Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2011, 09:30 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,260,509 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
$60k is quite reasonable for the computer field (depending what you're doing and who your employer is). Are those $70k salaries base salary, or do they include hiring bonuses? When I got my first job at a consulting firm in 2007, most all the offers included $5-8k of "signing bonus" money, but it wasn't a part of your salary after that first year.
But you may get a bonus like that every year anyway, depending how the company's doing.

There are a lot of less technical roles that can pay that kind of money in the IT world, like quality, project, and people management, or documentation/training development. There's a lot more to IT than just system administration or applications development work.

Last edited by CAVA1990; 12-03-2011 at 09:47 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2011, 09:54 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAVA1990 View Post
But you may get a bonus like that every year anyway, depending how the company's doing.

There are a lot of less technical roles that can pay that kind of money in the IT world, like quality, project, and people management, or documentation/training development. There's a lot more to IT than just system administration or applications development work.
Right, but what I was trying to get at is that his base salary may be the same as his friends' base salaries, theirs just has a bonus included. Maybe after year 1 everyone or no one or some get bonuses to even it out.

Old 12-04-2011, 05:30 PM

221 posts, read 438,545 times
55-60k for a first job with a bachelors degree in a technical field (engineering, computer technology or business/finance) is normal for the NOVA/Tysons Corner area. And if it's a large company like Freddie Mac, Booz Allen, KPMG, Deloitte, Navy Federal, Accenture, Fannie Mae, Northrop Grumman, etc. it will typically include a matching around 6% for the 401k and include a 1-5k annual bonus pre-tax. you're good. but wait until you find out what your coworkers are making. then after a year or 2 you'll go somewhere else and be able to negotiate a 10-15% in pay.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:09 AM

271 posts, read 446,942 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stp_fan View Post
55-60k for a first job with a bachelors degree in a technical field (engineering, computer technology or business/finance) is normal for the NOVA/Tysons Corner area. And if it's a large company like Freddie Mac, Booz Allen, KPMG, Deloitte, Navy Federal, Accenture, Fannie Mae, Northrop Grumman, etc. it will typically include a matching around 6% for the 401k and include a 1-5k annual bonus pre-tax. you're good. but wait until you find out what your coworkers are making. then after a year or 2 you'll go somewhere else and be able to negotiate a 10-15% in pay.

Couldn't agree more.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:01 AM

55 posts, read 144,811 times
Thanks guys, unfortunately I just found out there is no signing bonus. I was thinking if I get another offer from another company I'm suppose to hear from this week(2nd choice) and it's higher (say $65,000) , I should call back and say "I got an offer for $65,000, if I can start at that salary I will accept the job" I guess the worse that that can happen is that they say they can't match that.

It's not like they are going to reject me on the spot. Someone told me that employers often try to get their candidates for the cheapest possible salary they will accept within a certain range?

I'm also trying to look at other things like healthcare and 401K matching ect. I'm new at all this so I could use any advice in this area too. I heard a good 401k match is around 5%-6%?

My 2nd choice company would have free health care where as my first choice takes it out of my pay check. But my first choice company may help me get a security clearance(good if I want to switch jobs). However I haven't officially got an offer from my 2nd choice company. I have a week to decide.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:28 AM

4,489 posts, read 10,948,267 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaz0426 View Post
I'm also trying to look at other things like healthcare and 401K matching ect. I'm new at all this so I could use any advice in this area too. I heard a good 401k match is around 5%-6%?
That would be a fantastic 401k match. My company matched $.50 on the dollar up to 6% (so for my 6%, they gave me 3%). My husband was matched dollar for dollar up to 3%.

Old 12-05-2011, 10:32 AM

4,437 posts, read 8,134,874 times
Don't let the free healthcare sway your decision, that could easily be changed. I had that with my last job and after 2 years they had to change it because costs had skyrocketed. I'd take a clearance over the free healthcare personally.

5-6% matching is fantastic. A lot of companies have whittled it down to 3% or axed matching all together.

Old 12-05-2011, 02:41 PM

2,266 posts, read 3,718,143 times
Depends on what you're doing. I got hired straight out of college into a help desk in 2006 making $37K. I ended it after 5 years making about $49K and went into a job making $70K doing site support (no benefits though, W2 contractor). Didn't need the benefits since we get insurance and whatnot through the wifes job (teacher). Starting out at 60 is nothing to scoff at.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:12 PM

837 posts, read 1,798,856 times
I dont work in your field but my advice is this: Take the job that sets you up better for the next job. Security clearance, I would imagine, is basically a rubber stamp that ensures you (1) more job security (no pun intended) and (2) a nice raise (either at your current firm or somewhere else). And feel free to negotiate, but rather than call say and "They offered $65,000, if i can start" say something like: "I have another offer at $65K and while I appreciate the offer you've made, I wanted to see if perhaps you had some flexibility in your base salary. I also want to reiterate that you are my top choice and I've had an extraordinarily positive experience in all my interactions with individuals there -- in short, I would be thrilled to join the firm. As you no doubt appreciate, the cost of living in DC gives me pause however. Do you think we can work something out?" (Translation: be positive, upbeat and remind them you want to work there rather than just saying give me $65K and we got a deal).

As for 401k, I get a 7.5% 401K match, but thats extraordinary, I'd say to expect 3% at most places... As for healthcare, dont worry about it now - employee only coverage should be relatively cheap, and its hardly a reason to pick a firm. Also, go to linkedin, find the company page for both these firms - from there you will see "recent hires" and "recent departures". See where people are going from similar jobs to yours. If one clearly lands people at Deloitte, KMPG, etc and the other isn't, I'd vote the one that sends people into consulting if long-term $$$ is your goal (my two cents).

Basically, look past the $$$ at this point and figure out which job will be (a) more interesting (b) offers more responsibility (c) provides better exit opportunities.

Old 12-05-2011, 04:14 PM

55 posts, read 144,811 times
I meant 6% was the best that a lot of companies offer but the company I'm considering says this on their benefits package "

"100% match on the first 3% deferred and 50% match on deferrals between 3% and 5% for a total possible match of 4%. Max deferal is $16,500. "

The second company who's offer I got today offered me $58,000 but a bonus of $5000 after my first year "depending on employee and company performance"

but they have free health care and dental, however they don't have 401k matching

This is a hard decsion. I was hoping the 2nd offer would be higher (since I let them know my first offer was $60,000)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia