Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 12:22 PM

490 posts, read 584,084 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kreutz View Post
Uh,What does DC have? A history as a swamp (the more things change eh?), was the national leader in homicides until rather recently, a layout that makes no sense, and alot of people on welfare and a corresponding deep wealth gap.
As I drive down "Lee Highway" past Bull Run on my way to turning onto "Braddock Rd" where I will head down to make a right on "Rolling Rd" to a job I have time to read this. But I have to hurry because I've got a job down near National Cemetary and then one near Mt. Vernon before I head towards Clinton Md near "Surrattsville". Need I go on???????????
We don't even need to go any further!!!!

Now this has to be the most stupid, uneducated things any person could say who claimed to have completed 8th grade and passed basic US history!

Old 09-18-2011, 12:42 PM

2,776 posts, read 3,595,372 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mph101 View Post
As I drive down "Lee Highway" past Bull Run on my way to turning onto "Braddock Rd" where I will head down to make a right on "Rolling Rd" to a job I have time to read this. But I have to hurry because I've got a job down near National Cemetary and then one near Mt. Vernon before I head towards Clinton Md near "Surrattsville". Need I go on???????????
We don't even need to go any further!!!!

Now this has to be the most stupid, uneducated things any person could say who claimed to have completed 8th grade and passed basic US history!
Re-elected Marion "%&@% Set me Up" Barry didn't ya?

Old 09-18-2011, 12:50 PM

5,125 posts, read 10,091,039 times
Quote:
Re-elected Marion "%&@% Set me Up" Barry didn't ya?
Exactly what political position was Marion Barry elected to in NoVa?

You should take this to the DC forum, where if things follow their typical, vituperous path the thread will get shut down in a few days.

Old 09-18-2011, 02:03 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,888,122 times
Quote:
Uh, I was born around there?

Northen Virginians have the attitude they are superior to the rest of the state; you can see this attitudes in this thread. I am reminding you NoVa-ites you're not as big as you think you are.

You mean the mindset you all have in relation to the rest of the state?

Here's the thing, NYC has a (still!) vibrant economy, WORLD FAMOUS recognition, and the best food in the world. Much history and natural beauty too. All good for a visitor, aye, but the locals have stuff to enjoy while being worked and taxed to death.

What does DC have? A history as a swamp (the more things change eh?), was the national leader in homicides until rather recently, a layout that makes no sense, and alot of people on welfare and a corresponding deep wealth gap.

See? You think you're special because you live in NoVa-you are not, its nothing special, just a zit on the abscess riddled butt of DC.

And you criticize us? We don't advocate secession from the rest of NY state.

You're way off. Take away the FedGov and you have Detroit; there would be blocks of burned out buildings. DC has high crime, high drug abuse rates and no industry or notable private sector employment, so get you get Detroit. And you know it.
This has to be one of the most utterly ridiculous things I've ever read on here - and THAT is a standard difficult to attain. What does DC have? It's one of the most important cities in the world, and only a complete fool would try and argue with that. Is that because the federal government is here? Damn right. And that's nothing to be ashamed of because as capital of the most important country in the world, it rightfully deserves its status. You can decry it all you want but so long as the U.S remains a world superpower, DC will remain an Alpha world city. You extol NYC's virtues of having history and being recognizable around the world. Are you seriously going to argue those two things don't apply to DC?

You can hate DC/NOVA all you want and tell us all why you're glad you don't live here. And I'm sure many on here could give you a laundry list why we're glad we don't live where you live. But that is counter-productive, and the post you responded to was actually a nice call to remind us that Virginians and Americans are one people and we need to stop being so decisive and hateful towards one another.

And you responded with a scathing childish rant completely separated from reality and full of vitriolic rhetoric. I don't spend much time in non-NOVA Virgina, but if your attitude is representative of the rest of the state, then I think NOVA is the more humble and down to Earth part of the state.

Old 09-18-2011, 04:07 PM

14,129 posts, read 31,253,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoomBoxing View Post
This You extol NYC's virtues of having history and being recognizable around the world. Are you seriously going to argue those two things don't apply to DC?
He is right about the food. Although we are getting better in that department. On the other hand, the rest of the state is no culinary mecca.

Old 09-18-2011, 07:49 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,476,088 times
Quote:
Uh, I was born around there?
Glad you didn't say you grew up there as that's something that will have to happen in Roanoke at some point. By the way, overall crime rates are higher in Roanoke than in DC and much higher than in NYC, which is one of the safest large cities in the country. Enjoy...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia