Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Mother`s Day to all Moms!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-15-2011, 07:25 AM

10,125 posts, read 14,008,752 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhenomenalAJ View Post
Why even bring that up? The point of this thread is to celebrate that an electorate in Virginia was progressive enough to elect an openly gay man. If that bothers you, it's more your problem.
And that's my point that I was mentioning. What does his sexual orientation have to do with him doing this job? Knowing his orientation should not even matter.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-15-2011, 07:57 PM

117 posts, read 233,656 times
It's hypocritical on its face to celebrate the guy getting elected if you feel that his sexual orientation shouldn't matter, when you admit that the reason you're celebrating is because of his sexual orientation. Do you not see the paradox in that position?

Old 11-16-2011, 06:40 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,126,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
Right on. Forget global warming. If Democrats were smart they'd have someone ask Republican candidates the evolution question on tape. Once most normal voters heard the answer it would be game over. All of this in Northern Virginia of course.
Thanks for bringing this back to local politics.

Speaking about local politics, I'm not sure I agree with you, although it may be more true in some areas than others. Out here in Loudoun, all we seem to care about is your stance on development and financial issues. Oh, and maybe your opinion about road building and metro lines. I swear, you could give speeches about being a space alien and as long as people liked your attitude towards development (pro or con) they'll vote for you. Surely that's the only way we can explain how Delgaudio keeps getting elected.

Oh, and by the way..... if and when we do elect our first openly space alien politician, I'll probably start a thread about that too.

Old 11-16-2011, 10:26 AM

Now that we're back on topic, anyone have anymore comments about this particular politician, or about local politics?

Also--

while we're on the subject of local politics--anyone know why those ads about Tim Kaine are still running? The election is over. Surely we aren't already seeing ads for the 2012 election.

Last edited by Caladium; 11-16-2011 at 10:44 AM..

Old 11-16-2011, 10:54 AM

2,136 posts, read 5,318,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Now that we're back on topic, anyone have anymore comments about this particular politician, or about local politics?

Also--

while we're on the subject of local politics--anyone know why those ads about Tim Kaine are still running? The election is over. Surely we aren't already seeing ads for the 2012 election.
Yep, they're for 2012. It's going to be a long year.

Old 11-16-2011, 12:36 PM

8,868 posts, read 12,582,878 times
Sharon Bulova won reelection in FFX co handily, as did Penny Gross here in Mason district.

Looks like FFX co voters are on board with the county position on smart growth, and on affordable housing. Either that, or their comfort with the general direction of the county overrode any dissatisfaction on those policies.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:26 PM

206 posts, read 432,954 times
There are two primaries coming up, in March and June, in addition to the November election. There's going to be plenty of campaigning.

Old 11-16-2011, 01:36 PM

<groan> I may never be able to answer my phone again. The political robo calls for this last election got so annoying (not to mention the ads). I was hoping we'd get a break from all the campaigning for at least a few months. Oh well I suppose it's lifeblood for the local newspapers, which is at least one good thing.

Old 11-16-2011, 02:31 PM

206 posts, read 432,954 times
I have Ooma and a Verizon Wireless mobile phone. I never get any unwanted calls. Well, once in a while I get a "Is Shakwanda there?" or whatever, but no telemarketers or political stuff.

Anyway, I do get tons of political junk mail. What I don't understand is why they don't cross-check the addresses where they're sending stuff with the precinct/district boundaries. I get so much stuff about voting for so-and-so when I'm not in so-and-so's district!

Old 11-16-2011, 02:37 PM

267 posts, read 512,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
<groan> I may never be able to answer my phone again. The political robo calls for this last election got so annoying (not to mention the ads). I was hoping we'd get a break from all the campaigning for at least a few months. Oh well I suppose it's lifeblood for the local newspapers, which is at least one good thing.
Time to dump the land line like I did 2 years ago. I've never gotten a robo call on my cell phone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia