towards Sterling area, Cascades or Lowes Island, you will cut your commute time by about 20minutes.

Sycolin Road, have they paved the entire thing now? and widen it?
It used to be a 2 lane counrty rd and part of it was not paved and would wash out with the rains...
It was a good short cut from Ashburn to Leesburg to avoid the bumper to bumper on rt7.
Then you get into Ashburn with school zones and neighborhoods etc...
Evergreen Mills to Loudoun county pky was a better road, but its winds etc...so it keeps you moving but really don't think either are a really "fast way" to get south.
BUT the greenway is MUCH faster and better.

Old 08-25-2011, 07:36 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,525,406 times
Sycolin Road is now paved from Leesburg to route 28. It is 2 lanes each way after Belmont Ridge, it only really ties up from around Loudoun County Parkway to 28. If you live in SW/SE Leesburg it's a perfectly fine shortcut. Evergreen Mills might be doable if you're in far SW Leesburg.

Old 09-30-2011, 06:48 AM

Thanks guys, we ended up in an area squeezed between Brambleton and Broadlands, around Beaverdam Res. Wanted Leesburg, but couldn't find anything that wasn't someone else's problem they were trying to get rid of, so we went with new construction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia