Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-04-2011, 06:15 AM

4,041 posts, read 4,956,338 times

Advertisements

Anyone live in or around Purcellville and commute to McLean (around Tyson's 1 - Spring Hill Rd/Greensboro Rd). How long does it take you? What time do you leave? What roads do you take? I know there's only a couple of options for the most part. I used to work in McLean (97-00) so it's been awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2011, 06:19 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
I'm not sure how long it would take, but that strikes me as a horrid commute. I knew someone who drove from Purcellville to Reston and felt that was godawful, and then you'd have to add that congested 7-mile stretch through construction to go from Reston to McLean.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:43 AM

My current office is in Reston and it's not that bad. I'm the very 1st stop off the toll road. Even going 7 isn't to bad.

I figure I could go through Great Falls and go in the back way instead of going all the way down Rte 7 into Tysons. Though I bet alot of people are doing that.

Old 12-04-2011, 06:48 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Are you talking about Georgetown Pike? Last time I tried it during rush hour it was backed up pretty badly at Great Falls and also where it meets 7. It's not bad if you're driving in the middle of the day. You'd probably be better off taking 7 or 267. If you're doing the commute to Reston already and don't mind it, then I take back my former reply. Sounds like you could handle it. I know I couldn't but what can I say, I'm a wimp!

Old 12-04-2011, 07:32 AM

I used to commute from Sterling to Bethesda so I'm used to the back up on Georgetown Pike. I also worked in and around the McLean/Tyson's area for a few years so I know how bad the traffic gets especially at Christmas time. Though I have heard that the construction just messes it up more. Just looking for an average commute time from someone that does it everyday.

Old 12-05-2011, 08:37 AM

414 posts, read 906,934 times
We live in Purcellville and my partner commutes into Tysons (jones branch rd.) 4 days per week. Not a bad commute at all. In fact it is the same length, sometimes shorter, and costs less than the commute from Old Town Alexandria. Its about 1 hour and costs $3.00 each way. Fortunately he can telework at least 1 day per week on Fridays. The commute from Old Town Alexandria was 2 buses, and 2 different metro trains (transfer), at a cost of about $14.00 each day.

He takes the Tysons Express "Wifi" bus from the commuter lot in Hamilton. For him he hated the commute from Old Town, and loves this one. Now I suppose it might be about the same if he were driving in each day, and I doubt he would "love it".

Old 12-05-2011, 08:52 AM

3,041 posts, read 11,883,491 times
Driving at about 6am and taking the toll $$$ (what is it now about $8?) But it would be just under an hour. Rt 7 at 6am would be just about an hour maybe a bit over. If you leave around 7-7:30 traffic will get real bad on 7 and the toll get a bit back-up but nothing like rt7.
The commute home will be worse, always is. But if you leave before 5pm not too bad. same as around 7pm.
(hubby did it from Leesburg for 2 years. ) left by 6am in morning andthen left office around 7pm...it was a drain, he did carpool with a co-worker though and that guy took the (toll 45min).

The bus sounds like a great option if it works for you, unfortunatley it did not for my husband

Old 12-05-2011, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by United_Caps_Skins_Fan View Post
We live in Purcellville and my partner commutes into Tysons (jones branch rd.) 4 days per week. Not a bad commute at all. In fact it is the same length, sometimes shorter, and costs less than the commute from Old Town Alexandria. Its about 1 hour and costs $3.00 each way. Fortunately he can telework at least 1 day per week on Fridays. The commute from Old Town Alexandria was 2 buses, and 2 different metro trains (transfer), at a cost of about $14.00 each day.

He takes the Tysons Express "Wifi" bus from the commuter lot in Hamilton. For him he hated the commute from Old Town, and loves this one. Now I suppose it might be about the same if he were driving in each day, and I doubt he would "love it".
I didn't know they had a bus that went into Tyson's. Where does it drop you in Tyson's? I would be around the Spring Hill/Greensboro drive area. What time does it leave? What time do you have to be on it to return in the evening?

Old 12-05-2011, 01:00 PM

414 posts, read 906,934 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riley09swb View Post
I didn't know they had a bus that went into Tyson's. Where does it drop you in Tyson's? I would be around the Spring Hill/Greensboro drive area. What time does it leave? What time do you have to be on it to return in the evening?
All the information you want / need can be found here: Information on Express Bus Service from Loudoun to Tysons Corner (http://www.loudoun.gov/Default.aspx?tabid=3061 - broken link)

There are 5 stops along Greensboro Drive area, and the very last one is at the Spring Hill / Greensboro Drive area. In the morning the first bus out of the Harmony (Hamilton) commuter lot is 5:38am, and the last is 7:16am.

In the afternoon out of Tysons the first bus out (from Spring Hill / Greensboro Drive) is at 5:30pm, and the last is at 7:00pm. Keep in mind these are the buses that come all the way out to the Harmony (Hamilton) commuter lot. There are other Tysons Express buses, but they all STOP at Leesburg Executive Airport (Sycolin Rd).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia