Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-13-2011, 09:54 AM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,326 times

Advertisements

I always give gift cards to my service providers like maids, landscape guys, and handymen, but my question is specificaly about the etiquette for it.

Until about three months ago, I always had the same two maids come and clean my house (it's a maid service company). But one of them quit, and now there's a new maid that comes with my old regular one during every cleaning. This new one is different each time, but the other one has been coming for the last three years. So like every Christmas, I bought two gift cards for my regular maid and whichever new one will show up with her.

My buddy and I were discussing something and this maid situation and gift giving came up. His point was that I do not need to give any gifts to the new one. He said that the gift is an appreciation of the work they have done for you and the relationship that has been established. If I do not know the new maid there should be no pressure to gift her since she will be gifted by the customers who have her as a regular maid.

Somehow I don't think it's correct to just give a gift to one maid and not the other when both of them are in my house cleaning. In my opinion, it's the season to give and not worry about such minor technical details.

What do you think? Do you agree with him or with me? Or do you have an entirely different opinion?

Regards,
K
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-13-2011, 10:03 AM

10,914 posts, read 31,394,981 times
I would give to both of the cleaning staff, the one who has been coming for years, and the one who happens to be assigned to her team on the day that you dispense gifts to the personnel. It would be rude not to include the second maid, IMO, even if you do not have an established relationship with her, since you do have a relationship with the company. Your instincts are correct, in that both service providers should be treated equally.

City-Data Terms of Service
City-Data FAQs

Old 12-13-2011, 10:16 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,723,135 times
I'd do as BMWGuy suggests but give the main maid more than the new one--of course putting the cash in envelopes so that the difference isn't apparent. You could give it all to the one maid to distribute as she sees fit among her assistants--but I agree it would be awkward.

As to giving gifts to handymen, etc., I don't think that's customary outside of NYC. It's not like when you have a super who's always coming around to fix stuff. (Or maybe you do.) If it's some company or guy who comes a few times a year, I wouldn't tip them. To my knowledge, no one tips plumbers, electricians, etc.

I can tell already that this thread is dangerously close to becoming a debate on tipping!

Old 12-13-2011, 12:16 PM

3,164 posts, read 6,951,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutra11 View Post
I always give gift cards to my service providers like maids, landscape guys, and handymen, but my question is specificaly about the etiquette for it.

Until about three months ago, I always had the same two maids come and clean my house (it's a maid service company). But one of them quit, and now there's a new maid that comes with my old regular one during every cleaning. This new one is different each time, but the other one has been coming for the last three years. So like every Christmas, I bought two gift cards for my regular maid and whichever new one will show up with her.

My buddy and I were discussing something and this maid situation and gift giving came up. His point was that I do not need to give any gifts to the new one. He said that the gift is an appreciation of the work they have done for you and the relationship that has been established. If I do not know the new maid there should be no pressure to gift her since she will be gifted by the customers who have her as a regular maid.

Somehow I don't think it's correct to just give a gift to one maid and not the other when both of them are in my house cleaning. In my opinion, it's the season to give and not worry about such minor technical details.

What do you think? Do you agree with him or with me? Or do you have an entirely different opinion?

Regards,
K
Gift cards? Why not cash? Let them decide where to spend it. I thought the etiquette for this was to give them an addition sum of money equal to their usual pay. So, if you normally pay $100 each time they come, you give them an extra $100 at Christmas. I give it to the maid who owns the business, and she can split it with her helpers, if she chooses.

Old 12-13-2011, 04:38 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,786,780 times
You can also give an American Express Card or Visa Card - this way she can spend it anywhere. Personally, I would give a larger amount to the one who has been giving you service for three years and has been loyal, etc. Since you give them each a card, it wouldn't appear like you are treating one better than the other.

Old 12-13-2011, 05:23 PM

1,339 posts, read 3,466,326 times
Thanks everyone for your replies.

Old 12-24-2012, 03:49 PM

1 posts, read 3,988 times
I am a housekeeper and I recieved nothing--not even a merry chrismas from one house. I did recieve a note which stated, "I will not need you next friday". I can't wait to find a replacement for this cheap *****.

Old 12-24-2012, 06:56 PM

15,143 posts, read 27,776,049 times
nice that you never posted but chose this one to open with.

Old 12-25-2012, 08:09 AM

7,670 posts, read 14,240,235 times
I don't have maids, landscape people or handymen working for me. I have also never felt the need to tip barbers, mail carriers and so on. I wonder how this tradition started?

Old 12-25-2012, 11:09 PM

3,650 posts, read 9,501,943 times
Well - I started dog walking part time in Sept. and never even thought I would get Christmas gifts but I did - I know I shouldnt but I kinda resented not getting a gift from some people - even a little home baked bread or something would mean they appreciate me - so now I wont do the little extra I did for them - like roll their garbage can in or take their packages inside. - It pays to give a little gift - makes people feel appreciated and willing to do more for you
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
View detailed profiles of: