Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 07:47 AM

5,125 posts, read 10,090,101 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
My view isn't one-sided at all. Quite the contrary, I seem to shock people by suggesting that they think for themselves and take care to venture outside the box of mainstream, mass-marketed thinking and expectation.
I don't see any of your observations on this topic as particularly novel; they simply represent one perspective, which many others share, conveyed with an unusual degree of bravado, abruptness and certainty in its correctness.

The issue raised by the OP was whether continued migration to the area would strain infrastructure if not matched by others leaving the area. At the end of the day, the market will sort much of this out. Many retirees choose to remain in the area for all the reasons you mentioned, but if the area becomes prohibitively expensive for them, more will cash out and retire in other places with a lower cost of living. Of course, in determining whether other places actually have a lower cost of living, they need to factor in many other expenses besides housing, and they surely ought to weigh carefully the significance that they ascribe to local amenities that may not be available elsewhere and candidly assess their own ability to tolerate or embrace change.

At least in this area, I think it's actually quite rare for people to rush off to places like Florida (which personally would not be among my top choices) without having given the matter a great deal of thought in advance. However, some people certainly may conclude that they are willing to trade the Corcoran, Udvar-Hazy and the Arlington Cemetary for less traffic, views of the mountains or ocean, a bit more solitude and/or peer groups that are less career-oriented.

Last edited by JD984; 12-01-2011 at 08:16 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 08:40 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,404,942 times
Quote:
My view isn't one-sided at all. Quite the contrary, I seem to shock people by suggesting that they think for themselves and take care to venture outside the box of mainstream, mass-marketed thinking and expectation.
Strange that a person who has lived in NoVA since 1969 (and cannot imagine anyone choosing to retire/move to a different region) considers residents remaining in NoVA/DC until they die as venturing "outside the box of mainstream, mass-marketed thinking and expectation."

Old 12-01-2011, 09:17 AM

855 posts, read 1,173,101 times
Quote:

You made that up. But still, what is Florida's equivalent of the Smithsonian? The Kennedy Center? The Library of Congress? The National Gallery? The Phillips Collection? The Folger Theater? NSO? The Washington Ballet? The Arboretum? Arlington Cemetery? Mt Vernon? Bull Run? Udvar-Hazy? Great Falls? The Old Rag? Shenandoah tubing and whitewater? Ski Liberty? Skyline Drive? Luray Caverns? The Inn at Little Washington? Et cetera?

How is that made up? Have you stopped to consider that what YOU find culturally stimulating doesn't apply to everyone else? I've gone to pretty much each of the places you've mentioned a handful of times, but those aren't necessarily sticking points for ME, so I wouldn't miss them enough for them to determine where I retire.

Personally, if I could retire now, I'd prefer Charleston, SC for its southern hospitality, THE FOOD (omg), and the history that you just feel in your bones-- ya know, its culture After visiting friends and taking trips there over the years, I find plenty of things to do. IF...I ever missed DC, I could always take a vacation and come back to visit, since it isn't that far a drive (and visit some nice NC wineries along the way).

Old 12-01-2011, 09:27 AM

1,225 posts, read 2,420,379 times
If I have to see one more "moving to nova" thread i will probably scream. Then again you dont seem many posters stating "leaving nova" or at least i dont see it. I think there is a big imbalance...As far as the retiring thing goes many probably dont move somewhere else as the weather here is generally nice, as long as you can afford it.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:41 AM

19,198 posts, read 31,473,857 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEB77 View Post
I don't see any of your observations on this topic as particularly novel...
I am not claiming to have invented anything. I am not applying for a patent or a copyright. I am encouraging people to take a step back from their perhaps long-time dreams and images of what retirement should be and see it instead as a complex issue, the timing and details of which deserve more than what data on post-retirement satisfaction suggest is often enough the case.

Quote:
...they simply represent one perspective, which many share, conveyed with an unusual degree of bravado and certainty in its correctness.
Would you suggest that when contemplating relocation, people (especially longer-term residents) NOT think about the value of their networks and life experience in this area? That they NOT consider moving a few towns over rather than a few states over in looking to stretch a retirement budget? Do you claim that there are NOT unfortunately high numbers of people who retire and end up feeling stuck, bored, lonely, or like a fish out of water as the result? Do you know of any actual place that is "just like here" except for having better weather, nicer golf courses, less traffic, and lower housing prices? Do you feel it is a great time to retire to Florida simply because real estate prices there have crashed? Do you claim that Florida's state and local tax burdens are NOT slightly higher than Virginia's? Over just which of these notions should more caution as to correctness have been shown?

Quote:
The issue raised by the OP was whether continued migration to the area would strain infrastructure if not matched by others leaving the area.
See Post #2.

Quote:
At the end of the day, the market will sort much of this out. Many retirees choose to remain in the area for all the reasons you mentioned, but if the area becomes prohibitively expensive for them, more will cash out and retire in other places with a lower cost of living. Of course, in determining whether other places actually have a lower cost of living, they need to factor in many other expenses besides housing, and they surely ought to weigh carefully the significance that they ascribe to local amenities that may not be available elsewhere. Some people may conclude that they are willing to trade the Corcoran, Udvar-Hazy and the Arlington Cemetary for less traffic and/or views of the mountains or water.
There is no such things as groups of people. There are only individuals whose actions are later grouped together by statisticians in order to make everything that's going on a little easier to understand. Individuals are the ones who retire and the ones who either do or do not take care to weigh all of the actually pertinent factors carefully. If it is such careful consideration by individuals that you wish to encourage, why not simply type "I agree."?

Quote:
At least in this area, I think it's actually quite rare for people to rush off to places like Florida (which I will admit is personally among the last places I'd consider) without having given the matter a great deal of thought in advance.
I cited some OPM data earlier. Your impressions notwithstanding, these and other research suggest that people in significant numbers are not thinking things through well or honestly enough. Don't become one of those.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
Strange that a person who has lived in NoVA since 1969 (and cannot imagine anyone choosing to retire/move to a different region)...
What??? I can easily imagine it, having by now seen many elder and even some younger peers do exactly that, some happily and sadly some not so happily. I can easily imagine myself doing it as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fern435 View Post
...considers residents remaining in NoVA/DC until they die as venturing "outside the box of mainstream, mass-marketed thinking and expectation."
Do you consider staying put to be the mainstream, mass-marketed stereotype of retirement? Do a lot of mid-career types come up to you and proclaim that, by gosh, once they can retire, they're finally going to get that little place in Annandale?

Old 12-01-2011, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chariega View Post
How is that made up?
Because I never said that "culture and well to do people can't exist anywhere else" or anything remotely resembling that. You made it up.

Quote:
Have you stopped to consider that what YOU find culturally stimulating doesn't apply to everyone else? I've gone to pretty much each of the places you've mentioned a handful of times...
Really? I've lived here a long time, and I don't think I've ever been to half of them. Another of the interesting things about this area -- it's really hard to see and do everything there is to see and do here.

Quote:
Personally, if I could retire now, I'd prefer Charleston, SC for its southern hospitality, THE FOOD (omg), and the history that you just feel in your bones-- ya know, its culture After visiting friends and taking trips there over the years, I find plenty of things to do. IF...I ever missed DC, I could always take a vacation and come back to visit, since it isn't that far a drive (and visit some nice NC wineries along the way).
That's great. When the time comes, I hope you are able to prove yourself right. But I'd still think back on this thread if I were you, and take a long, cold, hard look before I made that leap. DC is a 535-mile drive from Charleston, by the way. Perhaps it'll seem less in the cars of the future.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:28 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
PS. I've been to Stuckey's, Sea World, and McKee Jungle Gardens.
I lived in Jacksonville FL for 3 years. I didnt like it much. At the time, and I suspect its still true, Miami had more high culture, more diversity and more urban excitement than anywhere else in FL. Had I been in Miami and not Jax, I might have been less eager to move back north (the jewish community of course was also a concern for me). Now IIUC ONE reason some folks have retired to Orlando, Daytona, Jax, etc rather than Miami is that greater Miami is more expensive. with current relatively high RE prices in NoVa, and relatively low RE prices in Florida, it might be possible for someone keen on moving to Florida who likes Miami, to manage to afford a place there, while in normal times she might have to move to somewhere less sophisticated.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:30 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,560,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
If I have to see one more "moving to nova" thread i will probably scream. Then again you dont seem many posters stating "leaving nova" or at least i dont see it. I think there is a big imbalance...As far as the retiring thing goes many probably dont move somewhere else as the weather here is generally nice, as long as you can afford it.

you're more likely to find "leaving NoVa" threads on other forums, where people ask about the place they are moving to. Most people start threads on CD to get practical info, not to announce their departure.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:32 AM

2,498 posts, read 3,404,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novadhd5150 View Post
How about one more thread about "where to live with a 30-minute commute to DC, great schools, Metro access, and a walkable, charming small-town atmosphere for under $500,000" ?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia