Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-18-2011, 06:08 PM

9,511 posts, read 9,096,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by car54 View Post
People will figure it out. The Pentagon has parking spaces for little more than one third of it's employees...been like that for decades. It's probably worse now that they ran Rt 110 through North Parking, but I don't know for sure...I retired just as they were starting work on that.

I qualified for a Pentagon parking space due to longevity and grade, but I had gotten so used to riding the bus, I let my assistant use my spot. She was very appreciative...
This is the opposite problem as the Pentagon; way more parking spaces than actual vehicles. There are over 6,000 available parking spaces at the Mark Center and now with only 2,000 "authorized" to park, thousands of spaces will go unused in an attempt to reduce 395 traffic. Genius.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2011, 11:56 AM

12,906 posts, read 15,668,560 times
I work on a federal facility within DC. We are held to some standard by the National Capitol Planning Commission that there can only be one parking space for every five employees. We are DESPERATE for parking spots as it is so difficult for many to get to work on public transporation but it is so hard to park that the restrictions really do force people to use public transit or carpool when they wouldn't necessarily do so. I guess that's the thought process here?

Old 12-19-2011, 01:30 PM

5,759 posts, read 10,729,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I work on a federal facility within DC. We are held to some standard by the National Capitol Planning Commission that there can only be one parking space for every five employees. We are DESPERATE for parking spots as it is so difficult for many to get to work on public transporation but it is so hard to park that the restrictions really do force people to use public transit or carpool when they wouldn't necessarily do so. I guess that's the thought process here?
That is indeed what these planners types intended. And I'm grateful to know that your agency is under that restriction; I will scratch it off my list of potential future employers! (No offense at all--just that this would mean a crazy-long Metro ride for me. It might make sense for others.)

I'm game for a short Metro trip or a short car ride, but not a long commute by either one.

Old 01-13-2012, 11:09 PM

28 posts, read 48,226 times
I live in Mark Center off N Beauregard. The traffic has not increased since the BRAC has opened. Are all the 6000+ working there yet? Also everyday since Oct around 5-7 pm there are police cars at most intersections on N Beauregard and at Seminary. They just sit there with lights on doing nothing.

Old 01-14-2012, 09:12 AM

5,759 posts, read 10,729,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by coair73x View Post
I live in Mark Center off N Beauregard. The traffic has not increased since the BRAC has opened. Are all the 6000+ working there yet? Also everyday since Oct around 5-7 pm there are police cars at most intersections on N Beauregard and at Seminary. They just sit there with lights on doing nothing.
Everybody knows nothing scares a terrorist like flashing lights!

They do that in the mornings too. Crazy. I blast past them with the aggression required in order to get around the people turning into Mark Center and also go around the majority who are getting onto 395N. It's like white-water rafting.

Old 01-14-2012, 10:10 AM

491 posts, read 1,171,188 times
Ooh ... don't let too many people know there's space of any kind at Mark Center! They'll be setting up an Occupy camp before you know it!
(but it'll give the police officers something to do)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Virginia > Northern Virginia