Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 06:39 AM

10 posts, read 53,028 times

Advertisements

Hi, My husband just got re-located to the Culpeper area. We have never been to Va- non the less Culpeper. We are a family of four, with two children under the age of 5. I am interested in knowing a bit of the area- school, community, safety, cost of living and the average electric bill, gas and cable. I know its a lot to cover and each household is different but I would love to know to just have an idea. I have been reading a lot on the net about Culpeper and have found that the city/county is having tons of problems regarding illegal folks as well as DUI. Is there realy a problem with such? The illegal immigrants are basically everywhere now a day and really does not concern me as much as reading that there are 2-3 DUIs each day, especially in a small concentrated town like Culpeper. Anyhow, my two cents and would really appreciate some input. Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2007, 09:01 AM

1,059 posts, read 2,965,526 times
You will love Culpeper, a much slower pace than Northern Virginia. You are near the mountains so it will seem like western NC. You can be on Skyline Drive very quickly. There are some newer housing developments there, go to realtor.com for info on the area.

Old 08-24-2007, 02:10 PM

1,489 posts, read 8,802,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by movingfromheretothere View Post
Hi, My husband just got re-located to the Culpeper area. We have never been to Va- non the less Culpeper. We are a family of four, with two children under the age of 5. I am interested in knowing a bit of the area- school, community, safety, cost of living and the average electric bill, gas and cable. I know its a lot to cover and each household is different but I would love to know to just have an idea. I have been reading a lot on the net about Culpeper and have found that the city/county is having tons of problems regarding illegal folks as well as DUI. Is there realy a problem with such? The illegal immigrants are basically everywhere now a day and really does not concern me as much as reading that there are 2-3 DUIs each day, especially in a small concentrated town like Culpeper. Anyhow, my two cents and would really appreciate some input. Thanks a lot.
That area of Virginia and North Carolina are hardly different culturally speaking.

As for illegals, those are a problem everywhere, but I dont think you would have a problem out in those parts. There are quite a few west in the Shenandoah Valley.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:10 PM

1 posts, read 2,738 times
Culpeper is both a county and also a town within the county by the same name. Up until about 6-7 years ago Culpeper was a sleepy little town surrounded by a mostly rural county. Some of its residents commuted to Northern Virginia or nearby areas such as Fredericksburg, Warrenton, or Charlottesville.

Then, all of a sudden, fueled by the rising costs of homes in the Northern Virginia area, a number of well known large builders "discovered" Culpeper. We now have many new subdivisions, mostly within the town limits, and a new high school under construction. From about 2000 to 2005 home prices escalated rapidly, but were still less than the cost of similar homes in Northern Virginia.

About the time that home sales were beginning to slow all around the country, the gas prices also went up. With the increased cost of commuting to Northern Virginia, Culpeper became a less attractive option for the folks who had been moving south.

Right now we're in a buyer's market with about 800 resale homes available in the county and many more being offered by the new home builders. Prices are lower than they were two years ago, and since it's taking longer to sell a home, many sellers are more willining to negotiate with buyers. It's a great time to be a buyer in the Culpeper area, especially if you don't have a home here to sell.

We have a little of everything from townhouses to semi-detached homes on tiny lots to larger homes on half to one-acre lots in and around town. In the county, and in the neighboring counties, you can still find many homes on several acres or small farm/estate properties.

Unless you are looking for a smaller/older home, expect to pay $250,000 and up. A few of the newer subdivisions may have basic homes in the high $200s but most of the new subdivisions in the town are running between $300,000-$400,000. Larger homes are more.

Our downtown has been part of the National Trust for Historic Preservation Main Street program for many years. It contains a number of shops and small businesses that are doing well, and a surprising number of nice restaurants for a town its size. On the north end of town near the town/county border we have recently experienced a burst of commercial activity, bringing us a number of well-known restaurants, a home supply store, several large department and/or discount stores, pet stores, a large office supply store, and much more. It's certainly not a sleepy little town any more.

There's an active parks and recreation department, and the town's most popular park, located next to the downtown area, includes a walking/biking trail and various exercise stations. A big Fourth of July celebration takes place there each year. The new high school complex along Rt. 29 also has an adjacent sports complex with fields for softball/baseball and soccer.

Electric bills vary by provider. We have Virginia Power, Rappahannock Electric Coop, and the Town of Culpeper depending upon where one lives. Gas would vary depending upon if its natural gas service or LP gas. The local cable TV provider is Comcast.

When reading negatives about Culpeper online, keep in mind that the local papers need something to write about and that things that would never make it into a big city paper may seem like "news" here.

Old 08-27-2007, 01:25 PM

Default rosanne

Hi, thank you for all the information you have provided. I will agree that sometimes the papers do add a little more than the norm to make a headline. Leaving that a side, how is the community towards Hispanics or any other race? I am a bit concern being Hispanic myself- thanks.

Old 08-27-2007, 02:04 PM

352 posts, read 1,593,148 times
Culpeper County did recently pass anti-illegal immigrant legislation, following Loudoun and Prince William Counties...I've no reason to believe that Culpeper's is any more harsh than Loudoun and PW. You can read about it here - http://www.fredericksburg.com/News/FLS/2007/082007/08082007/306554. (broken link)

The whole area is undergoing some growing pains with greatly increased - and sometimes not legal - Hispanic populations, and some people are reacting more intelligently than others. It'll pass when the next new shiny news object his the airwaves.

Old 08-27-2007, 08:28 PM

743 posts, read 3,903,528 times
Culpeper has a fairly large hispanic population now. Last year I went by the elementary school accross from the hospital, and there would always be parents signing their kids into school, and the parents couldn't speak english. But the school actually had translators to help out...

Old 08-28-2007, 07:20 AM

Hi, thank you all for your info. I am a tad concerned on discrimination. I have never felt discriminated because of my origin or race- but am aware that there is always a first. My concern lies with my children. Right now, my children are in a wonderful community in where they are welcomed and embrassed for who they are as opposed to their color or last name. It would tear me to introduce them to an environment in where they would feel fear and hatred for something so ignorant and narrow minded like discrimination. Had Culpeper been a larger city/town, this would probably not be one of my biggest concerns but due to its small population size, its become one of my top worries. I have heard of small towns being somewhat racist towards "non" Caucasians and that worries me. Thank you again.

Old 08-28-2007, 10:49 AM

352 posts, read 1,593,148 times
Quote:
Hi, thank you all for your info. I am a tad concerned on discrimination. I have never felt discriminated because of my origin or race- but am aware that there is always a first. My concern lies with my children. Right now, my children are in a wonderful community in where they are welcomed and embrassed for who they are as opposed to their color or last name. It would tear me to introduce them to an environment in where they would feel fear and hatred for something so ignorant and narrow minded like discrimination. Had Culpeper been a larger city/town, this would probably not be one of my biggest concerns but due to its small population size, its become one of my top worries. I have heard of small towns being somewhat racist towards "non" Caucasians and that worries me. Thank you again.
I would, in all earnestness, try to stay as close to Culpeper proper as reasonable - meaning, don't move out to the countryside (even if it still has a "Culpeper" mailing address) as those folk aren't likely to be nearly as accepting as people within the actual town of Culpeper.

Old 09-04-2007, 04:50 PM

555 posts, read 2,704,226 times
Quote:
My community is split between black, white and hispanic (High Point is the community), everyone seems to get along fine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia