Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-07-2011, 05:45 PM

7 posts, read 33,036 times

Advertisements

I am posting this in DC, Maryland, and Virginia.
So my fiance may possibly be taking a job at the Andrews AFB in Maryland. As a critical care nurse, I would be aiming for employment at Washington Hospital Center in DC. As neither of us have spent much time in this area, we really have no idea where to look as far as housing. We are coming from Fresno, California. We currently own a 3bed/2 1/2 bath in a nice suburb with excellent schools, low crime, and shopping nearby. I love it.
Here's what we need:
1) Absolutely no ghetto. I have anxiety about rape, burglary, and accidentally getting shot in drive-by's. I'm a young female with a 9 year old son, so I won't risk it. I'd like to feel comfortable jogging around the block.
2) Reasonable commute into DC (Under 45 minutes), and to the AFB.
3) Decent schools.
4) Neighbors who have jobs and pride in their homes.
5) Nearby shopping. I'd prefer not to drive an hour to get groceries or gas.
6) Well cared for homes, manicured lawns. I don't mind cookie cutter homes in nice suburbs. Some people hate it. I love it because it feels safe.

Based on the limited information I have about our prospective incomes when we move, I'm assuming we may be able to afford something around 400,000 or less. We may be renting for the first year.

I found Clinton, MD. I did some research, and the north east of it looks like something we may like. But of course, google maps can paint a different picture than those who actually live there will. What do you guys think?

Any other ideas? I was looking at Springfield, VA too, but it looks expensive. Obviously we can't afford anything insanely expensive, but I'm hoping we can find a middle ground somewhere. Hoping someone can help! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-07-2011, 07:43 PM

10,125 posts, read 14,004,074 times
Clinton is nice but the schools aren't that good. I think Springfield is a much, much better fit. You won't have a lot of options at that price range but you might be able to get a townhome if you decide to buy. Springfield also has a Metro/VRE station just in case you want to use public transportation to DC. I think others can give you more detail about Springfield.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:36 PM

2,635 posts, read 3,515,655 times
Given your list of criteria, your best option will be to live on base. Try to get a job at Malcolm Grow hospital. Otherwise there are several other hospitals and clinics in the area.

If you're coming from California, get legally married before you move. Then the USAF will pickup your household goods, pay your relocation expenses, and you'll have his insurance.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:40 PM

3,315 posts, read 10,101,824 times
Clinton, MD could work but you might accidentally enter the ghetto so maybe it won't work.

Old 12-07-2011, 08:46 PM

722 posts, read 1,925,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoke_Jaguar4 View Post
Given your list of criteria, your best option will be to live on base. Try to get a job at Malcolm Grow hospital. Otherwise there are several other hospitals and clinics in the area.

If you're coming from California, get legally married before you move. Then the USAF will pickup your household goods, pay your relocation expenses, and you'll have his insurance.
I wonder if they are elligible? I noticed she said he may be "taking a job"--not PCSing or "will be stationed"...so I thought he might be a civilian worker of some type?
Also, if they are elligible, is there a wait list? When we first moved out here to Quantico they told us the wait list for base housing was 18 months!

Old 12-08-2011, 05:24 AM

798 posts, read 2,730,736 times
A fair number of folks I know who have been stationed at Andrews, live in Upper Marlboro. I don’t know about the schools so you would need to look in to that.. Springfield and Alexandria (Fairfax County) might have reasonable options for you as well.

Old 12-08-2011, 06:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South Jersey Styx View Post
Clinton, MD could work but you might accidentally enter the ghetto so maybe it won't work.
I'm sorry that's just an ignorant comment. There are some parts of Clinton that aren't that great, but I would not describe them as ghetto. Clinton is actually not that bad as far as safety, and the only areas near Clinton are Brandywine, Upper Marlboro, Accokeek, and parts of Temple Hills. The part of Temple Hills that surrounds Clinton is very quiet. The rest of those places are decent place but they just don't have good schools. I just hate when people give out false information on this site.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:46 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,683,268 times
I have to differ on the Clinton opinon. I lived in Clinton from 1976 to 1994. I moved out of there because of the "ghetto" factor. It might appear nice, superficially, however, when you have teenage kids running around your streets and pulling out a gun (yes I saw it out my front window) well, that was the "last straw" for me. I lived down by Louise F. Cosca Park. I still have friends that live in the area, they have no children so they don't deal with the schools. They work in places like Indian Head and points south so, travel wise, it is a good location for them but based on the OP's fears, I would not move there.

It's a shame. I pretty much grew up there and it changed so much.

Old 12-08-2011, 07:54 AM

2,380 posts, read 4,520,374 times
From what I can gather, Upper Marlboro and Bowie are characterized by being OK to great safety-wise but zoned with some bits and pieces of the ghetto at the MS/HS level. Folks familiar with Prince George's can identify the areas to avoid and the areas that are OK to great.

Springfield might work best on all fronts, it's not a terrible commute there to Andrews and DC proper, and there's also Inova Fairfax and Inova Fair Oaks nearby as well as the DC hospitals.

I don't know how "fussy" you are about ghetto. You may find some areas of North Springfield, Springfield Springfield, Franconia and Alexandria address/Fairfax County to not be your cup of tea. I'd rate the schools as better than Upper Marlboro/Bowie but the actual area as a shade worse safety-wise (does that make sense?) Of course the worse parts of Prince George's make the entire county look bad.

I don't think West Springfield is on anyone's list of "places to avoid".

I also don't know your budget, which would advise us.

Old 12-08-2011, 08:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I have to differ on the Clinton opinon. I lived in Clinton from 1976 to 1994. I moved out of there because of the "ghetto" factor. It might appear nice, superficially, however, when you have teenage kids running around your streets and pulling out a gun (yes I saw it out my front window) well, that was the "last straw" for me. I lived down by Louise F. Cosca Park. I still have friends that live in the area, they have no children so they don't deal with the schools. They work in places like Indian Head and points south so, travel wise, it is a good location for them but based on the OP's fears, I would not move there.

It's a shame. I pretty much grew up there and it changed so much.
I guess it depends on what you consider ghetto. I know about the area near Cosca Park and that is probably by far the worst part of Clinton. With that said, to classify it as ghetto? That's a little bit irresponsible. That's like me saying that a guy was stabbed at the Ashdale Plaza the other day in Dale City, oh Woodbridge is ghetto. That's an exaggeration. I definitely agree that Clinton has it's bad parts, but it doesn't compare to a place like Suitland, or Hillcrest Heights or even Capitol Heights. Even with all that said, it's still not a good fit for the OP in my opinion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia