Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2011, 02:45 PM

505 posts, read 767,665 times

Advertisements

You should always have a financing contingency. Often it is the last one to get cleared since these days lenders often don't get to final approval of the loan until a day or two before closing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2011, 04:11 PM

1,059 posts, read 2,971,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblingMan View Post
vauser,
I'm not sure where you're going with this. If a loan doesn't go through, it isn't normally a big deal --unless you don't have a loan contingency. If that is the case, you face losing your earnest money.

Even if you're getting a rebate, your agent is supposed to help you understand the process and make sure that you're interests are represented. If I were you, I'd ask my agent for help to find financing. If having the second W2 is really a problem, maybe your agent can also help you negotiate having the closing date pushed back. (Why is the date "approximate?" It should be spelled out in your contract). If you can't get financing, there might be other contingencies in your contract that can give you an opportunity to get out without losing your earnest money, but you and your agent will have to discuss those.
I am not sure where he/she is going with this either. It appears that the home is under construction with an approximate closing date of May, 2012 and a contract has already been ratified. If financing is not approved when it comes time for settlement the deposit is lost if there is no financing contingency, and vauser says there is none. We are wasting time advising there should be a financing contingency when the contract is already ratified and does not have a financing contingency. That horse has left the barn.

The best bet is to use the time remaining to find a lender that will work with you. As a self employed person you will need 2 years tax returns (which you will have). If you are in the same line of work this is a plus. You should also be able to show income to date from January 2012 to May 202 that is consistent with 2011 income. I am assuming your credit is good. You have plenty of time to find a lender, check with the bank you are currently using for your personal accounts.

The best time to figure how to get out of a contract is before you sign the contract, not after it is ratified.

Old 11-23-2011, 02:10 PM

424 posts, read 1,483,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Margery View Post
I am not sure where he/she is going with this either. It appears that the home is under construction with an approximate closing date of May, 2012 and a contract has already been ratified. If financing is not approved when it comes time for settlement the deposit is lost if there is no financing contingency, and vauser says there is none. We are wasting time advising there should be a financing contingency when the contract is already ratified and does not have a financing contingency. That horse has left the barn.

The best bet is to use the time remaining to find a lender that will work with you. As a self employed person you will need 2 years tax returns (which you will have). If you are in the same line of work this is a plus. You should also be able to show income to date from January 2012 to May 202 that is consistent with 2011 income. I am assuming your credit is good. You have plenty of time to find a lender, check with the bank you are currently using for your personal accounts.

The best time to figure how to get out of a contract is before you sign the contract, not after it is ratified.
There is no ratified contract yet (I don't remember mentioning it anywhere). Which is why I have 3 days (now, 1 left) before which I need to make a decision or pull the plug and withdraw the contract. So, there is still time!

Old 11-24-2011, 08:34 PM

2,737 posts, read 5,473,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vauser View Post
There is no ratified contract yet (I don't remember mentioning it anywhere). Which is why I have 3 days (now, 1 left) before which I need to make a decision or pull the plug and withdraw the contract. So, there is still time!
I think several of us were confused by this part of your original post:

"but since my contract is NOT contingent on financing"

That phrase implies that you do have a contract and you did not put a financing contingency in it.

Do you mean that you have submitted an offer (without a contingency) but that you are still in your 3 day rescission period? If so, I think everyone here is urging you to withdraw it if you failed to put an obtaining-financing (not obtaining pre-approval, or something else that could fall through) contingency in it. You can resubmit it with the contingency.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia