Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-25-2011, 03:34 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,264,910 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Yep, Prince William is famous for that. It's how they got the Camaros, Corvette and a couple of rice rockets they use to catch kids with. You'd be surprised at how many people are shocked at getting pulled over by a 'Vette.
Prince William never had "rice rockets" and they didn't use the Vette for traffic. It was assigned to DARE for a long time but never assigned to traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2011, 09:16 AM

382 posts, read 1,035,004 times
I see it this way. We work hard every day. We sit in traffic for at least three hours of the day. Then we work for 8-10 hours. Then we give up a portion of our paychecks to taxes. So that they can write laws to give themselves raises and benefits and other things that we will never be able to give ourselves. I wonder who the fools really are? I think we are. We support them by working. And they for the most part look down on us the people paying their way. Paying their retirement. Paying for their medical insurance. Paying for pretty much every thing they own. We are the fools...

Old 11-25-2011, 06:40 PM

[quote=ejay;21853314]I see it this way. We work hard every day. We sit in traffic for at least three hours of the day. Then we work for 8-10 hours. Then we give up a portion of our paychecks to taxes. So that they can write laws to give themselves raises and benefits and other things that we will never be able to give ourselves. I wonder who the fools really are? I think we are. We support them by working. And they for the most part look down on us the people paying their way. Paying their retirement. Paying for their medical insurance. Paying for pretty much every thing they own. We are the fools...[/quote]

Should actually " I am the fool" Because you really are clueless. The police have no say in the matter on fines and the fines most certainly do not go back to the police. I also kept my medical insurance when I retired and I pay over $1200 a month for this privilege.

Old 11-25-2011, 07:19 PM

373 posts, read 871,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejay View Post
I see it this way. We work hard every day. We sit in traffic for at least three hours of the day. Then we work for 8-10 hours. Then we give up a portion of our paychecks to taxes. So that they can write laws to give themselves raises and benefits and other things that we will never be able to give ourselves. I wonder who the fools really are? I think we are. We support them by working. And they for the most part look down on us the people paying their way. Paying their retirement. Paying for their medical insurance. Paying for pretty much every thing they own. We are the fools...
Did you accidentally post to the wrong topic????? I can't imagine you are talking about the police. It sounds like you are talking about Congress. Although, people saying things like that about Congress is a pet peeve of mine. Most of Congress is already super rich (almost half are millionaires). People can say they shouldn't get paid until they fix this mess, but that won't make a difference. Their pay and health benefits, although large to most people, is just play money for them. Limiting their pay may make people feel good, but it would have almost zero effect on most of them.

Old 11-26-2011, 09:08 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,497,625 times
I once saw this poster a long time ago of a Lamborghini Countach with California Highway Patrol markings and the cop was a big muscle bound blonde guy pulling over a hot blonde chick also in a Lamborghini; I thought it was real

Old 11-28-2011, 11:03 AM

2,266 posts, read 3,724,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
Prince William never had "rice rockets" and they didn't use the Vette for traffic. It was assigned to DARE for a long time but never assigned to traffic.
Then you want to explain how I saw it pull over someone on Minnieville? A 'Vette is hard to miss and I'm pretty sure they only had the one.

Old 11-28-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReblTeen84 View Post
Then you want to explain how I saw it pull over someone on Minnieville? A 'Vette is hard to miss and I'm pretty sure they only had the one.
It was assigned to DARE and other assignments other than traffic. The person driving was still a police officer so they couldn't ignore something that happened in front of them but they weren't assigned to traffic duties and very few traffic stops were made with the car.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:10 AM

534 posts, read 1,172,709 times
Quote:
So that they can write laws to give themselves raises and benefits and other things that we will never be able to give ourselves.
Not sure when you checked last, but public employees aren't "giving themselves raises," don't have the power to, and haven't even gotten any for quite some time. We're not slated to even get a cost of living increase anytime soon.

We pay in one way or another for every benefit we get, usually by accepting a job with very slow salary progression and little or no promotion potential. In a booming economy, when the private sector is robust, no one complains about how we don't make as much as private sector counterparts, don't get bonuses for performance, etc. It's only when the economy sucks that people like you start complaining about how lucrative the public sector is and how much better we have it than everyone else.

Going back to the cost of police vehicles - even the standard, V-8 sedans are not cheap. Not when they have to be run 24/7. If a police department was buying an entire fleet of souped-up Mustangs, I'd be wondering. But buying a couple to keep up with speeders, some of whom drive some pretty fast cars and WILL try to outrun you is not a huge stretch.

Also, a lot of agencies will buy vehicles that will not be conspicuous in the areas where the people who get them will be working, and not always for speed enforcement. Kinda hard to do surveillance from a Caprice or a Ford Police Interceptor... I drive an unmarked pickup truck for that reason.

Old 11-29-2011, 09:18 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,737,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigfoot424 View Post
It was assigned to DARE and other assignments other than traffic.
DARE to keep 65-year-old men off golf!

Seriously, a Corvette to appeal to kids? Maybe they should have used it for speed enforcement.

Old 11-29-2011, 11:42 AM

518 posts, read 926,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carlingtonian View Post
DARE to keep 65-year-old men off golf!

Seriously, a Corvette to appeal to kids? Maybe they should have used it for speed enforcement.
In the series of Transformers movies Bumblebee was a yellow Corvette. There lots of instances in children's toys where Corvettes are used directly or are the primary basis for the toy model.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia