Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2011, 05:28 PM

3,550 posts, read 6,506,545 times

Advertisements

I went to my niece's recital and it seems like every other kid's last name was either sun or sung, or chung or lee or zung or park or jong

Old 12-09-2011, 05:32 PM

1,534 posts, read 3,732,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencgr View Post
I, on the other hand, find most of the people in this region have a varied mix of friends who socialize amongst cultures.
Very true. Except for Yankees fans. I put up with them but tend not to socialize with them.

Old 12-09-2011, 05:37 PM

560 posts, read 1,295,704 times
With this map you can zoom out to anywhere in the U.S. to find a place that is just right for you -

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com

Old 12-09-2011, 07:49 PM

1,225 posts, read 2,425,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky★ View Post
With this map you can zoom out to anywhere in the U.S. to find a place that is just right for you -

Mapping the 2010 U.S. Census - NYTimes.com
wow, interesting.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:15 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,333,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Workaholic? View Post
I want to know what happened to the white people who used to dominate Fairfax County. Are they still here, or has the huge increase in ethnic minorities and immigrants caused a white flight of these old fashioned Americans to more traditional places like the rest of VA, NC, Tennessee, or Ohio where most people are just regular folks
The only "white flight" I see is younger folks from the NoVA suburbs moving into DC because they enjoy a more urban lifestyle. I've lived here 20 years and it doesn't seem much different now from then.

Old 12-10-2011, 03:19 AM

14,129 posts, read 31,333,598 times
Quote:
In my experience the Greeks hang out with other Greeks, People from Egypt hang out with other people from Egypt and those from Morocco hang out with fellow countryman. The population has become balkanized and don't mix. It is not like a group of white 5th Generation Americans making new friends with a new comer to the area from Wisconsin!
That usually disappears after a generation. How many Irish or Italian neighborhoods are there anymore? Kids have this funny habit of befriending and marrying kids from other cultures.

Old 12-10-2011, 05:48 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,753,836 times
Quote:
I do like my neighbors and on a personal basis I usually like the ethnic minorities and immigrants that have taken the place of the white people who left.

I have no personal distaste for the browning of the Fairfax County population, but still wonder where all the white people went to!
I'm glad you added this, as the subject line had me kind of wondering.

As others have noted, there's been a lot of immigration into the US in the last 40 years. (The previous large wave [Irish and Italians] was 1880-1920 or thereabouts.) This last wave, most of the countries worth getting the hell out of (due to wars, starvation, poverty) have been populated by folks who are not white.

In addition, the newer groups tend to have more children than do European Americans (barring exceptions like Mormons and traditional Catholics). Their native countries are more recently agricultural, where it pays to have a big family, and we haven't been mostly farms since I don't know--the 1920s? Maybe before that?

Some people will always feel discomfort when new people show up. But I'm reassured when I think of how just about every Mexican American back in Texas speaks English with an American accent or even a Texas accent. And it works in reverse; my great-grandparents would perhaps have been horrified to know that I grew up eating tacos at home.

Ain't that America.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:16 PM

53 posts, read 99,724 times
For what its worth, I was just taking a day trip to Shepherdstown, WV and its apparently a magnet for retirees. Had dinner at the Bavarian Inn and overheard some conversations from nearby tables from retired CIA folks (all "white" as far as I could tell) so it would seem like they're moving to places with lower cost-of-living and a slower pace of life.

Old 12-12-2011, 02:44 AM

511 posts, read 2,456,099 times
Default White Flight?

Wild and Wonderful West Virginia is one of the whitest places in America. The Panhandle of WV, which is within commuting distance of Washington DC, is booming and nearly everyone is white! I wonder if the people who live in places like Charlestown are in fact escaping from the "New America" and want to live in a place similar to where they grew up but still work in the DC area with its higher wages. I also notice that Frederick County MD is booming and full of white people.

* In today's politically correct world few people would admit they moved to a place because they felt more comfortable being around a majority white population but I suspect deep down many Washington DC area refugees who moved to places like Harpers Ferry, Martinsburg, Winchester, Frederick and Charlestown actually moved there for that very reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bull Run Paradise View Post
For what its worth, I was just taking a day trip to Shepherdstown, WV and its apparently a magnet for retirees. Had dinner at the Bavarian Inn and overheard some conversations from nearby tables from retired CIA folks (all "white" as far as I could tell) so it would seem like they're moving to places with lower cost-of-living and a slower pace of life.

Old 12-12-2011, 03:52 AM

9,900 posts, read 14,213,577 times
Quote:
because they felt more comfortable being around a majority white population
Please explain why an area that is not "majority white" makes people (assumingly you, too) uncomfortable?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia