Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2011, 08:36 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by meatkins View Post
Clinton is actually not that bad as far as safety, and the only areas near Clinton are Brandywine, Upper Marlboro, Accokeek, and parts of Temple Hills.
My comment refers to areas outside of Clinton, further out. The main artery to Clinton is Branch Avenue. Branch Avenue connects to Suitland to the north-east. Although the U.S. Census, NMAI, and other newish structures are there, it is transitional and some of those neighborhoods, may I avoid "ghetto"--are "shady". To the south and closer to DC is Hillcrest Heights which borders Southeast DC. Some of those neighborhoods are extremely shady. I was in SE DC the other day and some it was very nice; in other parts, it's car-jacking territory.

If the OP plans to stay in her house or just drive back and forth to Andrews AFB, then she and her family won't encounter any of this. However, as a new person in the area, I doubt if those are her plans. All of these areas are between Clinton, MD and DC so if the OP plans to tour/visit DC, then she could easily get lost and drive into these neighborhoods. Anyone who has lived around the District knows how horrid and confusing the street systems are. For example, you can enter PA Avenue extended (that leads to Branch Ave) one way but can't get back out the same way. This is repeated in many of those streets/highways. The areas I mentioned above lie between the beltway and 295 which leads north and south to 95 so if the OP were on 95 and takes the wrong exit, she could end up in these neighborhoods. Furthermore, there is a tremendous amount of road construction in that area which makes it even more confusing to a new person (or even those of us who have lived here awhile).

Quote:
The part of Temple Hills that surrounds Clinton is very quiet. The rest of those places are decent place but they just don't have good schools.
So this really is not a good suggestion since the OP as she has requested good/decent schools.

Quote:
I'm sorry that's just an ignorant comment. . . .
Quote:
There are some parts of Clinton that aren't that great, but I would not describe them as ghetto. I just hate when people give out false information on this site.
You ought to know that area before you accuse someone of being ignorant. Furthermore, I have not given out false information -- if you knew that area as well as you say you do, you could have given out better information that would have been more helpful, and less idyllic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2011, 09:04 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,660,053 times
Quote:
I guess it depends on what you consider ghetto. I know about the area near Cosca Park and that is probably by far the worst part of Clinton. With that said, to classify it as ghetto? That's a little bit irresponsible. That's like me saying that a guy was stabbed at the Ashdale Plaza the other day in Dale City, oh Woodbridge is ghetto. That's an exaggeration. I definitely agree that Clinton has it's bad parts, but it doesn't compare to a place like Suitland, or Hillcrest Heights or even Capitol Heights. Even with all that said, it's still not a good fit for the OP in my opinion.
I didn't classify it as "ghetto". If you look at my post I discussed the "ghetto" factor. A bit different. Also, the OP said she wants "absolutely no ghetto." Clinton has some ghetto attributes (as does Woodbridge). The OP is looking for very safe, no hint of crime area. Clinton is not it. I have rather strong opinions about Clinton and wouldn't recommend it at all (and this coming from someone living in Woodbridge).

Old 12-08-2011, 09:12 AM

10,125 posts, read 13,986,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
My comment refers to areas outside of Clinton, further out. The main artery to Clinton is Branch Avenue. Branch Avenue connects to Suitland to the north-east. Although the U.S. Census, NMAI, and other newish structures are there, it is transitional and some of those neighborhoods, may I avoid "ghetto"--are "shady". To the south and closer to DC is Hillcrest Heights which borders Southeast DC. Some of those neighborhoods are extremely shady. I was in SE DC the other day and some it was very nice; in other parts, it's car-jacking territory.
I can somewhat see your point. For the record, Suitland actually never connects with Branch Avenue, it is further up on Silver Hill Road. The only area that is around Branch Avenue at that point is Hillcrest Heights/Marlow Heights/Temple Hills or whatever they want to call it.

Quote:
If the OP plans to stay in her house or just drive back and forth to Andrews AFB, then she and her family won't encounter any of this. However, as a new person in the area, I doubt if those are her plans. All of these areas are between Clinton, MD and DC so if the OP plans to tour/visit DC, then she could easily get lost and drive into these neighborhoods. Anyone who has lived around the District knows how horrid and confusing the street systems are. For example, you can enter PA Avenue extended (that leads to Branch Ave) one way but can't get back out the same way. This is repeated in many of those streets/highways. The areas I mentioned above lie between the beltway and 295 which leads north and south to 95 so if the OP were on 95 and takes the wrong exit, she could end up in these neighborhoods. Furthermore, there is a tremendous amount of road construction in that area which makes it even more confusing to a new person (or even those of us who have lived here awhile).
I'm pretty sure your argument about avoiding ghetto areas can apply to Springfield as well. There are some not so nice neighborhoods near Fort Belvoir, Route 1 or in Eastern Springfield, perhaps not as bad the neighborhoods you are describing, but certainly not place I would want to venture either if I didn't know where I was going.

Quote:
So this really is not a good suggestion since the OP as she has requested good/decent schools.

You ought to know that area before you accuse someone of being ignorant. Furthermore, I have not given out false information -- if you knew that area as well as you say you do, you could have given out better information that would have been more helpful, and less idyllic.
You are talking about false information but you said that "Clinton, MD could work but you might accidentally enter the ghetto" without really explaining what that means. If I knew nothing about that area, I would assume you are telling me that Clinton and the areas around it are ghetto. That is just extremely vague and is one of the reasons why we are having this debate. I completely missed what you were trying to say based on that.

And for the record, how do you know what I know? I work in that area, I have family in those parts mentioned and I've been living in close to that area my whole life. I think you should stop trying to make assumptions about me.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I didn't classify it as "ghetto". If you look at my post I discussed the "ghetto" factor. A bit different. Also, the OP said she wants "absolutely no ghetto." Clinton has some ghetto attributes (as does Woodbridge). The OP is looking for very safe, no hint of crime area. Clinton is not it. I have rather strong opinions about Clinton and wouldn't recommend it at all (and this coming from someone living in Woodbridge).
I'm sorry for misunderstanding what you said. I do agree with you that Clinton has some questionable parts.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:29 AM

3,315 posts, read 10,091,820 times
Quote:
I can somewhat see your point. For the record, Suitland actually never connects with Branch Avenue, it is further up on Silver Hill Road. The only area that is around Branch Avenue at that point is Hillcrest Heights/Marlow Heights/Temple Hills or whatever they want to call it.
If you read my post, I mentioned major highway systems to the east and west acccessible into these areas. And as a newcomer, the OP could easily venture into these areas if she took the wrong exit on the beltway. Silver Hill Road connects directly to Branch as well as St. Barnabas and quite closely. My point is that Clinton does not exist in a small vacuum but accessible via many ways and that these "shady" neighborhoods lie within these means.

Quote:
I'm pretty sure your argument about avoiding ghetto areas can apply to Springfield as well.
We are not talking about Springfield. And I have not used the word "ghetto" -- I think, at this point, the OP needs to define "ghetto" for this discussion.

Quote:
You are talking about false information but you said that "Clinton, MD could work but you might accidentally enter the ghetto" without really explaining what that means. If I knew nothing about that area, I would assume you are telling me that Clinton and the areas around it are ghetto. That is just extremely vague and is one of the reasons why we are having this debate. I completely missed what you were trying to say based on that.
Then if this was your question, you should have asked it instead of calling me names.

Quote:
And for the record, how do you know what I know? I work in that area, I have family in those parts mentioned and I've been living in close to that area my whole life. I think you should stop trying to make assumptions about me.
Frankly, I don't know what you know nor do I care. But if you know the area as well as you say so, you could have described it the way I did. And if you have family "in those parts" or live nearby, you could have described the areas to avoid -- which I did.

Old 12-08-2011, 09:48 AM

Quote:
If you read my post, I mentioned major highway systems to the east and west acccessible into these areas. And as a newcomer, the OP could easily venture into these areas if she took the wrong exit on the beltway. Silver Hill Road connects directly to Branch as well as St. Barnabas and quite closely. My point is that Clinton does not exist in a small vacuum but accessible via many ways and that these "shady" neighborhoods lie within these means.
I never said what you said was wrong. Why are you bringing this back up? I agree with you, I don't understand why you think I didn't agree with you.

Quote:
We are not talking about Springfield. And I have not used the word "ghetto" -- I think, at this point, the OP needs to define "ghetto" for this discussion.
Well actually we technically are because that was one of the places the OP mentioned and it would be kind of silly to have this conversation in this part of the website without talking about some part of NoVA.

And you haven't used the word ghetto?????????

Quote:
Clinton, MD could work but you might accidentally enter the ghetto so maybe it won't work.

I agree that the OP should define what "ghetto" means. Ghetto is used a little bit too loosely and means different things for different people.

Quote:
Then if this was your question, you should have asked it instead of calling me names.

Frankly, I don't know what you know nor do I care. But if you know the area as well as you say so, you could have described it the way I did. And if you have family "in those parts" or live nearby, you could have described the areas to avoid -- which I did.
I didn't have to describe it because I already said Clinton wasn't a good area for her based on her criteria. Why would I describe an area in detail that I think she should avoid???? But since we are on the topic, have you ever been to Clinton?

Old 12-08-2011, 10:41 AM

384 posts, read 1,029,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy976 View Post
I am posting this in DC, Maryland, and Virginia.
So my fiance may possibly be taking a job at the Andrews AFB in Maryland. As a critical care nurse, I would be aiming for employment at Washington Hospital Center in DC. As neither of us have spent much time in this area, we really have no idea where to look as far as housing. We are coming from Fresno, California. We currently own a 3bed/2 1/2 bath in a nice suburb with excellent schools, low crime, and shopping nearby. I love it.
Here's what we need:
1) Absolutely no ghetto. I have anxiety about rape, burglary, and accidentally getting shot in drive-by's. I'm a young female with a 9 year old son, so I won't risk it. I'd like to feel comfortable jogging around the block.
2) Reasonable commute into DC (Under 45 minutes), and to the AFB.
3) Decent schools.
4) Neighbors who have jobs and pride in their homes.
5) Nearby shopping. I'd prefer not to drive an hour to get groceries or gas.
6) Well cared for homes, manicured lawns. I don't mind cookie cutter homes in nice suburbs. Some people hate it. I love it because it feels safe.

Based on the limited information I have about our prospective incomes when we move, I'm assuming we may be able to afford something around 400,000 or less. We may be renting for the first year.

I found Clinton, MD. I did some research, and the north east of it looks like something we may like. But of course, google maps can paint a different picture than those who actually live there will. What do you guys think?

Any other ideas? I was looking at Springfield, VA too, but it looks expensive. Obviously we can't afford anything insanely expensive, but I'm hoping we can find a middle ground somewhere. Hoping someone can help! Thanks!
Hi,

If you want excellent schools, safety, and proximity to shopping then you should consider Arlington. Based on your budget of 400k, that might get you a condo. Note the commute from Virginia to DC in the morning is very intense.

There are some nice areas in Prince Georges County, MD but there are also quite a few rough neighborhoods. I personally wouldn't live in Clinton if I had a late night/early morning schedule. I would move toward Waldorf or Bowie if I were to live in Maryland. Commuting from southern Maryland to DC is really awful. So Bowie may be a better option for you.

The cost of living in this area is extremely high. People pay a premium for proximity to metro, excellent schools, and shopping. If you see an overly low rent, there is probably a good reason like the crime rate or the schools are bad.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:03 AM

8,630 posts, read 9,137,436 times
Having lived all over the metro area I would recommend either Alexandria-Springfield Virginia. In Maryland I would recommend White Plains or La Plata, Maryland, however the traffic will be an issue from the latter two. In PG county, MD, in order to have a shorter commute, I'd look at Upper Marlboro or Brandywine but the schools might be an issue as stated before, but not sure. Over all crime in Va is lower, more expensive in some ways such as housing but cheaper perhaps in other areas such as utilities and car insurance. Schools have a much better rep in VA than PG but not sure about southern Md schools.

Old 12-08-2011, 11:09 AM

722 posts, read 1,923,494 times
Quote:

I agree that the OP should define what "ghetto" means. Ghetto is used a little bit too loosely and means different things for different people.

It's funny, because I moved here from California, and we always had the impression that Fresno (where the OP says she is from) was "ghetto". Different standards apply for different people though...

Old 12-08-2011, 11:18 AM

8,868 posts, read 12,562,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HereinVA View Post

It's funny, because I moved here from California, and we always had the impression that Fresno (where the OP says she is from) was "ghetto". Different standards apply for different people though...

Ghetto

Vilna: A Yiddish song. Performed by Fraidy Katz. Directed by Wolf Krakowski - YouTube
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia