Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 09:26 AM

477 posts, read 737,086 times

Advertisements

Sorry..I know this is a financial question, since at least 2 of the 3 banks in question are local to VA, I thought this thread is apt here.

OK..I would like to move my account away from Citibank to a credit union.

I already have an account with Northwest federal credit union. The only benefit of citi is their Bill pay. Most of the billers are paid electronically..so I just set the date and money it gets deducted overnight.

NWFCU also has bill pay but it is not electronic and not as extensive as Citi.

I would like to know if anyone have used NWFCU or Navy federal for their regular online bill payments. (Also I am not sure if I can open an account with Navy federal, I used their online wizard and none of the categories apply to me)

Is there a better credit union that his hi-tech in this region?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2011, 09:30 AM

oh..well..I just noticed on NWFCU that they are about to introduce new account management, bill pay options in 2012.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:34 AM

9,779 posts, read 15,797,090 times
Navy Federal is the largest credit union in the world. They have low fees and lots of good services. Their main headquarters is in Vienna, Virginia. We are members and are generally very happy there. You can use ATMs at any 7-11. I don't use Navy for online bill payment, but I'm guessing it's available. I do have other automated-type things set up. We have direct deposit there. We have money taken out from one account and put into another on a monthly basis. We also have it linked to my regular bank so that I can electronically transfer money between the two.

As far as becoming a member, you will need to find a family member that served in the military or worked for DoD. They would need to join. Once they join, then their family members can join. Once a member, always a member. We got in based on my husband's former relative. Once we were in, my parents joined and my siblings joined.

My only beef with them is that it can be somewhat impersonal and large. Recently, I applied for a loan, and it took several days to be assigned a processor. And then when I would call I would ALWAYS get a voice mail. And they have 24 hours to return calls. I know they are backed up with interest rates so low, but it's been a bit frustrating.

Other that that, I really like them. They have competitive rates and low fees.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
Navy Federal is the largest credit union in the world. They have low fees and lots of good services. Their main headquarters is in Vienna, Virginia. We are members and are generally very happy there. You can use ATMs at any 7-11. I don't use Navy for online bill payment, but I'm guessing it's available. I do have other automated-type things set up. We have direct deposit there. We have money taken out from one account and put into another on a monthly basis. We also have it linked to my regular bank so that I can electronically transfer money between the two.

As far as becoming a member, you will need to find a family member that served in the military or worked for DoD. They would need to join. Once they join, then their family members can join. Once a member, always a member. We got in based on my husband's former relative. Once we were in, my parents joined and my siblings joined.

My only beef with them is that it can be somewhat impersonal and large. Recently, I applied for a loan, and it took several days to be assigned a processor. And then when I would call I would ALWAYS get a voice mail. And they have 24 hours to return calls. I know they are backed up with interest rates so low, but it's been a bit frustrating.

Other that that, I really like them. They have competitive rates and low fees.
Thanks for the feedback.

I am not sure if we have anyone in the family roots served in military or navy. I will ask my wife and see if she knows any.

Old 12-01-2011, 09:50 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,922 times
I was going to suggest USAA, but if you lack any military connection that won't help. They have great online bill pay options and such though.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:02 AM

810 posts, read 1,025,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechRider View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

I am not sure if we have anyone in the family roots served in military or navy. I will ask my wife and see if she knows any.
Civilians (and their relatives) can get Navy Federal too, just FYI.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:21 AM

OK..I did not see that anywhere on their site.. Probably I will give a call.

Thanks for letting me know

Old 12-01-2011, 04:57 PM

4,709 posts, read 12,679,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
I was going to suggest USAA, but if you lack any military connection that won't help. They have great online bill pay options and such though.
My understanding is anyone can use USAA banking services. You need the military connection to buy insurance from them.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:11 PM

628 posts, read 1,934,264 times
There are Apple Credit Unions in the area, but I have no idea what the membership criteria are.

Old 12-01-2011, 05:14 PM

199 posts, read 672,715 times
I use NavyFederal's online bill pay. It really doesn't matter how the billers are paid. If they accept ACH payments, then the funds are transferred to them electronically. If not, NavyFed prints a check and mails it to them. There is no difference to you. If your biller can send bills electronically, you can even set it up to pay the bill, whatever the amount, on the due date specified on the bill.

NavyFed isn't as high tech as USAA, since USAA allows you to deposit checks via your smartphone, but they are making strides. You can now deposit checks via your scanner.

Another option is Pentagon Federal Credit Union. Anyone can join. If you don't have eligibility through a family member or work, you can join an organization for like $15 and join that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia