Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2011, 01:26 PM

26,700 posts, read 41,718,665 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
It's always tough moving to a new area, and I think now matter how good a place is, it's never home. I'm pretty sure I could live here in NoVA for 20 years, and still love southern California more and get nostalgic for elements of "home".

It will get easier. Adjusting to med school, a new city, and new people all at once is bound to be difficult.
I agree. The only thing to remedy homesickness is time. I'm trying to tell a guy this who moved from NoVA to Ft. Worth a few months ago and is trying to come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-05-2011, 03:20 PM

906 posts, read 1,809,786 times
I'd start by making a plan to get where I want to be. If you can't transfer to a school in VA, how long until you graduate med school? Then do you have a choice about where to practice medicine? Can you travel home on breaks? Summer break?

Old 12-05-2011, 08:02 PM

18 posts, read 36,478 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
I'd start by making a plan to get where I want to be. If you can't transfer to a school in VA, how long until you graduate med school? Then do you have a choice about where to practice medicine? Can you travel home on breaks? Summer break?
I think breaks are the only time I'll have to come home. Probably at 1 week intervals. I might have to do more shadowing and research during the summer, so I'll be stuck in KC. I guess the next time I'll be able to spend an extended amount of time in NOVA is during 4th year, when I have elective rotations. I'll probably have to meet some physicians when I come back for visits so that I can ask them to help me out my 4th year. But at the end of the day, its all a crap shoot really. Residencies aren't available in every location, and NOVA has some pretty competitive and popular ones. But like everyone said, I'm young...who knows where I'll end up in 7-10 years (average to complete school+residency). Guess I have to suck it up. Back to studying, if all goes well, which means no remediation, I'll hopefully be back in NOVA in about a week for winter break.

Old 12-06-2011, 03:26 PM

1,783 posts, read 3,886,287 times
You really dislike KC that much? I haven't spent a ton of time there but it seems like a nice enough city to keep most people occupied.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:06 PM

8,983 posts, read 21,156,915 times
I've spent a bit of time in KC and while it's more spread out compared to NOVA/DC, I do recall Country Club Plaza being bigger than "2 blocks" (unless, of course, you're purposely exaggerating). I also hear that Westport is pretty lively as well.

Nonethless, I can remember moving away for the first time and gaining a new appreciation for home. It seems like you're experiencing an even more radical change than I did. Hopefully, you will get a chance to relax and learn more about KC.

Old 12-06-2011, 04:21 PM

35,879 posts, read 77,448,814 times
What are you doing for housing? That could be part of the problem right there. Do you have a car? Spend time on Country Club Plaza.

The Kansas City Jazz Orchestra- "Christmas with Kevin Mahogany" : VisitKC.com Official Travel Source

Have you checked out the KCP&L district? I can't believe you wouldn't be impressed w/ that area. Of course, this isn't the best time of year to enjoy KCMO but I loved it there in the winter. Spend time at the Nelson.

Get involved in some local events . . . there are all types of festivals.

This Weekend in Kansas City : VisitKC.com Official Travel Source

KCMO is very diverse. check out Westport.

Here's a free museum: Bruce R. Watkins Cultural Heritage Center : VisitKC.com Official Travel Source

American Jazz Museum : VisitKC.com Official Travel Source

I agree w/ others who say making some friends will make all the difference. I know your schedule is probably tight, but volunteering in the medical or behavioral health community would put you in contact with folks immediately.

Old 12-06-2011, 07:14 PM

117 posts, read 233,201 times
I moved 1,000 miles away from home to go to graduate school nearly 20 years ago. One thing that I discovered was that over the first couple of years I began to think of the city where I attended school as 'home' and my actual home as a place to visit family and old friends. I never was homesick the way you seem to be, but it was an adjustment living in a place that was culturally very different than what I had been used to up to that point. Time takes care of it. As others have said, focus on your studies and on making a few good friends and soon enough your longing for home is likely to be a thing of the past.

Old 12-27-2011, 11:41 AM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
fudgesicko,

KC is not that bad. The city is not all that different than any large city. It's just in the middle of nowhere. Fact is that KC has more going on that many cities. Take Baltimore for example. About the same size, but KC has a lot more to do and see. Baltimore is in the middle of the Northeast corridor and connected at the hip with DC, but when you just compare KC to Baltimore, there is more to do in KC.

I'm sort of stuck in the DC area and while it has tons to do, it can be difficult at times to be so far from friends and family and DC can be a real pain in the ass and expensive to even take advantage of the things it does offer vs a smaller city like KC.

PM me if you would like and I can give you some pointers about KC. But you got to first want to try to enjoy your time away from home. If you can't keep yourself occupied in a regional city of 2.2 million people, there are not many places you could go away from home. Just saying.

By the way, KC is a much more active place in the spring to fall months when attractions are open, festivals are going on, entertainment districts are more lively etc and much prettier as everything greens up and the sky is blue again (like most midwest cities).

Old 12-27-2011, 02:16 PM

906 posts, read 1,809,786 times
I'm really amazed at how much people tolerate midwest cities. 80% of the year it's painful to be outside, due to wind, cold, and heat, plus the nuclear fallout brightness of the sun. In a free and mobile culture, with paradises like California, Oregon, and Virginia, why do people tolerate the midwest? To me, it's no surprise the OP doesn't like it.

Old 12-27-2011, 02:22 PM

11,108 posts, read 23,871,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainMen View Post
I'm really amazed at how much people tolerate midwest cities. 80% of the year it's painful to be outside, due to wind, cold, and heat, plus the nuclear fallout brightness of the sun. In a free and mobile culture, with paradises like California, Oregon, and Virginia, why do people tolerate the midwest? To me, it's no surprise the OP doesn't like it.
Moved from Missouri to Maryland (been here a few years now) and frankly most of the time I can't tell the difference when it comes to seasons, weather, wind, humidity etc. At least when it snows an inch , it doens't add 4 hours to your commute in Missouri
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia